British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-11, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default K/C RUR SMITH AND WRIGHT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROYAL-ULSTER-R...item3cb7e8c3b0

I have never seen a maker marked one of these before.
Old 13-05-11, 05:45 PM

Some other suspect stuff on offer from the same seller.I cant see the back image.
Old 13-05-11, 11:38 PM

Hi Guys,

Well stupid here can't see the 'SMITH & WRIGHT' mark.

That's a Gaunt slider by the way - probably late 1980's.

A lot of other stuff is probably from the same maker/era too.

Regards

Chris
Old 14-05-11, 05:22 AM

Mike
Can you let me know what you find suspect? I don't have your experience or that of other forum members, but nothing is ringing my alarm bells (other than I couldn't afford the prices for his rare (read expensive) anodised badges). The Smith and Wright description I suspect is just a 'cut and paste' error as there isn't a maker's mark on the slider. What am I missing on the others?

I have it in my head that Philip (aka emerson) is a forum member, but could be wrong. Perhaps he has just been mentioned on the forum before. In my limited dealings, I have always found him to be a very amiable and responsive dealer. I'm sure he would be quick to change anything wrongly described if pointed out.

Notwithstanding, I would be grateful to know, for my own education, what you are seeing (or not seeing) that I'm not. Of course if I had the dosh to spend on expensive a/a badges, I would want to see a photo of the backs before bidding. Is this the basis for your suspicions or is there more?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
Old 14-05-11, 05:47 AM

Hi Mark,

There are some quite extensive threads on the forum re: A/A badges such as these and it looks like Mike (to his credit) is quite up to date with these postings.

Here are some examples:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ghlight=ulster

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=13869

Regards

Chris
Old 14-05-11, 07:26 AM

Default Info regarding expensive AA Badges for sale on Ebay

Good luck to anyone bidding on these badges – I hope you get a genuine badge at a good price. I note that an AA Royal Norfolk Regiment badge was sold at Bosley’s in May 2005, for £55 and a Royal Ulster Rifles QC went for £34 on Ebay in Jan 06. Loyals went from Bosleys in Jan 05 at £25 (cheap!).

The seller (emerson141151) has added an extra image to the R Ulster Rifles badge sale info and says it has a “Smith & Wright” makers’ mark on it but it looks like a plain slider to me - perhaps just an error. Close inspection of the image shows the only marking on it are the letters ‘CHN’, scratched into the slider, by someone using a pin or some sharp object, but clearly not professionally engraved or stamped during the manufacturing process.

‘CHN’ is also scratched, in the same way, into the slider of the silver anodised Rifle Brigade KC badge, also for sale by the same seller on Ebay. I have no idea what this might mean, other than perhaps both badges were at some time, the property of someone with the initials CHN.
Old 14-05-11, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

I have a blank slidered k/c a/a RUR badge in my collection - it cost me £3. I have always assumed that it is from the same stable as the other blank slidered 'rare' 1950s a/a badges that have been made in recent years to fill a gap in collections.
Old 14-05-11, 09:23 AM

Thanks Chris. Extremely informative. I vaguely remember your posts, but just like my school report, didn't pay to much attention at the time. I assure you I am paying attention now and I couldn't have asked for better info..................

Thanks for replying.
Mark
Old 14-05-11, 09:34 AM

Hi,
It's just a mistake on the opening link, which comes up as a kings crown badge.
It is the queens crown badge in the sellers listing that has the mark.
Noodles.
Old 14-05-11, 02:58 PM

Gents for what its worth, the Royal Fusiliers anodised badge from this seller looked ok to me as it had the expected FIRMIN LONDON slider, as did the Norfolk Regt with the early Smith and Wright slider. Loyal Regt with - again expected Gaunt slider seemed fine. However not so sure about the Warwickshire, suffolk, Bedfordshire, Kings Crown Ulster Rifles and Rifle Brigade. Additionally these 'rare' badges are ALWAYS offered in such excellent condition . . . . hmmm . . . . with no makers mark etc. As mentioned above they are no doubt from the suspicious stable that is oft alluded to on other anodised threads.

Difficult to comment more without better images or examination. They'll still go for a few quid though.

Regards all

Bess
Old 14-05-11, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Bess,

I have the same views on those badges. I have a few (not the RB nor the Suffolks) but I only paid less than a fiver for each as I regard them as made for the collectors market.

I would however pay a lot for a S&W marked Norfolks or a Loyals as these do date from the 1950s/60s.

Alan
Old 14-05-11, 08:31 PM

Hi Guys,

I was going to have a go for the Norfolks but just noticed that it has initials scratched on this too. I need one for me book so if anyone out there has a nice unmessed with one for sale - used is OK - then please let me know.

As per Bess55 = Norfolk, Royal Fusiliers and Loyals are good but may all have initials scratched on them as per the Norfolks. The rest, well not for me...

Regards

Chris
Old 15-05-11, 09:57 AM

Thanks for taking the words from my mouth on this.
I wanted to add its also useful to look at some of the threads covering "Badges by (Makers)".These will show you if a badge has be identified by a member with a certain makers mark.If not ,start to get suspicious.
Old 15-05-11, 04:39 PM

A Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) post 1953 anodised cap badge, similar to the one discussed in this thread, but with a different slider, was recently sold on Bosley's 'Bidwyze' site.

Described as "A fine scarce example on slider by HW Timings Ltd. B’ham." Code: 1016719 on their website at http://www.buywyze.com/shop/shop.php

Unfortunately it does not indicate the price paid, but it is interesting to see these items continue to circulate.
Old 15-05-11, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
A Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) post 1953 anodised cap badge, similar to the one discussed in this thread, but with a different slider, was recently sold on Bosley's 'Bidwyze' site.

Described as "A fine scarce example on slider by HW Timings Ltd. B’ham." Code: 1016719 on their website at http://www.buywyze.com/shop/shop.php

Unfortunately it does not indicate the price paid, but it is interesting to see these items continue to circulate.
Hi William,

This version of the badge is good - just make sure that the mark is a genuine Timings one.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 15-05-11 at 07:34 PM.