British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-11, 05:31 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Repairs and recommendations.

Hello gentlemen,

Can I start by thanking all the members who, in the past, have either praised my work or recommended my work to others.

I do enjoy the challenges sometimes set for me and the straight forward repairs are obviously a simple way for me to keep my hand in, so to speak.

By now everyone knows that I am not in business, some say I should charge more but personally I am happy to earn a few pounds and occasionally by a decent badge etc.

Word of mouth is in my opinion one of the best recommendations going, not only for my repairs but for all walks of life but now and again it can backfire.

A few weeks ago, I received a message from a gentleman abroad who had been given my name as a possible answer to his particular problem, he had several damaged, brooched, silver badges and could I repair them.

As I do, I explained the various options that he could take and agreed to source some silver findings, a week ago I was successful and ordered ten sets of joints, hooks and pins, two of those being sterling silver, I then wrote to the gentleman telling him this and how much it would cost him for me to re-brooch and clean his badges, £6.00p each.

I thought this was ridiculously cheap but tonight I have receive a message thanking me for my time and help but did I mind the fact that he had changed his mind.

What is my point, those of you who haven't fallen asleep are asking, well it is this, as much as I welcome all your kind words and recommendations, I will in future only repair badges for people I know or those who are actually recommended to me.

As I explained to the gentleman involved, I am a little disappointed that he let me do all the sourcing etc and then knowing what I had done, he changed his mind, in my book it is his prerogative but also, not on.......

Not so much a rant but a point I felt I have to relate.....

Dave.
Old 14-10-11, 05:54 PM

davec2, I totally agree with you. Keep up the good work, matey

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 14-10-11, 07:01 PM

Dave,
I don't know what country he's from, but do have an answer ready for when he comes back and asks " if it is £6 for one surely you san do several for £4 each"
Eddie
Old 14-10-11, 07:10 PM

I can't stand timewasters, I've come across a few but the pleasure is always mine when they come back another day!!!!!!!! Plenty more decent folk out there for you Dave, not a nice experience though mate, chin up fella
Wilf.
Old 14-10-11, 07:31 PM

Angry Let down feeling . . !

Dave, I think we have all been let down by time wasters at one time or another, they are a pain, but there again once bitten . . !

Regards Rob
Old 14-10-11, 07:40 PM

I'm really sorry about what is happening to you Dave. No worries. If I have some more badges to be repaired, you'll be the one I contact, your price will be mine.
Old 14-10-11, 07:42 PM

Thanks lads,

Yes, perhaps a lesson learned...." don't jump the gun " ???

He has just come back to me asking if perhaps I could use brass pins !!! the originals are brass, when I suggested using like for like, he didn't fancy that, so I bought base metal silver alloy pins ??

I have, I'm sorry to say, told him to stick to his plan and sell them on ebay as damaged badges.....

Still annoyed but as always, I will get over it, far worse things than this are happening, aren't they ??

Dave.
Old 14-10-11, 08:34 PM

Don't worry mate, I will still keep buying broken badges specially so you can repair them!
Keep up the fantastic work.

John
Old 14-10-11, 09:19 PM

Me too!
Eddie
Old 17-10-11, 02:55 AM

Hi Dave,

your work is always excellent and I don't mind paying what you ask.

The thought occurred the other day that I have sent quite a few badges to you, that had been converted to broaches by someone in the past, that I now wanted converting back.....perhaps in the light of the above, you should save the old pins for guys like this.

Food for thought.

Iain
Old 17-10-11, 03:11 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Dave,
Heartily agree with your sentiments. Hang on in there.
Rgds, David
Old 17-10-11, 07:19 PM

Cheers Gents,

It's now water under the bridge, the gentleman has apologised, I have accepted, in fact I told him apologies were not necessary although I refused to continue doing business with him ( amicably I think ), just as well because he is a visitor to our Forum but I do have ten sets of new pins, joints and hooks to use and a very reliable supplier.

Hi Iain,

Sadly, when I get brooches to repair or re-loop, the parts that are invariably missing/broken are the pins and joints, I do have a couple of dozen hooks though

All the best and thanks again.

Dave.

PS, When I do get a good pin it is used almost immediately ??

Last edited by davec2; 17-10-11 at 07:46 PM.
Old 18-10-11, 06:24 AM

There's at least one more coming your way in the near future.

Iain