British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-11, 05:09 PM

Default 3rd World Country ?

We used to be world leaders in many areas,it seems now we cant even police the country without calling on advice from former Police Chiefs from America.

Do we actually need this sort of advice from abroad or is it a question of "boy band" politicians from all political persuations not having the experience or confidence to make their own decisions or being prepared to rely on the advice given by long serving public servants.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-08-11, 05:19 PM

Default 3rd World Country

Peter,

I think Cameron has a 'thing' for this American. Firstly he tried to get him installed as Met Commissioner. When that was quashed by the Home Sec it seems Cameron is trying to get him in by the back door.

We don't need Ameircan advice as their problems are very differant from ours.
We do need politicians who do not back-stab the police. At least maggie Thatcher had the sense to keep the police on-side when she took on the world.

If we want to discuss 3rd World issues: why does the UK give financial 'aid' to India, a country that can afford a space program?

Stephen.
Old 13-08-11, 05:21 PM

''We do need politicians who do not back-stab the police. At least maggie Thatcher had the sense to keep the police on-side when she took on the world.

If we want to discuss 3rd World issues: why does the UK give financial 'aid' to India, a country that can afford a space program?''

Yep couldnt agree more

Phil
Old 13-08-11, 05:23 PM

You do need him, the UK is no more than the 51st state, with exactly the same problems.

Simon.
Old 13-08-11, 05:29 PM

I must admit i have missed this, who is the American Cop? I'll google him.

Phil
Old 13-08-11, 05:33 PM

Phil,
Its all here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/american-co...075033857.html

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-08-11, 05:36 PM

Thanks PB will have a read.

Phil
Old 13-08-11, 05:41 PM

I don't feel that I can make a judgement on that yet. But, I wonder what the cost of his expertise will be to the tax payer?

It may well be a good thing to have an outside opinion, given the apparant lack of cohesion in our police/government at the moment.

Phil
Old 13-08-11, 05:56 PM

If he can turn L.A. around; then that "Green and Pleasant Land" should be a little easier. I mean L.A. as you have all seen on the TV etc, was a little what you may call a "War Zone". I've been there many times, and it has changed for the better over the years.

From what I saw the UK police may be in denial and that include's also the previous government, but there again they thought there were weapon's of mass destruction somewhere or other; It seem's that was more in south London. Should have concentrated on the UK from the get go, as I've said multiple times in previous threads (cutting back the army etc,) the mass destruction is just up the high street by the looks of it.

Simon.
Old 13-08-11, 06:09 PM

In so many areas of life we consider it 'OK' to bring in the best. We have many international scientists, medical experts and businessmen working hard in the UK and bringing immense improvements to our welfare and financial standing. Cameron knows that the institutionalised Public Sector has lost its way and needs its a**e kicked into the long grass. If this guy is the right man for job then lets get him in here quick......after all, if he is effective it could just save us millions of pounds through enlightened policing, reduced prison costs and a better place for us all to live in.

I work in the 'Public Sector' and I am appaled and ashamed at the waste and ineffectiveness.
Old 13-08-11, 06:10 PM

Well said, it's the same on both sides of the Atlantic.

Simon.
Old 13-08-11, 06:41 PM

Simon, unfortunately we are bound by a grossly mis-used piece of legislation in this country known as The Human Rights act ... can of worms, springs to mind.
Old 13-08-11, 06:41 PM

new york is another example of a cleaned up city of course, nothing like the reputation that some people still cling too. or how the old 80s films portray it as a gang land.
Old 13-08-11, 06:44 PM

Yes Phil, way cleaner and safer than the 70's and 80's. I mean Disney virtually own Times Square now. I do believe Bratton was part of that clean up to.

Simon.
Old 13-08-11, 06:50 PM

Times square was so heaving with tourists etc, but there are policemen on every corner. I never felt threatened at all, even wandering around on my own one evening trying to find various touristy places. I wouldn't do that in Brixton for example. That was scary in the day time, I decided to skip on the job interview, wouldnt want to work there.

Phil