British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-10, 11:54 AM

Default Canadian Airborne wings

Please can anyone date these wings for me, thanks, John
Old 15-09-10, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hi John, The parachute qualification wings in your post appear to be an early issue, probably during the Second World War.
Old 15-09-10, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi John, The parachute qualification wings in your post appear to be an early issue, probably during the Second World War.
Thanks Bill, do the red threads showing on the rear have any significance in dating this badge, John

Last edited by blackpowder44; 15-09-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15-09-10, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hi John, The red thread is interesting, but that is often more to do with the bobbin thread that is used rather any specific dating. (If I have the embroidery terminology correct.) The dating was based on the overall construction, and on the heavy cotton mesh backing.
They are an unusual construction, and with the materials, are more likely early issue.
Ken Joyce's Into the Maelstrom has a good listing of various patterns of jump wings, and these are consistent with a couple of the patterns he discusses.
Old 16-09-10, 01:08 PM
Banned

Hi I can definitely help, Canadian Army (1st Type) used from 1943-1953. Issued in Shilo Manitoba, which is in fact the
first Airborne center from 43-45 when both Unites were disbanded. It reopened in 1947 and the training centre was called
"The Joint Air School" and moved to Rivers Manitoba.

Now this wings come with TWO types of Backing, the First I believe was White and later Black Whoever on the Black Backing
the Red thread can't be seen.

Now the RED on the back confirms that, If that gets rub for a long time the Goldish Colour will start disappearing from the
Maple leaf it will turn RED, This is why they changed the Style in 53 to many changing Red since the Maple Leaf had to be
a goldish Colour and they Stop using the Red Thread.
Old 16-09-10, 02:02 PM

Default Airborne Training Centres

Recce, I believe from 1942-48 parachute training was conducted at A-35 Canadian Parachute Training Centre, Shilo, Manitoba with as you stated the Joint Air School being formed at Rivers, Manitoba in 1947.
Old 16-09-10, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Recce, I believe from 1942-48 parachute training was conducted at A-35 Canadian Parachute Training Centre, Shilo, Manitoba with as you stated the Joint Air School being formed at Rivers, Manitoba in 1947.
All my info is 110% correct from 43-45 the Canadian Parachute Training Centre was At Shilo Manitoba, then both Regiments where disbanded in 1945. The Canadian parachuting centre was reopened in 1947 and renamed "The Joint Air School" and moved to "Rivers Manitoba." and training was resumed as a joint
Army/Air Force unite.
Old 16-09-10, 04:11 PM

Default Canadian Airborne wings

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query, especially Recce for his master class on the red threads on the back of my wings.John.
Old 17-09-10, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query, especially Recce for his master class on the red threads on the back of my wings.John.

I C you got my Picture on PM of my 43-53 except mine is the second version with the Black backing and post War.

I heard of yours with the Red thread showing on the Back as the White backing, whoever
never seen one.

Thank you for sharing, I added Your Pictures to my Canadian Airborne wing Reference Photos.

THK U.