British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-08, 03:29 AM

Default 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment Officers Badge

I posted this in the rare badge post but thought I would post it here as well. Very few of these are known, probably less that 10. I've seen 2 on epay, a mutilated one made into a brooch (also on epay) and one in a display at the last MCC of C convention in St. Catharines. It was fluke buy on my part but I pretty happy that I was there at the right time.

Enjoy,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gEORGE1.jpg (73.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg kang1.jpg (91.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 18-01-08, 04:30 PM

Default No Comments?

No comments out there? Oh well, I think its a GREAT badge

Greg
Old 18-01-08, 04:39 PM

It is a SUPER badge!

Like you, I have a particular fondness for officer-pattern badges and this one is a real beauty... I think I only have seen one of these besides yours.

Wonderful to see!
Old 19-01-08, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Greg, Nice badge, and as you mention perhaps one of the most scarce officer's badges of the Canadian army in WW2. Of an additional note, I believe Bill Miller in Alberta has at least one officer's cap badge in his collection.
Old 28-01-08, 02:43 AM

Default Cap and collars

Attached is a photo from my collection is a matched set of Brass Cap and collars. The Bronze badges are extremely scarce as mentioned and for some reason not officially adopted wear on Service Dress. This may have been because all the "kangaroo" insignia was private purchase through regimental funds and it was cost prohibitive. Also, the regiment was disbanded in the field in Holland, most of the officers were not in possession of SD in theatre. Brass collar badges were used by senior NCO's of confirmed (not acting) rank. Sgt's wore them on the Chevrons of the right sleeve, WO's wore them above the cuff of the left. Of the junior officers I've spoke to and/or seen their insignia, they brought home brass collars. Bronze collars do exist however. The kangaroo's commanding officer, Lt. Colonel Gordon Churchill's official portrait in SD shows him adorned in Bright Brass insignia!?

For more info about this unique regiment see my website, the official archives of the 1 CACR.
www.canadiankangaroos.ca

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap n collars.jpg (69.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 28-01-08, 05:44 AM

Wow, so rare and great to see Bill. I've visited your webpage several times. It is THE resouce for the 1 CACR. What are your thoughts on the various types of Shoulder Titles?

Thanks for posting.

Greg
Old 29-01-08, 05:02 AM

Default Shoulder titles

Hi Greg,

I consider the woven cloth (artificial silk) title the only legit, field worn type. It is present in wartime photos I have, it is the only "used" title I see in veteran collections (and I personally know and have talked with dozens of 1CACR vets, my own father being one) and I have never seen a legit BD with anything but this type of title. A very nice melton/embroidered version of this title does appear in some veteran collections, which by recollection and a vague notation in the 1CACR war Diary was distributed just days before disbandment in June of 1945. I don't think all troops received them and as stated I have never seen a worn example of the melton title (though I do have one that exhibits signs of being sewn to something at one point)

... you want to see "worn" see my attached scan. As you can see the flimsy woven cloth title did not hold up well in the field. It was difficult to sew on the uniform, many troopers added a cloth or cardboard backing to stiffen it. and the colours faded. the unused example is a brilliant orange. After exposure to the elements the titles fade to a dull orange-red.

Everything else is repro and there is many, many different repros of this title including a fantasy canvas variety.

I am working on a very comprehensive article on the unit's insignia with Bill Alexander, hopefully I have it edited soon. I am bogged down with my day job right now.

I have an interesting photo of a bullion Kangaroo blazer patch photo that one of Officer's owns. It was an immediate postwar period purchase, I will post tomorrow if I have time.

Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bevos_Front.jpg (66.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 30-01-08, 02:43 AM

All I can say about these badges is simply gorgeous. These are WAY out of league for certain. Just stunning to see a matched set like this.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 17-02-08, 05:08 AM

Default Kangaroo bullion badges...

This is an example from a veteran of an immediate "post-war" blazer badge in bullion, this is a reunion/legion item privately commisioned by the junior officer himself, probably one of a kind. There are a couple of bullion beret badges that were commissioned by a different officer near the end of the war while on leave in London. At least one still survives.

The Blazer badge is approximately double the size of a cap badge, 3"x2" and the bullion beret badge is similar in size to a regular cap badge. Bullion badges were not favoured by the commanding officer and should not be considered "officially" issued or sanctioned by the regiment.

Unique items and quite nice for bullion (I personally, do not like bullion or embroidered badges, I think they look sloppy as compared to stamped metal)

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CACR_Bullion Badges.jpg (92.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 25-02-08, 03:49 AM

Default 1CACR officers badge

Here is another one for the registry....My father also has the Offiecers type as well as the Brass and OSD Collars.I thisk there is a fellow in Montreal that has 2 officers badges as well..

Old 29-02-08, 05:13 AM

Default Another one...

....this one in my dad's collection..
Old 12-03-08, 11:08 PM

Hi, I have an example of the Dutch weave, it has German water weave material for backing.
Old 13-03-08, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Default Post an image?

Could you post an image of the title? Thanks.
Old 13-03-08, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reintjes View Post
....this one in my dad's collection..
Great photo, I think you were asking about 31st construction. I have a so called friend who has one the same as yours.

Last edited by fearnaught; 13-03-08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 17-03-08, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Could you post an image of the title? Thanks.
bmbf 002.jpg

bmbf 001.jpg

bmbf 003.jpg