British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-10, 08:19 AM

Default THE WORRING PRICE OF SILVER !!

With silevr hitting £16.00 an ounce this week it wont be long before medals are being scraped again or a suden increase in there value as the WWI British war medal weighs 1.2 ounces the price has gone above what the corps examples would noramly retail at around the £15.00 mark with trade discount PLEASE DONT SCRAP ANY MEDALS AS ONCE THERE GONE THEY ARE GONE !!! AND A PERSONS HISTORY WITH IT !!!!
Old 15-12-10, 09:22 AM
Administrator

This is a subject close to my heart. £18.57 per troy ounce this morning. Corps BWMs are now below scrap at some places.

The price may correct, but the trend is upwards. Some commentators on silver predict all time record prices to be set and an increasing shortage going forward to.. well.... send silver prices to the moon. Silver is an industrial metal and there's just not enough of it, never mind money printing in the UK and US building an inflation tidal wave.

We are in for another scrapping carnage for WW1 british war medals unfortunately, and this time it looks like there will be no respite.
Old 15-12-10, 11:55 AM

Hello All

I am a Lancastrian currently slaving away in Yorkshire(They are still smarting from previous glorious Lancastrian victories!) and signs are really not good here.They are directly targetting silver medals through shops and mobile, "bring your goods to the local pub",events.They have sad flyers to get the folk salivating...it is beyond sad.

Dave
Old 15-12-10, 01:48 PM
LYPAO Boff

The silver market has been cornered by "Goldman Sachs". This firm is "selling short" on silver (selling beyond the actual amount they own)...... and therefore there is movement by people, who dont like "Goldman Sachs", to buy as much "actual" silver as they can afford. GS have "sold short" on silver, apparently, to a point where the value of this selling could bring down the firm financially if the demand for physical silver reaches a high demand by private and commercial demand. There is a "global" effort to do this apprently.... take a look at UTube!?

Top tip: Buy some now....... sell some later

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 15-12-10, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Max Keiser's been on J.P. Morgan's case for a while.

I remember watching Keiser's vids on Iceland about their impending crisis 12 months before the regular economists spotted the problem

I won't say what old Max thinks silver is going to, you will definitely think he's mad. If he's right though most silver medals under £300 have the potential to end up in the melting pot, if the 'collectors' value doesn't keep pace.

crazy nonsense? lets hope so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCM7rMIqxmk
Old 15-12-10, 04:28 PM
LYPAO Boff

thats it.... J P Morgan.... not Goldman Sachs.... my mistake

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 15-12-10, 06:34 PM

Hi Good evening , I had a day out at the Leeds arms fair on sunday and there were at least two jewellers ` casing the joint ` asking about silver content In medals what capbages were made from how much silver etc one of these guys was even asking and handling vici swords , fortunatly the conversation I over heard the medal dealer as good as told him to go and $%£& him self , these are worrying times ,regards ,Michael

Last edited by NEMO; 15-12-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 16-12-10, 01:14 AM

Default Potential silver medal disaster mk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
Hi Good evening , I had a day out at the Leeds arms fair on sunday and there were at least two jewellers ` casing the joint ` asking about silver content In medals what capbages were made from how much silver etc one of these guys was even asking and handling vici swords , fortunatly the conversation I over heard the medal dealer as good as told him to go and $%£& him self , these are worrying times ,regards ,Michael
As a collector of cavalry QSA / KSA medals,as well as badges and buttons,this news saddens and alarms me greatly.
There was a similar "spike" in silver prices in the early 1970's ,and unfortunately a great many historically significant medals were consigned literally to the melting pot of naked commerce.It wrecked the research opportunities to try and re-unite lost individual medals or groups,and has
created a situation where single medals are constantly on offer.

Ask your self,how many commercially valuable, ie first day of the Somme casualty BWM and 2nd Boer War medals ended up being melted down for a bar of lifeless bullion,it's the history and the personal story that gives that silver disc it's intrinsic value .
It makes you want rant bigtime against the financial tossers who drive this, as they " know the price of everything,but the value of nothing".
Enough said.
I'm just greatly disillusioned with the "GRAB IT ALL" world that we live in at the moment.
There is no room for decency or the old traditional values with regard people who had served and have earned their recognition,be it only through a simple medal.
I don't post often,but this issue has struck a personal chord,and I fell nothing but contempt for the sort of people who can destroy a unique piece of history purely for profit.
Alan

Last edited by spreadeagle; 16-12-10 at 01:32 AM.
Old 17-12-10, 09:27 AM

Thumbs down The madness has started !!!!

Found out yesterday about 1 dealer which is all ready putting in to the scrap pot !!! not looking very good at all theres going to be a big increase in prices for WWI medals and others following as the price contunes to rise !!!! As british war medals are scraping at £18.00 each hes started on the corps singles
Old 17-12-10, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
Found out yesterday about 1 dealer which is all ready putting in to the scrap pot !!! not looking very good at all theres going to be a big increase in prices for WWI medals and others following as the price contunes to rise !!!! As british war medals are scraping at £18.00 each hes started on the corps singles
What a sad shallow bastard!...and for £18.
Old 18-12-10, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
This individual should be named and shamed and no self respecting collector or anybody with any interest, no matter how small, in military history, should ever make another purchase from him.

In fact he should be told by somebody that if he continues to do what he is currently doing, this is what may and should happen to him.

Regards
Brian
Old 18-12-10, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up

It would be very nice to name and shame however I can not comment on how people run their businesses even if I do not like they way the do it even for £3.00 more my business personly will not scrap any medals I will just place them out of harms way alas I would like to run round and purchase all of the bwms but I cant afford to do it just save what I can from the scrap pile ,
But if we all purchase 2-3 bwms ( corps regts ie RA , RE ,RASC ,ASC ,RAMC etc ) over the next few months each this would save a few that wont go in to that bad pot of scrap and all hope that the price of them goes up in line with the scraping price ? steve
Old 06-03-11, 02:09 PM

Angry

silver hits £19.00 and ounce and away go my corps pairs said to say but they must be out of harms way the madness has started !!!!!
Old 06-03-11, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Ran into this problem at an antique show two weeks ago. A group of four was offered, a pair to the BEF, and two silver Canadian service medals, Second World War. An antiques' appraiser was set up at the show and the group had been submitted for a valuation before it was offered to me. The Canadian war and service medal weigh about 1.25 oz, so with silver now approx $35 Cdn an ounce, the un-named medals are worth somewhere in the $44 range. So, scrap value on them is approaching $90, and that didn't include the BEF pair...
The valuater had factored the silver price in, and the owner figured he had a group worth far more than the value in the medal market.
Old 06-03-11, 05:55 PM

Unhappy Deja Vu All Over Again

Once upon a time, when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, the price of silver spiked, there was a dealer at an antique show who had an American DI for sale which was marked "sterling" on its back. I have never been sure if this was the name of the company who made the insignia, or if it was an indication that the piece was made of silver. At any rate the dealer was trying to sell a piece of insignia worth $5 - $10 for over $30 based on the price of silver. He couldn't be told that the pin didn't contain 1 ounce of silver. I hate to think what he would ask now. Dollar signs for a soul.

On the other hand, my small collection of British silver medals should increase in value. A thought that gives small comfort indeed compared to the loss of history which cannot be replaced. May the vampires be cursed with silver bullets.

Don