British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-08-10, 03:27 AM

Default Canadian Airborne & Foreign Jump Wings

Hi all, a few weeks ago I visited the Chilliwack Millitary Museum on the old CFB Chilliwack. The local Canadian Airborne Regiment Association has a intersting display that documents the regiments' service post WW2 until Somalia. What caught my attention was a mannequin with a West German Senior jump brevet on the shoulder. Another mannequin had US Master Jump Wings on above the name tag. My questions are: What were the regs regarding foreign jump wings and what countries were approved?

The museum is very strong on tracks and vehicles, less so on uniforms and insignia but still worth a visit.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para.jpg (55.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg para2.jpg (71.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg para3.jpg (100.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 16-08-10, 12:35 PM

Default Foreign

Foreign parachute wings could be worn on the SSF Smock provided the member had made the prescribed number of parachute drops as directed by the host nation from their own aircraft. So if you went and took parachute training (in this case refresher training as the candidate was already parachute qualified by his/her home country) with the Germans and made the prescribed number of drops from their aircraft you could qualify for the German parachute wings. The Canadians did the same thing for our Allies and this basically built up esprit du corps amoungst the parachute community and familiarized each other with the various parachute techniques, equipment and methods.

The foreign wings most seen on SSF Smocks were US, British, German and French.

This is an example of Canadian Parachute wings for issue to the US military.

Here is a set of wings that were given to me by the tailor shop in Petawawa in the early 1980s as they were removed from a SSF smock.

Old 16-08-10, 12:48 PM

My instructors in Edmonton in 1976 were festooned with wings with most having US (right chest) and British (right sleeve) with a sprinkling of others, such as German andf French.
Here is my brother-in-law's smock from his days in the Skyhawks. It shows US wings as well as the Skyhawk patch, SSF patch and Canadian 'white leaf' parachute badge.

Old 16-08-10, 12:57 PM

My observations are based on my posting to the SSF 1989-1994.
My understanding was that for foreign parachute wings to be worn by Canadian jumpers on their uniforms, the wings had to have been earned on officially approved exchanges/courses.
There were soldiers who would go on holidays to various countries and take the foreign jump courses to earn the wings. These wings were not supposed to be worn on Canadian uniforms since they were not earned on officially sanctioned courses.
I believe only one foreign wing could be worn on the CF/DEU, but two could be worn on the SSF jump smock.
Now, I have seen more than two foreign wings worn on both CF/DEU and the smock, and I think this may have had more to do with the rank of the person wearing the uniform than the actual regulations.
If I am wrong on these details, I hope somebody with first hand experience wearing the wings will correct me.
As with Ed's post, I have seen US, UK, West German and French wings worn by Canadian jumpers.

Phil
Old 16-08-10, 02:15 PM

Phil,
I believe that you are correct in that the wings had to have been earned while the member was officially representing the CF. Events such as secondments, postings and 'by invitation' jump bivouacs are examples. My son got his Dutch and US wings on personal visits and cannot wear these on his DEU although he could probably sneak them onto his Mess Dress.
My understanding is that a member is limited to 2 foreign badges in wear at the same time but I may be wrong.
Clive
Old 16-08-10, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Clive, Do you mean two different qualification badges? What other "foreign" badges would be taken into wear, other than jump qualifications?
Old 16-08-10, 03:04 PM

Default Foreign Wings

I don't have a copy of SSF Dress Regulations, but I believe there was a lot of latitude on the wearing of foreign wings, perhaps down to sub-unit level within the Force. As I stated earlier, all of the wings in the one image came off of one SSF Smock in the early 1980s and there are three foreign wings in that collection.

The SSF like to 'bling' up their smocks and their are other 'non-regulation' badges that were worn on these garments including various diving badges.

Even today, US Ranger and Sapper tabs are worn on the DEU uniform, again with the approprioate authorization.
Old 16-08-10, 03:24 PM

I have seen Canadians wearing the US Air Assault badge after taking the course. I have also seen the USN Surface Warfare badge worn, but I believe that it is only allowed while posted to US units.
The French Commando Course badge was worn by CF members in Europe after taking the course. I do not think they are allowed to be worn in Canada.

Phil
Old 16-08-10, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Clive, Do you mean two different qualification badges? What other "foreign" badges would be taken into wear, other than jump qualifications?
I meant two para badges but the question is a good one. I don't know that the CF want to see the DEU 'blinged' more than it already is, however, if a wearer had two jump wings would that preclude the Air Assault badge and/or Ranger tab?
On a related topic, why isn't there a jump smock in the CF? From the SWW through to the demise of the CdnABRegt and the SSF we always had a smock of sorts. I had heard rumours that one would be introduced, however that was several years ago. If such a beast is re-introduced then you would (again) have a suitable 'canvas' for the wear of many foreign badges.
Clive
Old 16-08-10, 06:15 PM

As far as I know, the Jump Smocks are no longer worn in the CF.

Phil
Old 17-08-10, 12:55 AM

Great comments by all, thanks for answering my basic questions and expanding on a subject that is a bit of a mystery to those like myself who never served or jumped with the Canadian Forces. I do plan however to do some sport parachuting. It's on my bucket-list for 2010

Greg
Old 17-08-10, 12:13 PM

Default Smocks and Bling

Yes, parachute smocks are gone, they faded from CF use nearly 10 years ago with the introduction of CEDAPAT. I think they were dropped as a line item as the parachute smock was very infrequently used in the field and was more of a garment for garrison wear. With the Army wearing CF in only select circumstances as the daily uniform and the CADPAT uniform now being as the day to day garrison uniform I can see how the parachute smock would not have been adopted in the post-CADPAT military. With the parachute smock gone, all of the associated badges, wings and such are also no longer on issue as these are not worn on CADPAT.

'Bling' is another thing, it seems the trend is for more not less these days with the DEU being the 'Christmas tree' to display all of the qualifications and awards.
Old 17-08-10, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
'Bling' is another thing, it seems the trend is for more not less these days with the DEU being the 'Christmas tree' to display all of the qualifications and awards.
And, looking increasingly "American" in my opinion.
Old 17-08-10, 12:53 PM

I know this is a Canadian thread, however as it's within the scope of the original. I earned, and yes it was hard earned, not a jolly 'Hollywood' one jump affair. 4 foreign wings including my Canadian ones and my blood wings. We could only wear them on the smock, and then only one at a time.

However I noticed in the Gunner Magazine 2 senior RA Officers at a lecture (Both Junior officers in my Battery when I was 7RHA) wearing US jump wings on a service Dress Uniform. They do not work together as both are now CO's of their respective Regiments. It cannot be a mere coincidence that both would decide that week to wear foreign wings on their uniform against regulations. So the rules have changed and they are now allowed to wear them. Can anyone enlighten me to when this rule changed?
Old 17-08-10, 01:19 PM

Default Dress Regulations

You might want to check with the MOD, the RA or the respective regiments to see what the current regulations are for wearing foreign insignia; I suspect things have changed since you were in the service.

CF Dress Regulartions are available on line, I have not looked to see if the British post theirs.