British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-10, 06:10 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default help please.

Hi folks,

I'm having to tidy my PC room for the decorators and I came across a few family photo's, the ones I'm showing are of my uncle who was born in 1898, apart from knowing who he is, I think I have only met him a couple of times when I was very young.....early fifties ??

The first is undated, I should imagine from 1914 ( as a sixteen year old ), onwards, the second is dated July 1922 and again, the third is undated, my interests are two-fold.

Can anyone say with any certainty, that the soldier in the fourth photo is the same man, I think it is, why should these be together otherwise and secondly, because I am thick, why the different style of uniform ? or should I know ??

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

PS, As a favour, can anyone with the technology, identify any of the insignia, I know the cap badge is to the R.A.

DC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family history. 001.jpg (50.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg family history. 002.jpg (37.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg family history. 003.jpg (45.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg family history. 004.jpg (40.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 28-06-10, 06:40 PM
LYPAO Boff

Hi Dave

You are going to have to get a "deeper" scan...... say 600dpi ....... this will give a larger file and give more definition to the badges.

As it is at the moment your RA chap looks like he has a "Saddlers" trade badge on his right arm with two inverted chevrons on the lower sleeve.

The large oval badge looks to have the numbers "2052" or "2652" under bas relief...... with a higher definition scan I might be able to get a bit more detail. Is this a "Tram Company" or "Railway" photo?

Railway = could be "L N E R" London North Eastern Railway.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 28-06-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 29-06-10, 09:18 AM

Thanks for coming in on this Griff,

If I knew what you were talking about, I would comply.........how about a closer shot with my camera ( my scanner isn't the best in the world ).

You could be right re the possible bus/train connection, at the time we lived in Fulham and my uncle lived on the Fulham Palace Rd ? I think ??

Again thanks.

Dave.
Old 29-06-10, 09:23 AM

I would say Railway worker, possibly conductor or ticket collector or some such occupation, as if he were a busman I believe by law he would have had to wear a numbered badge on his tunic with a corresponding number to his cap, my nan was a clippie and the numbered badges were well looked after as they had to be returned if you left etc. and you could be reported to the police for misusing one....

Tom
Old 29-06-10, 09:53 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Thanks for coming in on this Griff,

If I knew what you were talking about, I would comply.........how about a closer shot with my camera ( my scanner isn't the best in the world ).

You could be right re the possible bus/train connection, at the time we lived in Fulham and my uncle lived on the Fulham Palace Rd ? I think ??

Again thanks.

Dave.
Dave, Good day. Are you taking a picture of the photograph hand-held? or on a tripod... If you have a digital camera, set it to max resolution and try using a tripod. However, if the original is not the best - unlike what you might see in the movies...... you can't make a poor photo any better. Take my word for it as I have tried....
If there is any chance of a real good closeup of that cap badge - it could just be LNER, but I would opt for a London Transport company. Wish I still had my Grandads 'lost...' one from his war-time railway job.
Good luck, david
Old 29-06-10, 01:24 PM

Dave,
Those are fantastic photos, and a privilege that you have them and know and remember the person in them.
My own observations are the difference between the first and last photo. In the first one he looks a bit more battle hardened with his service revolver and seriously well shaped forage cap (the shrunk and shaped beret of its day!). The last one looks more like his best uniform or taken a bit earlier. I noted the leggings which makes me wonder was he a driver in the Royal Field Artillery?
Have you done any research on him? Medal cards is usually a good place to start if he survived the war, otherwise CWGC if they didn't..

Talk soon

John
Old 29-06-10, 05:42 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Dave, looking at the way the soldier is wearing his uniform I'd go more for 1916ish
Matti
Old 30-06-10, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post

Dave.
If it was after 1963 then we were fairly close neighbours!
Old 30-06-10, 07:53 PM

Hi Folks,

I've just started researching him, Medal Cards...no joy and I don't think he will be under the remit of the CWGC, I'm trying to take stronger photo's but as David pointed out, I'm photographing old photo's !! I'm sure I can do better though ?

I've also noticed a photo of my father, born January 1900, in India, I know he was a Fire Control Warden in WWII but I'm struggling to find out what he did in the Great War ( I'm afraid we were never close for various reasons ), so I don't know any of his history ??

Keith, I'm sure we've touched on Fulham before, I would have been aged 9 to 11 when I met my uncle.....1954 to 1956, I left Fulham to live in Swindon just before I was 12....hence my rather tenuous connection with the D.E.R.R.

I'll keep on digging !!

Thanks so far.

Dave.
Old 30-06-10, 08:08 PM

Overseas chevrons were introduced in 1918, last picture.
Old 02-07-10, 09:19 PM

Hi Dave.

In answer to the last part, is it the same man in the 1st and 4th pictures, I think it is. Even thought there is a look of a battle hardened and perhaps war weary soldier in one of them,the facial similarities seem to suggest so, especially the angle and shape of the right ear, the same mouth line and position of the eyes and the long bridge of his nose.

Regards
Brian
Old 19-10-10, 02:05 AM

In the first photo with revolver it is interesting that he has a so-called "mourning button" (second button covered in black gauze). This was a Victorian habit originally but a lot of soldiers adopted it when they lost a member of their family. It was not an officially sanctioned practice but widespread and a blind eye appears to have been adopted by the authorities.