British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-11, 11:22 PM

Default For fun, see who can identify 4 of the 6 riders

As the title says, majority of the people on this Forum should be able to identify 4 out of the 6 riders.

This picture was taken in 1970, as an extra bonus, just kidding, who are the other two people and where was the picture taken(what part of the world).

I will tell all after everyone has looked at the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ralph.jpg (84.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 19-03-11, 11:28 PM

Prince of Wales
HM Queen Elizabeth II
Lord Mountbatten
Duke of Edinburgh

Princess Anne?

RCMP Stables Rockliffe?

Phil
Old 19-03-11, 11:40 PM

Default riders

Well Phil you got three out of the 6 but you are way off on the location.

Jack
Old 19-03-11, 11:41 PM

Default Riders

If you removed the question mark, you would be 4 out of 6.

Jack
Old 20-03-11, 10:53 AM

It's in Oman and central figure is Super Q aka Sultan Qaboos bin Said
Old 20-03-11, 11:03 AM
Peter J

I know one of them; it was the disguise that was throwing me.

The one on the far right of the picture... is it Desert Orchid?
Old 20-03-11, 11:51 AM

wasnt desert orchid a grey horse ?
Old 20-03-11, 11:52 AM

is one of them lord lucan ?
Old 20-03-11, 11:54 AM

how about shergar ?
Old 20-03-11, 12:17 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I know one of them; it was the disguise that was throwing me.

The one on the far right of the picture... is it Desert Orchid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paj1 View Post
wasnt desert orchid a grey horse ?
Do pay attention, 007

Mind you, it is Sunday I suppose.

Last edited by Peter J; 20-03-11 at 12:27 PM.
Old 20-03-11, 03:46 PM

Default Riders

All right now, you guys are just having too much fun with this one, so I will put you out of your misery.

This story starts like this, way back in 1968, then, Riding Master for the RCMP Musical Ride, S/Sgt. Ralph Cave proposed via a Memo to present the Queen with a horse from the Musical ride. The memo stated, " It is a well recognized fact that all members of the Royal family are ardently devoted to horse, which has lead to many froeign countries presentling their nationally recognized light horses to the Royal Family." It went on to say that, "The selection of the particular horse, as to sex, size and age would have to be carefully gone into, possibly after a statement preference from Her Majesty. The animal selected would naturally receive some extra training so that it would be as fine a representative as possible." The proposal was put forward as the Musical Ride was going to be touring the U.K in 1969. The horse "Burmese" was presented to the Queen in 1969 and she rode this horse for many a year and was one of her favourites.

In 1970 the province of Manitoba was celebrating it's Centennial year as being part of Canada and the Queen came over for the festivities. On hand was also the RCMP Musical ride. S/Sgt. Ralph Cave was there and in some down time, a number of horses were loaded in a train and taken down a side spur. They were off loaded on a farmers field and taken for a ride.

The 6 people in the photo are, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, At the front is S/Sgt Ralph Cave and the gentleman in the fore front is the Farmer, Mr. T.R. Bailey.

As an aside, you will note that Prince Phillip and S/Sgt Cave are looking back towards Prince Charles. Shortly after the picture was taken, the horse that Charles was riding, Diamond (a 5 year old Gelding) took off on him. S/Sgt Cave responded quickly, as the Prince could not get the beast under control. The rest of the ride was uneventful. The next day they saddled up again and the Prince was given Captain, a 7 year old Gelding to ride. The Prince rode along side S/Sgt Cave and stated, excuse me Staff but where is the animal that I rode yesterday? S/Sgt Cave, riding along and not uttering a sound, just pointed down between his legs. The Prince had no other comment.

I have added a picture of Burmese being presented to the Queen in 1969 as well as one where the Queen is riding Burmese.

As you might be able to tell, S/Sgt Cave was a decorated member of the Royal Canadian Navy during WW 1. He joined and was part of the special gunnery branch: DEMS (Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships). He received the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal and was flown to Ottawa in 2003 and received from the Queen, her Golden Jubilee Medal.

After the war, Ralph joined the British Columbia Provincial Police in 1947 and in 1950, the B.C. Provincial Policing duties were taken over by the RCMP. The members of the BCPP were absorbed by the RCMP and Ralph was selected as part of the RCMP Riding Staff in 1953. He stayed on in that section of the RCMP until he retired in 1972.

Another one of his accomplishments was in 1964/5, he was seconded to the Jamaican Constabulary Force to assist them in starting a mounted section.

Unfortunately, S/Sgt Cave passed away on the 12th Oct 2010. A few days later a letter dated the 19th October 2010 was received at his residence. It was on beige paper bearing the Royal Seal and underneath the seal "Buckingham Palace."

Simply written, it is addressed to Mrs. Cave, "The Queen was very sorry to learn of the death of your husband, Staff Sergeant Ralph Cave, of whom Her Majesty has fond memories. The Queen has asked me to send he heartfelt sympathy to you at this difficult time. Yours Sincerely Edward Young, The Deputy Private Secretary to the Queen.

One of his life long friends stated to me a while back that Ralph was one of the best, if not the best equestrian the RCMP has known.

There is your Canadian History lesson for the day.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ralph Cave 002.jpg (68.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Ralph Cave 004.jpg (69.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 20-03-11, 10:07 PM

Great post jack a lot of fun
regards julian
Old 21-03-11, 12:37 AM

Thanks for that fantastic piece of writing Jack. You must have been close in to know so many details. How about a journalism prize on the forum? Jack gets my vote! Regards, David J.
Old 21-03-11, 12:48 AM
Former Member

I agree, a great thread! Although Staff Sergeant is correctly shortened as SSgt. The slash should only be used when associated with acting rank! e.g. Acting Staff Sergeant would be A/SSgt not A/S/Sgt.. Just as a reminder:

LCpl not L/Cpl or L.Cpl
LBdr not L/Bdr or L.Bdr
CSgt Not C/Sgt or C.Sgt

I know this will ruffle feathers but if you are going to do something, do it properly!

- Andy
Old 21-03-11, 01:48 AM

Default Riders

Dave, Julian and Andy

Thanks for the comments. As far as having intimate knowledge of S/Sgt Ralph Cave, he was a dear friend for a number of years and I continue to keep in touch with his wife. His son is a serving member of the RCMP in Alberta.

I know the roots of the RCMP came from out British beginnings Andy but as far as the shortened version of Staff Sergeant, S/Sgt, that is the abbreviation we have been using in Canada, in particular the RCMP, as far as I can remember. I served from 1972 to 2005, the final 6 years of my career as a S/Sgt. All correspondence that I have ever received and sent out as a S/Sgt was abbreviated that way.

It must be a Canadian thing.

Jack