British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-19, 03:12 PM

The VG is definately for Vickers Gunner. Hope it helps.
Old 17-11-19, 02:49 PM

I too, suspect that has simply been made up to it's present state, notwithstanding, you still have each piece and as long as each is original, you have a basic collective value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
I have recently purchased a BD blouse badged to a Sargent Major of the South African Engineer Corps serving in the 6th South African Armoured Division but possibly seconded to the 5th US Army. The combination of formations insignie stitched to the BD blouse is rather odd, comprehensive the usual SAEC metal titles, overseas service orange tab, embroidered South Africa arc nationality titles and both 5th US Army and 6th SAAD flashes. What does not seem to make too much sense are the "South Africa" curved titles, quite redundant since the BD blouse does not lack other signs denoting the nationality of the wearer. Have you met this kind of occurrence before, gents? Thank you so much for your kind help!
Old 21-11-19, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
The VG is definately for Vickers Gunner. Hope it helps.
Thank you! is there any feature of the skill-at-arms sign that denotes it as specifically SA made?
Old 21-11-19, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I too, suspect that has simply been made up to it's present state, notwithstanding, you still have each piece and as long as each is original, you have a basic collective value.
Well, I agree. Still the whole set is quite puzzling: the collar lapels have two small holes and the lugs of South African Engineers Corps collar badges fit perfectly in. And there si a faint but still visible outline of the SAEC collar badges having been worn on the lapels sometime. But still a Sargent should have been wearing normal 6th SAAD/SAEC combo epaulette slip ons (no use for the 6th SAAD on the BD sleeve), and definitively no "South Africa" nationality titles. Also I can't understand why a Sapper should have been so well trained in the use of light and heavy MGs.