British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-08, 04:03 AM

Default Perth & Waterloo Regiment - HLI

I think this is one for Jim A. I'm just back from the Kamloops 2-day Antique and Gun Show. I picked up this odd shoulder title, I've never heard of it or seen it before. Who knows something about the PERTH & WATERLOO REGIMENT (Highland Light Infantry) of CANADA?. It was somewhat expensive @ $10.00, not sure it I got a deal or "owned" .

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perthwater.JPG (52.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 28-04-08, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, The Perth Regiment and the Highland Light Infantry were amalgamated October 1, 1953 as the PERTH & WATERLOO REGIMENT/HLI/ CANADA. The amalgamation was unpopular and it was disolved on April 1, 1954. The units assumed their previous designations. The Perth's eventually became part of the Royal Canadian Regiment, as a component of the reserve battalion, and the HLI of Canada carries on today as part of the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada.
The shoulder title is not common, and I would say a good find.
Old 28-04-08, 08:11 PM

Thanks Bill, so I got a "goodie" at the show. I'm a happy man

greg
Old 28-04-08, 09:23 PM

Default Perth and Waterloo

....It was a short lived shoulder flash that went through several designs. There was also some concern from the HLI that the HLI graphic was too difficult to distinguish on the patch. There was some discussion as to an accompanying cap badge for the unit but it never got beyond the planning stages. One idea was to have the HLI cap badge with Perth & Waterloo instead of Defence and Defiance. I scanned a couple of documents regarding the flash below....

All of this will be on the Perth Regiment website, as soon as I finish writing it....
Old 28-04-08, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Nice work Dwayne. What record group is this post war material in?
Old 29-04-08, 01:01 AM

Wow, GREAT info Dwayne, Thanks.

G
Old 29-04-08, 02:52 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Bill did the Perth Regt loose their identy after being absorbed into the RCR unlike the London & Oxford Fusiliers who kept it for a short while as the London & Oxford Fusiliers 3rd Bn RCR? All that history & heritage gone by the wayside. Do you know of a shoulder title for the London & Oxford other than the tiny cloth one. Ray
Old 29-04-08, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, The Perth Regiment was disbanded as a regiment, but carried on as "B" Company 3rd Battalion RCR (London & Oxford Fusiliers), March 31, 1965. This battalion was renumbered the 4th Bn RCR (London & Oxford Fusiliers) in 1970. It is sad that the Perth's, a gallant WW2 active service regiment, lost all of its identity. The two other regiments that didn't have operational service overseas, the Canadian Fusiliers (City of London) and Oxford Rifles were perpetuated in name after the amalgamations and disbandments of the 1960's.
Old 08-05-08, 05:49 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

That sounds very Canadian, to get rid of all Perth identy & keep the other two that didn't have a real battle honor to their name. Ray