British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-11, 07:36 AM

Default SWB look ups

Can anyone please tell me the cheapest/quickest way to find the recipients of SWB`s.
Thanks

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-09-11, 07:47 AM
Banned

Peter - Sorry, I know that many people thrive on alphabet soup but plain English is always best for me. SWBs being ? David

Last edited by CftD; 02-09-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 08:08 AM
Badge Guru

Peter is talking about Silver War Badges. As far as I am aware the cheapest price is £.4.50 for copy of the relevant page when you know the name of the recipient and when you only know the badge number the price is £5.00. There is only J. Collins advertising the fact he does the research for those on the net.

It is a shame no one else sees a need to advertise the service on the net. There must be others but how exactly will anyone know who they are if they don't advertise?

The other alternative is to buy the books for each unit. Sadly, there is no book for your much loved Liverpool Regiment.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 02-09-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 08:29 AM

I have a good research contact who is also very reasonable. He does all the look ups at Kew for me when the information is not available on the net. Pm me your email address and I'll forward his details to you when I get home on the weekend.
Old 02-09-11, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Peter is talking about Silver War Badges. As far as I am aware the cheapest price is £.4.50 for copy of the relevant page when you know the name of the recipient and when you only know the badge number the price is £5.00. There is only J. Collins advertising the fact he does the research for those on the net.

It is a shame no one else sees a need to advertise the service on the net. There must be others but how exactly will anyone know who they are if they don't advertise?

The other alternative is to buy the books for each unit. Sadly, there is no book for your much loved Liverpool Regiment.
Now I understand the lauguage I can respond. My experence has always been to telephone one of the major medal dealers and ask them to obtain the information for me. I gladly pay a small fee (£3 - £5) without the need to surround myself with reference material. As I need such information very infrequently, it proves a cost-effective way of obtaining the information. David
Old 02-09-11, 08:47 AM
Badge Guru

I forgot to add.......all badges with RN prefix can be researched using an Ancestry account. The complete admiralty roll is there, so no need to spend a fiver.....that's assuming you already have an account :-)
Old 02-09-11, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Peter - Sorry, I know that many people thrive on albhabet soup but plain English is always best for me. SWBs being ? David
Is that anything like Alphabet soup ? Correct spelling always works for me !

Paul L
Old 02-09-11, 02:15 PM

Thanks to everyone.

Kevin PM sent.

TTFN

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”