British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-12-19, 07:51 PM

Default Interesting DCLI

Picked this one up over here recently for 15.00 USD. I nice WW1 vintage Lambourne in which the soldier used a thick piece of oil cloth for the red backing instead of cloth. Also has a protective lacquer coating on the obverse and is slightly bent to the shape of the cap.
I dont believe that the DCLI wore red backings during ww1, or did they?

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8879.JPG (87.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8877.JPG (97.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 14-12-19, 11:30 PM

Cool DCLI

I had one with a similar backing.

Rob
Old 22-12-19, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Picked this one up over here recently for 15.00 USD. I nice WW1 vintage Lambourne in which the soldier used a thick piece of oil cloth for the red backing instead of cloth. Also has a protective lacquer coating on the obverse and is slightly bent to the shape of the cap.
I dont believe that the DCLI wore red backings during ww1, or did they?

CB
I believe the DCLI adopted a red backing with the new forage cap badge authorised in 1898 for wear with the Field Service cap. It became standard wear with the Service Dress cap and subsequently all orders of dress following suspension of Full Dress in 1914. Whether it was worn in the line is another matter. It might have been considered a compromise to security, but I couldn't say.
Old 31-12-19, 01:32 AM

I’m positive that JF42 is correct. If one examines photos of WW1 era DCLI it is very apparent that there is red patch behind the badges, the dark shade showing through the apertures is invariably clear to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F11E96EE-5C29-46A9-A8E3-798E9659DDBB.jpg (44.7 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 31-12-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 31-12-19, 02:59 AM

I think it is the material used that is being questioned. Regards, Paul.
PS The Royal Berkshires who wore the Brandywine Flash for the same action I believe, also used various red materials. I'm not sure on the dates they used a red backing though-not noticed it in Great War pictures.
Old 31-12-19, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I think it is the material used that is being questioned. Regards, Paul.
PS The Royal Berkshires who wore the Brandywine Flash for the same action I believe, also used various red materials. I'm not sure on the dates they used a red backing though-not noticed it in Great War pictures.
The Royal Berkshires definitely didn’t use a red backing during WW1, Paul, but adopted one at a later point. The patches were all connected with the same action at Paoli Tavern, of which Brandywine was a part, and relate to a night attack on an unsuspecting camp by a composite light battalion comprising the flank companies of a number of regiments, including forebears of the DCLI and RBR.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 31-12-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 31-12-19, 08:19 AM
MarkGD

Interesting photo Toby, who's the VC wearer? Regards Mark
Old 14-01-20, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The Royal Berkshires definitely didn’t use a red backing during WW1, Paul, but adopted one at a later point. The patches were all connected with the same action at Paoli Tavern, of which Brandywine was a part, and relate to a night attack on an unsuspecting camp by a composite light battalion comprising the flank companies of a number of regiments, including forebears of the DCLI and RBR.
I thought I had posted earlier but in case it is of interest, the Royal Berkshires did not adopt a 'Brandywine Distinction' until 1934 (according to the post-war regimental history, this was intended as a boost to recruiting). It would seem that the Berkshires 'borrowed' the tradition of the 46th/2nd DCLI relating to the action at Paoli Tavern first published in 1851. In both cases the regiments put the emphasis on the earlier battle at Brandywine Creek, rather than the attack at Paol Tavern.

The regimental records of the 49th were lost in Canada in 1814 so references for the AWI period are sketchy. However, the 49th (later 1st Berkshires) did feature in costly fighting in Knyphausen's diversionary attack at Chadd's Ford on Brandywine Creek, and Captain Wolfe of the Light company was the only officer killed at Paoli Tavern ten days later, one of the three fatal casualties in that notoriously successful operation, so I suppose the Brandywine Distinction or "Flash' can be thought to commemorate that phase of the campaign as a whole.