British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-12-10, 01:44 PM

Default British Made US Army Gilt cap badges

Picked these up ina lot of stuff the other day, one is beautiful US Army Officer's gilt cap badge, British made on lugs made by Firmin London. measures 55mm tall. The second one is another beautiful gilt US Army officers cap badge with screw post fitting. Makers marked on the reverse Lundberg new York, Made in England. This one is slightly lrger and measures 63mm tall. Any significance in the size or pattern, anything special about either of them ? Eagle Squadron, UK based US Home GUard units etc ??? Any assistnce greatfully received.

Thanks in advance

Paul L
OC14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 082.jpg (65.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 083.jpg (62.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 086.jpg (68.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 087.jpg (64.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-12-10, 04:36 PM

Very nice examples of some very desireable cap badges! I have a Firmin type (without makers name however) but not the English made Luxenberg.
These badges were of course offered for US Army officer's private purchase in addition to British made uniforms etc. while stationed in the UK.
Luxenberg was a New York retailer of higher end uniforms and insignia. They subcontracted to Gaunt in addition to other domestic makers for supply of certain insignia such as cap badges and buttons even before ww2.
There is no significance in the size or style of the badges other than makers variations (which were many!). US Army Air Forces officers tended to favor larger examples, but this was not always the case.

CB
Old 03-12-10, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Very nice examples of some very desireable cap badges! I have a Firmin type (without makers name however) but not the English made Luxenberg.
These badges were of course offered for US Army officer's private purchase in addition to British made uniforms etc. while stationed in the UK.
Luxenberg was a New York retailer of higher end uniforms and insignia. They subcontracted to Gaunt in addition to other domestic makers for supply of certain insignia such as cap badges and buttons even before ww2.
There is no significance in the size or style of the badges other than makers variations (which were many!). US Army Air Forces officers tended to favor larger examples, but this was not always the case.

CB
CB

very many thanks for the info. I took a guess on the Luxenburg makers name (it is partly obscured by the screw post fitting). Any idea as to the value (I assume there would be more interest on the US market i.e US Ebay ??) - they are upfor disposal !

Many thanks in dvance

Paul L
OC14