British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-11, 06:52 PM

Default French pin (help needed)

Can someone tell me more about this pin (unit, date, etc.). All I know is that it's from the French army.

Front: Cours Ta Chance
Back: 29e Bon de Chars

Maker: Cheron Royer Paris 90 rue des archives

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-10-11, 08:25 PM

Hello VC, what you have here is the badge for the France's 29ème Bataillon de Char de Combat. It is listed at 250 Euros on a french dealer's list. Could very well be a pre-war unit.
Jo
P.S.
According to some informations, the 29ème was part of the 3rd French Army with the 51st Bataillon de Char de Combat. The 29ème was ,still in 1939-1940 equpped with FT17 tanks.So, this unit could have been in action in the 1940 Campaign.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 07-10-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 01:35 PM

Thx for your help Voltigeur.
It's always nice to hear that one of my badges is worth something. Especially when I bought it much cheaper .

Can you give me more information about this French dealer's list. It could be usefull for identifying other french badges.
Old 10-10-11, 02:00 PM

hi there,

I think Jo was referring to Lavocat

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-10-11, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LBH View Post
hi there,

I think Jo was referring to Lavocat

Cheers
Phil
C'est bien lui.
Merci Phil
Amitiés
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 10-10-11, 03:32 PM

The 29 e BCC (= Bataillon de Chars de Combat) was raised at the beginning of WW II in Rouen from the 503 e RCC (= Régiment de Chars de Combat) a peacetime tank unit and CM 513 (= Centre Mobilisateur 513) a peacetime depot unit. So it is not exactly a peacetime unit.
It was rather ill-fated (and what else could happen with FT 17 tanks ....) during the May 1940 fights.
The distnctive insignia of a second rate unit of this size is very uncommon and hard to find indeed!

http://www.atf40.fr/ATF40/chars.html#BCC
Old 10-10-11, 03:56 PM

Merci iffig pour le lien, site interessant.
Jo

Thanks iffig for the link,interesting website.
Jo