British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-11-10, 05:45 PM

Default Identifying Cap badge

Hi,
Please find attached two photographs of my great Uncle, George Ernest Chapman who was killed at Reutel near Ypres on 29th October 1914 during the First Battle of Ypres. He was a member of the 3rd Battalion of the Coldstream Guards, service number 9073 and his contribution is forever recorded on the Menim Gate memorial in Ypres.
The portrait photograph is copied from De Rivugny records of the deceased from the 1914 - 1918 conflict and suggests he is wearing the uniform either of the Coldstream Guards or the Nottinghamshire Constabulary, He served with the Guards from 1911 for three years before the outbreak of war when he returned to civilian duty as a policeman serving at Force HQ. Upon the declaration of war he returned to the Army and was in the BEF that travelled to Flanders.
The standing image is believed to be him from the period after he rejoined but it is unconfirmed and in order to try and take my research further I wonder if anyone is able to idenify the cap badge on display in that image. I accept that it is not at all clear but evidently it is not the cap badge of a simple Coldstream Guard. Is there anyone who can help?
Many thanks in anticipation of your response.
Mike
recognised on the
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George Ernest Chapman 1914.jpg (66.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg George E Chapman- Coldstream Guards127.jpg (12.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 02-11-10, 06:08 PM

The man in the first image is a member of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.
Old 02-11-10, 06:10 PM

Default Coldstreamer & Artilleryman

Hi Mike,
The second photograph is one of a Coldstream Guardsman - you can tell from the star shaped collar badges & the fact that the buttons on the front of his tunic are in pairs. I think I'm right in saying that the Coldstreamers are the only regiment to wear their buttons like that.

The first photograph is of a Royal Artilleryman. The cap badge is distinctive. The fact that he is wearing riding breeches, spurs & carrying a whip would probably mean he was in the Royal Horse Artillery.

Good luck with your research,

Alan.
Old 03-11-10, 05:43 PM

Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The man in the first image is a member of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.
many thanks, your advice is helpful but now causes me a mystery as the common view was that the two images were of the same man, obviously not as the portrait is of a Coldstream Guard - my great uncle - George Ernest Chapman died 29-10-1914, he is not the artilleryman
Mike
Old 03-11-10, 05:43 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire collector View Post
Hi Mike,
The second photograph is one of a Coldstream Guardsman - you can tell from the star shaped collar badges & the fact that the buttons on the front of his tunic are in pairs. I think I'm right in saying that the Coldstreamers are the only regiment to wear their buttons like that.

The first photograph is of a Royal Artilleryman. The cap badge is distinctive. The fact that he is wearing riding breeches, spurs & carrying a whip would probably mean he was in the Royal Horse Artillery.

Good luck with your research,

Alan.
Many many thanks for your time anc valuable advice.
Mike
Old 03-11-10, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire collector View Post
The fact that he is wearing riding breeches, spurs & carrying a whip would probably mean he was in the Royal Horse Artillery. Alan.
As 90% of Artillerymen were mounted, wearing the above is not an indication of being in the RHA. If you have the image see if you are able to read what is on the shoulder strap.
Old 03-11-10, 05:53 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelsmith View Post
many thanks, your advice is helpful but now causes me a mystery as the common view was that the two images were of the same man, obviously not as the portrait is of a Coldstream Guard - my great uncle - George Ernest Chapman died 29-10-1914, he is not the artilleryman
Mike
Having loaded the 2 images and expanded them, (in my opinion) they do not look like the same person at all. God luck with your research.
david
Old 04-11-10, 06:53 AM

Default Guardsmen's buttons

As Empire Collector says
I think I'm right in saying that the Coldstreamers are the only regiment to wear their buttons like that.
For those who don't know, all the Guards Regiments hav etheir buttons arranged differently.
Grenadiers evenly spaced
Coldstreamers in pairs
Scots in threes
Irish in fours
Welsh in fives.
This is the most easily spotted difference in the Guards regiments .
Old 04-11-10, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStafford View Post
As Empire Collector says
I think I'm right in saying that the Coldstreamers are the only regiment to wear their buttons like that.
For those who don't know, all the Guards Regiments hav etheir buttons arranged differently.
Grenadiers evenly spaced
Coldstreamers in pairs
Scots in threes
Irish in fours
Welsh in fives.
This is the most easily spotted difference in the Guards regiments .
A key point is that for ORs this arrangement only applies to full dress and undress blues. Only officers have their buttons regimentally aligned in khaki SD/No2 Dress.