British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-11, 08:28 AM
Former Member

Default Trial Pattern 26th Hussars - Copy For Sale "BEWARE"

I see a Trial Pattern 26H badge has appeared on the dealers circuit priced at £85. In my opinion this is a copy so Members should steer well clear, unless they want their fingers burnt! I did send the seller a message with my concerns which was deleted without response!

I have loaded some images of what I believe to be a "Genuine" example into this album (captions to follow soon):

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1178

Key features to look at are Font Style, Seeding to Base Scroll, Wrong Shaped Slider with Dodgy Crimp Mark and Crown Shape and Detail!

Happy hunting!

One for the Mods! Would it be appropriate to add a link here to the site it is being offered on?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 31-08-11 at 10:00 AM.
Old 31-08-11, 09:04 AM

They are only £9 here Rob.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...rs-985967.html
Old 31-08-11, 09:11 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Rob,
thanks for that, that's still probably twice as much as I'd be prepared to pay for a "Gap Filler"!

Andy
Old 31-08-11, 09:14 AM
LYPAO Boff

Rob
Ah yes, vendors (Surplus Outdoors) of these two horrors as well (take a look at their 1RDs also)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake3.jpg (45.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg USAFirmin.jpg (54.2 KB, 57 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 31-08-11 at 01:52 PM.
Old 31-08-11, 09:52 AM

Hi Andy,
thanks for the warning. It seems that we "spotted" the same badge, am thus happy not to be a Hussars badge collector

Cheers
Phil
Old 31-08-11, 10:05 AM
Former Member

Phil,
no worries, I'm happy to provide the info and my opinion! What other members do with it is up to them, if as a Forum we can prevent other members from buying such items then I'm happy!

The same site, whilst having mostly genuine items for sale does have some I would steer well clear of!!! Look at the Yeomanry section for example!

Andy
Old 31-08-11, 12:54 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LBH View Post
Hi Andy,
thanks for the warning. It seems that we "spotted" the same badge, am thus happy not to be a Hussars badge collector

Cheers
Phil
Hi Phil

The badge in question is exactly the same as Peter Seaman has in his book on page 4, the measurements are the same as Peter Seaman has 1.5/8 in height and 1.3/16 across the scroll. The only difference is mine does not have a named scroll.
It looks like according to the Ex-Guru that the one in Peter Seamans book is wrong aswell.
Old 31-08-11, 12:57 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Rob

The one that you have illustrated is actaully bigger in mesaurements than mine and Pater Seamans.

Peter.
Old 31-08-11, 01:50 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Hi Phil

The badge in question is exactly the same as Peter Seaman has in his book on page 4, the measurements are the same as Peter Seaman has 1.5/8 in height and 1.3/16 across the scroll. The only difference is mine does not have a named scroll.
It looks like according to the Ex-Guru that the one in Peter Seamans book is wrong aswell.
Peter,
thanks for participating in the thread, perhaps you could put some images on here and allow others to make up there own minds! I'm more than happy to continue the debate as this is a scarce badge!

Best regards

Andy
Old 31-08-11, 02:38 PM

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

I have in my collection both the gilding metal trial pattern 26th Hussars head dress badge and the officers pattern in bronze along with a pair of matching bronze collar badges.
Both the gilding metal and bronze badges are exactly the same in all facing details. And all the above mentioned items came from the late Hugh King's estate. The details also correspond with the details on the gilding metal badge illustrated by 2747andy. All of these badges are illustrated in my book listed in the book section.

I can confirm that the gilding etal trial pattern badge in question was reproduced by Gaunts in 1973 at a cost of £1 and fitted with a slider, some of which are stamped J.R.GAUNT B'HAM.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 31-08-11, 03:12 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Hi Phil

Peter,
despite being a better example than the one shown by Rob, IMO yours is still not genuine! So it seems at least one Peter is wrong?

Andy
Old 31-08-11, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that the gilding etal trial pattern badge in question was reproduced by Gaunts in 1973 at a cost of £1 and fitted with a slider, some of which are stamped J.R.GAUNT B'HAM.
This one I presume?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1015[1].jpg (97.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1016[1].jpg (97.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 31-08-11, 03:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post

I have in my collection both the gilding metal trial pattern 26th Hussars head dress badge and the officers pattern in bronze along with a pair of matching bronze collar badges.
Both the gilding metal and bronze badges are exactly the same in all facing details. And all the above mentioned items came from the late Hugh King's estate. The details also correspond with the details on the gilding metal badge illustrated by 2747andy. All of these badges are illustrated in my book listed in the book section.

All good wishes,

Peter

Peter,
thanks as always for your detailed information, I really must add a copy of your book to my library!

Andy
Old 31-08-11, 03:52 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter seaman View Post

All good wishes,

Peter
Hi peter your book is a excellent full of good info and photos of good badge

peter

Please vist my website http://petertaylormilitaria.com

Last edited by peter616; 10-10-11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 31-08-11, 06:23 PM

Good evening Andy & Peter,

All that I can add to my previous is that the OSD badge & matching OSD collars that I mentioned came to me via Bosleys. The gilding metal pattern from Hugh King himself.
Peter - thank you for your compliments about my book, much appreciated.

All good wishes,

Peter