British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-08-11, 03:20 PM

Default Does anybody know....?

Hi All,
I was going through some of my gfather's things on the weekend and came across these notes. I don't know what they were used for, but Im guessing they were maybe used for gambling?

I have a report here with the same "castle" (from the back of the notes) which reads:
"General Headquarters
South West Pacific Area
Office Of The Chief Engineer
Intelligence Section"

Across the top of the notes it reads "Engineer Topographic Battalion"
In the rolling ribbon above the women's heads it reads "The Engineers"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Matt

Old 26-08-11, 04:30 PM

Matt,

I am assuming that you are Australian and so was your grandfather. Do you know if he was assigned to the General Headquarters Southwest Pacific Area and, if he was, to what unit? This was MacArthur's headquarters. I would think Mac would have had an engineer section which needed someone to produce maps which would require gathering the data needed to ensure accuracy. That would explain the intelligence reference. The insignia on the back of these bills is the US Army Corps of Engineers castle and the cap insignia for the US Army. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that these may have been some type of military script, used instead of dollars. I would have to think your explanation is more likely. They do look like Monopoly money.

Don
Old 26-08-11, 04:59 PM

Hi Don,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are correct in presuming that I am Aussie (as was my gfather).

Jack was a Captain with the 2/33 Austrlaian Infantry Battalion, AIF. This was part of the 7th Division.

From what I know, this dates to the Balikpapan, Borneo region in 1945.
The 2/33 used Engineer Intelligence reports.

I was curious because like you said, maybe they were used instead of money, maybe they were used for gambling amongst the men? Hopefully someone knows.
Thanks for replying.
Regards,
Matt

Old 26-08-11, 05:53 PM

Matt,

After doing a little more research I've found that the American battalion responsible for maps was the 650th Engineer Topographic Battalion. Digging a little more I found this point of contact:

650th Engr Topographic Bn (WWII)
LTC Otto A. Ewaldsen, USA, Retired
113 Dogleg Lane
Port Ludlow, WA 98365-9581
(Newsletter)
(360) 437-0399

I don't know if this is still valid or if, in fact, it is the right unit. Still, it might be worth a try. If you find out anything please let me know.

Also, if you Goggle the 650th there are other references. Good luck.

Don
Old 27-08-11, 09:21 AM

Thanks Don,
I really appreciate your help with this one. I will try and make contact with him (or someone) and see what can be uncovered.

Hmm.. I hope it doesnt get to a point where I no longer have queries/questions about all this stuff, cos I am enjoying it far too much for it to end!!

Regards,
Matt