British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum  

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Classifieds: Sales and Wanted

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-19, 10:45 AM

Default Large Cap Badge Lot for Sale.

Good Morning All, Iím after some help. Iíve decided to sell my late Fatherís collection of Military Cap Badges.
He was a life long collector, and the collection sits in a 4-drawer filing cabinet, with approx. 1000 + badges and other items such as a coin collection and books.

I appreciate there are a lot of fake badges out there, and I personally donít know the differences myself. Ideally Iíd need some one to come and have a look and give me a estimate in value.

If anyone can help, please message me. Thankyou.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBBAABD2-8365-41CC-A470-76F51314232C.jpg (75.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 07-07-19, 10:49 AM

Located NR Burnham On Sea, Somerset
Old 07-07-19, 12:00 PM

Hi Rob - welcome to the forum - I've sent you a PM as I live in Clevedon and would be happy to come and see the collection and give you an idea of whether they are fakes or genuine. With a collection of 1000 badges it's almost certain some of them will be fake as even the most discerning collector can be caught out. I do not pretend that I'm the most qualified "expert" - but I will be able to give you an indication and the forum itself will welcome more photos and the chance to buy some of them given a chance. As for selling them it all depends on whether you want the optimum value for the collection or a quick turn around. Selling them individually will usually afford the greatest value but it will take some time. We have some dealers on the forum who may well make you an offer for the collection assuming that the majority are genuine - but they'll be wanting to make a profit on the deal obviously. Alternatively you can try an auction house but there are associated costs involved so as a seller expect to "lose" 20% or more of the selling fee. Cheers Tim
Old 07-07-19, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43089 View Post
Good Morning All, Iím after some help. Iíve decided to sell my late Fatherís collection of Military Cap Badges.
He was a life long collector, and the collection sits in a 4-drawer filing cabinet, with approx. 1000 + badges and other items such as a coin collection and books.

I appreciate there are a lot of fake badges out there, and I personally donít know the differences myself. Ideally Iíd need some one to come and have a look and give me a estimate in value.

If anyone can help, please message me. Thankyou.
Id be interested in any Guards badges.
Andy
Old 08-07-19, 03:04 PM

Very nice badges!

Mike
Old 08-07-19, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
Very nice badges!

Mike
Mike,

I am sorry to have to disagree but from first glance they appear to be typical of the fake glengarry badges encountered in their hundreds on ebay every day.
I hope I am wrong, but....

If Tim does get to see them I hope he has better news.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 08-07-19, 06:55 PM

I am with Simon, not looking good
Old 08-07-19, 07:09 PM

Would be nice to see the backs.
Andy
Old 09-07-19, 12:55 PM

To those who have sent me a private message, could you please send me your email address and I will reply that way. Thanks, Rob
Old 09-07-19, 01:43 PM

Default Collection seen !

So as your unelected and unofficial forum representative I went to see Rob and his Dad's collection today. There must be about 1200 + badges all carefully mounted on card - almost all British. He had an extensive collection of reference books to help - badges were mostly purchased at the Yate fair, or dealers catalogues (no web sites) - with such a volume of badges there are a significant amount of fakes in the collection but that still leaves a sizable number of genuine badges. For example he has 45+ WW2 plastic badges all with blades intact and most with makers name on the back ( I don't think they've been faked yet?) . And on most cards there are a mixture of fake and genuine. I don't know whether Rob's Dad just wanted an example of each badge in Kipling and King regardless of whether it was genuine or not? Rob's problem is realising the value of the collection - a few dealers have said they would be interested in purchasing the genuine ones but they are not inclined to travel and will only give him 60% of the value ( whatever that is?) - Obviously a dealer needs to make a profit but Rob's wary that the 60% valuation will be the dealers. I've suggested that forum members being largely collectors would offer close to market value for individual pieces - so if you want to contact Rob direct by PM you will need to tell him what your particular interest is: Infantry, Cavalry, Yeomanry, Corps, and the name of the Regt - ( everything is listed alphabetically ) and have some patience as Rob's still learning to navigate the forum and struggling to load photos. Given that he has no specific knowledge on values it's pointless asking him how much he wants for a particular badge, I said that if offers were made for specific badges in the open, the forum would "self police" as to whether it was a fair offer? To give you some tasters I've attached a few photos - ( by the way the Glengarry's were not modern copies - but unfortunately they were copies! ) . Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0833 (1).jpg (98.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832 (1).jpg (85.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0829 (1).jpg (102.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0830 (1).jpg (106.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0823 (1).jpg (113.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0820 (1).jpg (110.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0826 (1).JPG (94.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0834 (1).jpg (101.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 09-07-19, 01:56 PM

Hi Tim,

I am very grateful for you coming to take a look at the badges today, and for your advice and guidance. I learnt a lot, and I suppose such a large collection was never all going to be originals.
Thankyou for your help, and hopefully speak soon. Rob
Old 09-07-19, 02:20 PM

Glad to hear there are plenty of good ones.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-07-19, 07:38 PM

Some nice plastic there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
So as your unelected and unofficial forum representative I went to see Rob and his Dad's collection today. There must be about 1200 + badges all carefully mounted on card - almost all British. He had an extensive collection of reference books to help - badges were mostly purchased at the Yate fair, or dealers catalogues (no web sites) - with such a volume of badges there are a significant amount of fakes in the collection but that still leaves a sizable number of genuine badges. For example he has 45+ WW2 plastic badges all with blades intact and most with makers name on the back ( I don't think they've been faked yet?) . And on most cards there are a mixture of fake and genuine. I don't know whether Rob's Dad just wanted an example of each badge in Kipling and King regardless of whether it was genuine or not? Rob's problem is realising the value of the collection - a few dealers have said they would be interested in purchasing the genuine ones but they are not inclined to travel and will only give him 60% of the value ( whatever that is?) - Obviously a dealer needs to make a profit but Rob's wary that the 60% valuation will be the dealers. I've suggested that forum members being largely collectors would offer close to market value for individual pieces - so if you want to contact Rob direct by PM you will need to tell him what your particular interest is: Infantry, Cavalry, Yeomanry, Corps, and the name of the Regt - ( everything is listed alphabetically ) and have some patience as Rob's still learning to navigate the forum and struggling to load photos. Given that he has no specific knowledge on values it's pointless asking him how much he wants for a particular badge, I said that if offers were made for specific badges in the open, the forum would "self police" as to whether it was a fair offer? To give you some tasters I've attached a few photos - ( by the way the Glengarry's were not modern copies - but unfortunately they were copies! ) . Tim
Old 09-07-19, 09:54 PM

Any Australian badges ??

Rob
Old 09-07-19, 09:56 PM

Iím afraid not, sorry.