British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-19, 08:02 AM

Sterling is supposed to be .925 silver, I was told the word silver stamped on could just relate to the colour of the metal not what it claims to be.
Old 10-12-19, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
I would find out when the word 'SILVER' was first used on silver items - can't remember off hand but if an item (or part) was under a certain weight (7.5 grams?) then it was not hallmarked and was just stamped 'SILVER'.
From "HALLMARKING GUIDANCE NOTES" , Assay Offices of Great Britian:

"Articles below a certain weight are exempt from hallmarking. The exemption weight is based on the weight of the precious metal in the article"

Silver 7.78 grams

"Any pre-1950 item may now be described and sold as precious metal without a hallmark, if the seller can prove that it is of minimum fineness and was manufactured before 1950."

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 11-12-19, 06:59 AM

Might as well as my 2p worth. I started collecting officer badges about 10 years ago so have taken a big interest in the markings. There are a lot of threads on the forum regarding hallmarks and sterling silver if you search back in past posts, but here is my take.
Hallmarked silver is sterling, which as mentioned, must contain 0.925% silver. I have seen badges marked Sterling silver, sterling, and also Stg Sil, and in my opinion are all generally good. Some badges are marked silver and are good, such as the Coldstreams badge at the start of this thread, but just having 'silver' is unusual. I am always cautious when I see that because dealers and unscrupulous people such as the previously mentioned badgeman, can make anything, have a minimal silver content, and stamp it as silver, though it may only contain 50%. Rather go for badges marked sterling if you want a genuine badge.
Having said that, I recently bought a Firmin made Coldstreams badge, still in the packet, which was labelled 'Sterling Silver', but the badge only has 'Firmin' embossed on it.
There are loads of anomilies, so really you have to take each badge on its own merit.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-12-19, 07:05 AM

Hi ALex,

Can you let me know the date and pattern No. that are printed on the packet please.

Guessing date is mid to late 1990's and pattern No. is 30086 if badge is large size or 30086 if small. Also guessing there is no 'A' suffix following the pattern No.

Regards,

Chris
Old 11-12-19, 08:45 AM

Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CG1.JPG (61.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CG2.JPG (36.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-12-19, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Here it is.
Hi Alex,

I have the same - I believe the description on the packet is wrong as the non-sterling silver pattern was changed to nickle silver (at least for the small version of the Coldstream Guards) in June 2006 when the pattern number was also changed to include the suffix 'A' as per your example.

So you can't really have sterling silver and suffix 'A' - hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Chris
Old 11-12-19, 11:52 AM

Hi Chris
Thanks for the info, it may well be wrong because the patina isn't quite the same as other silver badges I have but I won't write it off just yet. It is still a stunning badge and it was cheap, so no worries either way.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-12-19, 06:56 PM

I too have one of the 'recent' versions presumably from the same incorrectly marked packaging batch as the examples from Alex and Chris.

Members may recall a thread I started which questioned why so many 'current issue' badges in packaging had been 'disposed of' onto the collectors market.
Perhaps these were rejected as mis-marked?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLDM GDS Offr x.jpg (47.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 11-12-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I beleive that dealers are placing orders with Firmin.
Old 16-01-20, 09:26 PM

Well, I can only go with what I can see in the photographs, even the wartime made Gaunt stuff was noticeably rather better than the subject of this thread.

Quote:
I duuno Frank. The first badges issued to the ranks of the Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment in mid/late 1990's were gold plated and quite a few other modern 'New Metal' badges are absolute stunners.

Regards,

Chris
Old 16-01-20, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Well, I can only go with what I can see in the photographs, even the wartime made Gaunt stuff was noticeably rather better than the subject of this thread.

Her is another piccy - same badge.

Maker Firmin & Sons Limited
Circa 2012

Regards,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NMC01.jpg (45.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 17-01-20, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I too have one of the 'recent' versions presumably from the same incorrectly marked packaging batch as the examples from Alex and Chris.

Members may recall a thread I started which questioned why so many 'current issue' badges in packaging had been 'disposed of' onto the collectors market.
Perhaps these were rejected as mis-marked?

Tim
I have to believe that if the only thing wrong was incorrect text on the bag, the manufacturer would take back and over label or repack.

John
Old 17-01-20, 08:45 AM

Hello Chris,
I don't understand, this badge appears completely different to the one in the original post in this thread?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Her is another piccy - same badge.

Maker Firmin & Sons Limited
Circa 2012

Regards,

Chris