British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-20, 02:14 PM

Default 42nd Gurkha Rifles Pipers Plaid Brooch

Thought I'd share another recent acquisition - which is rare and may well be unique - as I know the Gurkha Museum does not have one. It's a heavy cast silver pipers plaid brooch to the 42nd Gurkha Rifles (became the 6th Gurkha Rifles in 1903) It may well date to the brief period of 1901>1903 but it could be earlier.
There is a similar brooch in the Museum's collection with the number 6 below the kukris - (same design, size and construction) which is dated to 1938 but could be have been in use a lot earlier. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7669.jpg (43.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7670.jpg (42.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7671.jpg (48.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-11-20, 02:28 PM

Great find - well done, and thanks for sharing.

I have to add, that although our areas of collecting are far apart I really enjoy your posts and envy your ability to find what seems to be a never ending flow of rare and illusive badges in your collecting field - again well done.
Old 14-11-20, 05:08 PM

Thanks Wooffy - I appreciate your comments. Collecting Gurkha badges are a niche within a niche hobby. Firstly "I spend far too much time on auction sites" (my wifes quote) but then what else are you going to do in lockdown? I've also sought out fellow Gurkha collectors and I believe I know most of them and have made some successful trades with some of them. I've also had great support from members of this forum who have been very generous when coming across Gurkha badges that are not their main collecting sphere and have passed them on. I do love that about this forum and will always try and reciprocate when I come across badges in my extensive online searches that I think forum members might have missed - its called badge karma! Tim
Old 14-11-20, 08:49 PM

Nice badge. Fair play to you Tim, you do turn up some rare Gurkha badges. I also enjoy your posts and looking through your albums which are a great reference.

Jack.
Old 15-11-20, 09:44 AM

Once again Tim you find an unknown, Very very nice.
Steve