British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-10, 08:33 PM

Default Royal Welsh Fusiliers Album

Album just added for the above.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=535
It will take some time to annotate each badge so please be patient, but any comments and/info more than welcome.
Next project is to redo my Welsh Reg album, wife and kids will love that.
Diolch pawb.
Kevin
Old 25-05-10, 08:35 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Stunning badges especially the white metal one on the busby. A pleasure to be allowed to view them.
Matti
Old 25-05-10, 08:44 PM

Kevin, a very impressive collection you have there.
Regards Tony.
Old 25-05-10, 08:55 PM

Thanks Gents.
My favorite is the Militia Officer's busby grenade in the reversed metals with the gold PoW plumes on the silver grenade.
The one on the fur cap is for a senior NCO in a volunteer battalion. It's the only one I have duplicated in the collection.
Regards,
Kevin
Old 25-05-10, 10:48 PM

Kevin, that's not only an impressive collection but a brilliant education too, Julian

llongyfarchiadau
Old 25-05-10, 10:48 PM

Default A magnificent collection !

Kevin. Very many thanks indeed for sharing your Royal Welch Fusiliers Album with us :
Item 113/4 in particular greatly interests me since it is, as you are no doubt well aware, an extremely rare officers glengarry badge of the period 1881 to 1895-6. However, when it was actually worn is a bit of a mystery, since "Dress Regs" for 1883, 1891, & 1894 all specify an embroidered badge the same as worn on the round forage cap ??? So that the dates of issue and wear of the metal badge are not at all clear. However, there is no doubt that it was adopted at some stage during this period, and it is certainly one of the rarest of the post 1881 series of officers glengarry badges.
Congratulations on a fine display of some really excellent items. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 25-05-10 at 10:54 PM.
Old 25-05-10, 11:00 PM

Great stuff there, Kevin. Well done.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 26-05-10, 09:02 AM

Jeff,
You are of course quite right about the scarcity of the Officer's glengarry badge and well spotted, but you've missed the rarest, or what I believe to be the rarest at any rate.
I'll leave you to see if you can spot it and as a clue it is towards the front of the album so you don't need to go trawling through all the pages.

Julian,
Da iawn a diolch. You'll be fluent soon.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Kevin. Very many thanks indeed for sharing your Royal Welch Fusiliers Album with us :
Item 113/4 in particular greatly interests me since it is, as you are no doubt well aware, an extremely rare officers glengarry badge of the period 1881 to 1895-6. However, when it was actually worn is a bit of a mystery, since "Dress Regs" for 1883, 1891, & 1894 all specify an embroidered badge the same as worn on the round forage cap ??? So that the dates of issue and wear of the metal badge are not at all clear. However, there is no doubt that it was adopted at some stage during this period, and it is certainly one of the rarest of the post 1881 series of officers glengarry badges.
Congratulations on a fine display of some really excellent items. Jeff
Old 26-05-10, 09:13 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Kevin,

Very impressive and inspirational too, just for the Welsh speaking community, whether fluent or not ( nice one Julian ), I thought I would lighten the mood by laughing at, amongst others, myself...

This was sent to me recently and definitely appealed to my sense of humour, I hope you all agree.....

On a beautiful summer's day, two English tourists were driving through Wales .

At Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysili ogogoch they stopped for lunch, and one of the tourists asked the waitress........................!!!!!!!!

'Before we order, I wonder if you could settle an argument for us????!!!

Can you pronounce where we are, very, very, very slowly?!!!!!!!!

The girl leaned over and said, 'Burrr … gurrr … king'!

Dave.
Old 26-05-10, 11:46 AM

Hi 41st,
Just took a look at your album.To quote Nessa," Cracking badges Kev if I say so myself."Da iawn.
Hwyl,
Bantam
Old 26-05-10, 02:26 PM

Default Albwm Newydd i’r Ff.B.C. / New R.W.F. Album

S’mae Kevin

’Rwyf wedi bod yn edrych ar dy albwm bendigedig newydd i’r Ffiwsilwyr Brenhinol Cymreig hefyd. Diolch yn fawr iawn am gymryd yr amser i greu hwn, a rhannu dy gasgliad gyda ni i gyd. Mae’n wych i weld yr holl fersiynau gwahanol, ac yn sicr mae wedi f’ysbrydoli i geisio ehangu fy nghasgliad bach o fathodynnau’r Ff.B.C. - os gallaf!

Cofion gorau

Martin

Hi Kevin

I’ve also been having a look at your excellent new album for the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Many thanks indeed for taking the time to create this, and share your collection with the rest of us. It’s great to see all the different versions, and it has certainly inspired me to try and expand my small collection of R.W.F. badges - if I can!

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 26-05-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 27-05-10, 08:22 AM

Quote :
Jeff,
You are of course quite right about the scarcity of the Officer's glengarry badge and well spotted, but you've missed the rarest, or what I believe to be the rarest at any rate.
I'll leave you to see if you can spot it and as a clue it is towards the front of the album so you don't need to go trawling through all the pages.

Kevin: Crumbs..what a challenge ! You have certainly put me to the test here and I'm afraid exposed my weakness. The rarest ?? Gosh, just looking at page 1 there are so many exquisite rareities and others that I have never seen before, that it is impossible for me to guess. I suppose one of the following four special candidates might fit the bill :
(1) 125 the "reversed-metals" militia fur-cap badge you have already mentioned.
(2) 107 the all brass (or bronze) POW feathers with "23" under..I have no idea what that is..but its very nice !
(3) 129 the large and beautiful bi-metal POW feathers with the pin back..once again I have no idea what it is..Bandmaster possibly ??
(4) and of course 133, the complete Volunteer Officers headdress..magnificent !
If it is none of these, then I'm afraid I give up, but once again, congratulations on a stunning display. Regards Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 27-05-10 at 08:28 AM.
Old 23-12-12, 09:08 PM

Default Bazaar Made

Please can anyone help me out with this?

I have an example of a Bihari made one, but have recently picked up this one. All I have on the clipped shank is "***SNAH & Co, 44.

Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000115.jpg (28.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1000116.JPG (97.6 KB, 11 views)

Tags
royal welsh fusiliers, rwf