British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-10, 11:16 AM

Default Volunteer Training Corps - Unknown Unit

Can anyone on the Forum help and identify this VTC member's Cap Badge.

I have been through King and Kipling and the nearest badge is the 6th (Guildford) Surrey VTC but the crown is clearly wrong.

Does anyone have any idea???

Many thanks

Sepoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vtc.jpg (38.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-12-10, 06:37 PM

Sepoy,
Sorry for lateness of contribution, but for some reason I missed this post first time around!

I agree that the closest K&K badge is the 6th (Guildford) Battalion, but I'm not so sure the crown is that wrong. There's a very distinct shape to the 6th Guildford crown, and although it cannot be clearly seem in the photo, the areas of shade/light might hide something. Not clear in the K&K picture is the relief in the crown, which includes an orb/jewel of some sort just where the light area is.

The other factor might be size. 6th Guildford is a big badge (39mmx55mm), and the badge in your photo also looks big. The only other similar shape badge I'm aware of is East Birmingham VTC, which is much smaller.

Hope this doesn't confuse things too much...

Best regards, Tim
Old 15-12-10, 12:26 AM

Thanks for your comments.

I have had this photo for many years and it has caused me considerable annoyance in not being able to work out the unit.
I even showed a blown up version of the photo to Hugh King but he could not help.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I acquired the photo. Guildford was a regular haunt in my early collecting days but the crown is definetely not the same as on the 6th (Guildford) VTC which is very angular in design.

Either way it is a nice photo of a VTV member, and may be one day I will work out which VTC unit he belonged to.

By the way, I certainly like your VTC badge galleries.

Cheers

Sepoy