British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-11, 01:49 PM

Default info

Hi Guys a question how scarce are original Air crew europe 1939/1945 star with pilots name rank provenance, how much would i expect to pay for one any help much obliged. SG
Old 09-03-11, 02:08 PM

Hi Scots Grey
Is it part of a group or just a single medal?
Peter
Old 09-03-11, 02:09 PM

If there is provenance, does it include the 1939-45 Star, War Medal and Defence Medal?

Phil
Old 09-03-11, 03:07 PM

You might want to try over here.........

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/vie...hp?f=41&t=6623

A 40 page topic on their forum!!

John
Old 09-03-11, 03:50 PM

Default GROUP OF MEDALS

Hi Guys the Air Crew Europe 1939 1945 is part of a group includes Atlantic star Africa star 1939 1945 war medal Defence medal a couple i cant remember including a DFM, These are medal my father was awarded and my sister has in her keeping, i have air crew medal and the Africa star i just wondered if it was scarce, not that i intend to sell. cheers SG

Last edited by Scots Grey; 09-03-11 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 04:07 PM

I'm not a medal guy but do know that an original Air Crew medal is very desirable.... I wouldn't be surprised to see a single at $400-$500... Your father's grouping is something to be very proud of and is not seen often... Jim
Old 09-03-11, 04:46 PM

That is a superb group Scots Grey and I think that a lot of collectors would be very happy to part with very serious money to add such a group to their collection.
It is nice to know that it is staying very firmly in the hands of the family.
As a Chaplain, over the years I have conducted many funerals for ex-Forces members and all too often, the family simply 'dig out' Dad's or Grandad's medals to place on the coffin - many Gallantry groups such as yours have appeared together with DSC groups etc from the RN and the latest one I had was a superb OBE WW2 and GSM named group to a Lieutenant Colonel in the RASC.
What saddens me is that so often the family have not got a clue as to what these medals represent and I go to great lengths to tell them to keep them in the family for future generations and to keep all the photos and documentation with them.
Whilst many do want to do this, for others I am sure my words just fall on deaf ears. I saw one lovely RAF six medal group split up only the other day after a funeral, when each grandchild (none of whom was over 10 years of age and who live in different parts of the country) was given one medal each. I am sure the family thought they were doing the right thing but to me they had simply destroyed an important part of the family's history because what is the chance of that group ever being re-united.
Peter

Last edited by peter4447; 09-03-11 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-03-11, 08:24 AM
Banned

I'd agree that the ACE Star is very desirable, but devalued if split from the rest of the group. It would be far better to keep all together in one place or the other. Whilst I wouldnt suggest any member of the family would try and dispose of an item without letting others know, there is always the risk of fire, burglary etc, and thus the group being split forever.

An ACE Star alone would generally fetch around £150.00
Old 10-03-11, 11:07 AM

Default ACE

Thanks A lot Guys for all the info the Air Crew Europe and Africa star, they are going to be with the other medals my sister is holding for me, the reason i have the Air Crew Europe And Africa star was my Father never received these medals i only recently sent for them, i asked him many years ago before he died why he did not send for them he said he could not be bothered as they were only bits of tin, amazing that he was totally uninterested, however they will be all together at last, thanks again. SG
Old 10-03-11, 12:11 PM

Hi again Scots Grey
As you have mentioned that the Group contains both the Atlantic Star and the ACE (the latter which you recently applied for and obtained) you might find the following of interest, which I have taken from Taffrail Dorling's Book 'Medals and Ribbons'.

Those qualifying for the ACE, Atlantic and France & Germany Stars, or two of these were awarded only the first star earned with a bar, or clasp, denoting service which would have qualified for the second star. A silver rose emblem worn on the ribbon denotes the award of the Atlantic, France & Germany or ACE Bar as the case may be.

The silver rosette was sewn onto the ribbon when only the ribbons where worn on the jacket (it is the same rosette that is used on the Falklands Medal).

The bar referred to is a small 1.1/4" long metal bar inscribed ie 'France & Germany' and has a small hole at each corner so that it can be sewn onto the ribbon of the medal itself.

Kind regards
Peter
Old 10-03-11, 01:49 PM

Default ACE star

Hi Peter thanks a lot for that information its some time since i looked at the medals but will check them again sister is returning the medals to me, the Reason she had them i was at sea most of my career i am aware of the rosette on the South Atlantic medal i was awarded this medal, as well as a couple of others, many thanks for your effort and interest in my question. god bless SG
Old 10-03-11, 01:58 PM

My pleasure SG
Peter