British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-11, 06:48 PM

Default 21st Century SLR/FAL

Hi Chap's,

I know many of our group here were/are ex/current service and if you are my age or older you were likely trained on the SLR/L1A1. I remember shooting one for the first time at age 13 in the ACF and have dreamed of owning one ever since.

Well I now live in sunny Arizona where here gun law's are almost none existant (God bless America). And I have just taken delivery of my dream rifle a very modern rendition of the venerable SLR. Built to my specific requirements and I love it, so thought it might be worth sharing here with you guy's.

All the best, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 20%.jpg (100.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 02 20%.jpg (99.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 03 20%.jpg (51.2 KB, 53 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 25-07-11, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Chap's,

I know many of our group here were/are ex/current service and if you are my age or older you were likely trained on the SLR/L1A1. I remember shooting one for the first time at age 13 in the ACF and have dreamed of owning one ever since.

Well I now live in sunny Arizona where here gun law's are almost none existant (God bless America). And I have just taken delivery of my dream rifle a very modern rendition of the venerable SLR. Built to my specific requirements and I love it, so thought it might be worth sharing here with you guy's.

All the best, Roy.
That looks like a nice piece of kit Roy. Beats having to train and feed a guard dog.

Now why didn't the British army go for something like that instead of the current toy.

I used to love my "Elephant gun", it was a proper Soldier's Rifle and the right tool for the job. It inspired a lot more confidence than the SA80 and was even good for drill.

Regards

Ry
Old 25-07-11, 07:58 PM

Hi Charlie,

I couldn't agree more, well said. I know the 556/223 is a good round but I also know which I would prefere if placed in halms way. This rifle won't see any action, unless of course we get invaded my alien zombies, you never know!

Took it to the range the other day for the first time, rifle ran flawlessly but I'm afraid I need rather more practice

All the best, Roy.

Old 25-07-11, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Charlie,

Took it to the range the other day for the first time, rifle ran flawlessly but I'm afraid I need rather more practice
I know that feeling Roy, it must be awful for you having to practice

Good drills

Ry
Old 25-07-11, 08:39 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Being UKLF Territorials we were one of the last units to lose our SLRs. Great piece of kit. I actually first fired full bore with a Lee-Enfield .303. Have to say that the new thing does have one or two advantages. When I went to the ACF it meant far less training when there was just one weapon for cadets and a grown up version for soldiers.
Love your new toy. Can't see one of those being appreciated by the Old Bill in Blaby!!!
Matti
Old 25-07-11, 09:15 PM

Roy, Thats showing off (not envious at all)

I too remember the old elephant gun and a swollen right cheek after every day's live firing (yes I know eye relief and all that but the kick was something else).

Ivan
Old 25-07-11, 09:24 PM

It's been many a long year since I shot full bore, so it was a waking up for me when I pulled the trigger for the first time. Not the most powerful gun in the world for sure but it's no slouch.

The scope is pretty neat, an Elcan Spectre DR (duel role), in the flip of a leaver it goes from 1.5x to 6x no zooming at all, very cool. I also love the fully adjustable SPR folding stock. I plan to hit the range at least once a week for a while, hoping that all the lesson's aren't totally forgotten.

If I were still in the UK I think plod would be knocking, no licence here and I'm not even American! can't be bad.

All the best, Roy.

Old 26-07-11, 10:12 AM

hi roy,

the first pic reminds me of a tour i did in n ireland with the raf regt.i had a slr with bipod legs and carried a iws on it. the weight was akiller but a better weapon could not be found.

philip
Old 26-07-11, 01:46 PM

Loved my SLR.. accurate, easy to fix..easy to modify to fire auto on KAPE day demonstrations... Hated carrying it, though!
Old 26-07-11, 01:48 PM
Mr. Jackanory

The night sights for the SLR had the habit of 'toppling' it over and made an imperctible whine that convinced me, at night, that the whole of the 'orange/blue' forces could hear it a mile away. It came with its own reinforced topcover/slide. i also amusingly, remember getting a hot empty case down the top of my combat jacket on the ranges in Cyprus. Couldn't get it out fast enough. My mate Craig and I still laugh about that.
Matti
Old 26-07-11, 01:52 PM
LYPAO Boff

I go back to the .303 in the Cadets

The SLR was a great rifle, I was just as accurate on the range with the old iron sights than I was with the SA80 Opticle. If anything, the 7.62mm round would definatley knock down the target even if it was clipped! The 5.56mm would have to be bang on to do the same.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-07-11, 03:23 PM

Great fun hearing everyone's stories about the SLR, it would seem I'm not the only fan. They can be a little hefty and mine with the extra's on is no exception but I've no intention of doing a ten mile run with it.

I too have always liked the ease at which it can be stripped and cleaned. I almost went for one of the new FN SCARS but to be honest I'm a little old fashioned and shy away from plastic. I also went for the short 16" barrel on this one, I know it loses a little on accuracy but with the folding SPR stock I like the idea of a little more compactness, with this set up it feels a lot more balanced.

When I finally build my skill level up I will post a couple of pictures of it's accuracy but bear with me chaps I'm far too embarrassed to show my efforts at this stage

Keep the stories coming

All the best, Roy.

Old 26-07-11, 04:59 PM

Default 21st Century SLR/FAL

In 1984 (two years after 2 and 3 PARA actions in the Falklands) I purchased a Competition Grade (Model 50.00) Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL LAR, 7.62mm, and mounted a Leatherwood ART/MPC scope on it. The weapon is not a tack driver, IT IS A PIN DRIVER! Am enclosing thumbnail of it residing between an Enfield Lock, Rifle, Mk II, Pattern 1877, .577/.450 cal., Martini-Henry, Short Lever, Infantry, dated 1878 and a Long Branch Arsenal, Rifle, NO.4 MkI*, .303 cal., SMLE, dated 1942, both which in their respective times I believe were comparable.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2892 copy.jpg (59.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 26-07-11 at 05:16 PM.
Old 26-07-11, 05:08 PM
Mr. Jackanory

My favourite one in the armoury was all wood on the grip, stock etc. I disliked the extended butt stocks that being tall I was always told to use. In the armoury they had a real mix where the wood had been replaced by plastic but only when needed. We had quite a mismatch of weapons, most dated from 1958.
Matti
Old 26-07-11, 05:13 PM

Hi Jim,

That's a great collection of arms, thanks for sharing. As mentioned will give more details of how my rifle does one I'm able to put some real range time in. I'm a big fan of the No4 having shot them first in the ACF, I'm sure I will end up with one at some point.

From your post it would seem you'r in AZ, if so drop me a pm.

All the best, Roy.