British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-08, 10:04 PM

Default Highland Brigade Badge Construction

I thought I would share a couple of photos of how a Highland Brigade officers badge was put together. The badge in question is a 219th battalion officers version which I had bought this way from a local dealer and although the top of the crown was damaged it was cheap enough to add to the collection I may have a pin put back on the overlay in the future but I find it interesting to see it this way.

The first photo shows the the badge as it would have been constructed. The second photo shows the component parts the first two peices can be found in copper or brass only the final overlay is in white medal. The two bottom peices you will note have holes drilled in them these are for the retaining pins which are found on the white medal overlay these pins can be found in brass or white medal from what I have observed. The final photos show the back of each overlay these all carry a roman type numeral the one on this badge is XIIII. I have never been able to confirm why this was placed there but have noted this type of thing on a small number of badges. I do suspect it was a aid in the construction of the badge so not to get the fitted parts mixed up with another badge.

Enjoy the photos

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00483.JPG (36.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00482.JPG (42.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00484.JPG (59.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00485.JPG (52.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00486.JPG (45.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-04-08, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent information Stephen. Great posting.
Old 12-04-08, 08:51 PM

Bill

Thanks for the kind words. I have noticed these markings on a few of my badges I have about 8 that I looked at tonight. I have not seen this on any of my 85th or 246th badges. I am attaching some examples of a 193rd and a 185th officers badge both are from known veterans. The 193rd came with the personal effects of a Lieut J.O. MacLeod I had bought his foot locker which contained his spare 85th battalion tunic, a few bits of kit and some papers. Macleod was killed with the 85th Battalion after only a week of serving with them the trunk was sent home to his parents and I was lucky enought to pick it up. The badge was in a tin with his dogtags and a laynard. The 185th badge belonged to a Captain J.A. Munro who was medical officer of the battalion. In his collection I got his medals a large number of photos which where taken during the early days of the battalion two cap badges and two collars one scroll type and the other maple leaf.

Take care

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00496.JPG (46.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00498.JPG (66.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00495.JPG (38.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00497.JPG (53.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00500.JPG (42.6 KB, 15 views)