British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-11, 05:51 PM

Default Royal Regiment of Fusiliers

Hi All.

Is there any difference between the Regiment badge and the brigade of fusiliers badge. I can't really tell from Mr Taylor's book. Thanks in Advance.

Cheers Paul.
Old 18-01-11, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

None what so ever.
Old 18-01-11, 06:00 PM

That was quick. Thanks Alan.

Cheers Paul
Old 18-01-11, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

The LI badge was unchanged as well. The Wessex, Lancastrian and the Yorkshire brigade badges continued in use as well past 1968 with TA units.
Old 18-01-11, 08:05 PM

In 1972 I became aware of two variations of the badge, one which had the flat blade fittings pierced for the cotter pin, & one which had wire anodised loop fittings.

The type with loop fittings was a little "plumper" than the other, I don't think it looked quite as crisp.

As far as I could work out then the wire loop version was the older of the two badges & was'nt being issued at that time, I've always suspected it is the Fusilier Bde badge which carried on in RRF wear but was replaced within a few years by a new striking (Fusilier Bde / RRF badges were always snapping, either the flames bacame detached from the ball of the grenade or the long flat fittings came adrift.

I have 1950's or early 60's dated Fusilier Bde berets & hackles (RNF & RWarwick Fus)) which have the loop fittings badge & a 1970's RRF beret & hackle which has the flat fittings badge, plus a few other badges of various types knocking around somewhere.

I have an idea that one or other of these badges had a variation in that the Geordie & dragon in laurel wreath was mounted on the ball of the grenade by means of splayed flat blades rather than the circular "expanded rivet" type fitting.
Old 18-01-11, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The LI badge was unchanged as well. The Wessex, Lancastrian and the Yorkshire brigade badges continued in use as well past 1968 with TA units.
Taking it that the book's statement that the voided / unvoided area between the rose & the scroll on the "Yorkshire" badges indicates that the example is Yorkshire Bde or Yorkshire Vols is not accurate?
I've heard that view expressed but personally have no knowledge one way or the other.
Old 18-01-11, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Let's put it this way: the voided version was certainly used when the Brigade was around. The voidless version was certainly used in the 1970s by the TA. However the sealed pattern cards make no such differention and were one and the same. The void appears to be a maker's variation and it would be very difficult to prove when the design changed. It could have been anytime before or after 1968.
This variation does allow a premium to be charged for the voided version.

Last edited by Alan O; 19-01-11 at 07:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 19-01-11, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
In 1972 I became aware of two variations of the badge, one which had the flat blade fittings pierced for the cotter pin, & one which had wire anodised loop fittings.

The type with loop fittings was a little "plumper" than the other, I don't think it looked quite as crisp.

As far as I could work out then the wire loop version was the older of the two badges & was'nt being issued at that time, I've always suspected it is the Fusilier Bde badge which carried on in RRF wear but was replaced within a few years by a new striking (Fusilier Bde / RRF badges were always snapping, either the flames bacame detached from the ball of the grenade or the long flat fittings came adrift.

I have 1950's or early 60's dated Fusilier Bde berets & hackles (RNF & RWarwick Fus)) which have the loop fittings badge & a 1970's RRF beret & hackle which has the flat fittings badge, plus a few other badges of various types knocking around somewhere.

I have an idea that one or other of these badges had a variation in that the Geordie & dragon in laurel wreath was mounted on the ball of the grenade by means of splayed flat blades rather than the circular "expanded rivet" type fitting.
Hi Leigh,

I agree with your point on lugs here re: wire lugs for Fusiliers Brigade and stamped lugs for Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. The other point is that the wire lugged badge (Fusiliers Brigade) uses a riveting device to hold the figure of St. George and the Dragon while the splayed blades device seems to be reserved for the stamped lugged (Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) badge.

Regards

Chris
Old 19-01-11, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Leigh,

I agree with your point on lugs here re: wire lugs for Fusiliers Brigade and stamped lugs for Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. The other point is that the wire lugged badge (Fusiliers Brigade) uses a riveting device to hold the figure of St. George and the Dragon while the splayed blades device seems to be reserved for the stamped lugged (Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) badge.

Regards

Chris
I'm thinking that all the bladed badges I saw during the 1970's were riveted, when it comes to the splayed blades fitting I think I have it on a gilded metal version.

I've just checked a bladed badge, it has the rivetted fitting, I can see the RNF & RWark Fus Brigade badged berets with their loop fitting badges but can't get to trhem at the moment - they're in a glass display case (IKEA chic) & blocked in by boxes badges, documents, caps & uniform - I'll mount an expedition to get to them soon.

Of note is that the device mounted on the bladed version is almost invariably a little off centre .

There were two distict manufacturers variations of the collar badges too, again, I took it that one was the old Fusilier Bde / RRF version, the other a later striking for RRF - again, what I took to be the latter were, I felt, a more attractive badge.
Old 24-01-11, 11:34 AM

I realised where I'd seen the bladed central device version of the RRF badge - the stable belt badge.
Old 24-01-11, 09:06 PM

Hi Guys

You mean like the back of these two a/a fusiliers.

Cheers Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06E6E99CEBEF41C2AD709CCDB46A38C9.jpg (48.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 0576D5EA871A480B9C55CD2865E0E89E.jpg (47.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 24-01-11, 09:54 PM

The Mercian Brigade badge was also used after the demise of Brigade badges being worn by the Mercian Volunteers.
Old 24-01-11, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappersson View Post
Hi Guys

Cheers Paul
The badge on the left isn't anodised aluminium though is it? It's a plated or gilded metal one?

The one I have also has the bladed fitting.
Old 24-01-11, 11:46 PM

Hi Leigh

It was listed as an anodised, but it's gone from the listings. I will post the link if it gets relisted.

Cheers Paul.
Old 25-01-11, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappersson View Post
Hi Guys

Cheers Paul
I have seen the metal version (left) for sale at the RRF Museum at The Tower.

Phil