British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-22, 07:43 PM

Default Queens crown 12th Lancers

Another badge from the collection I recently bought, having read Laurie Archer's note on this badge he thought it was possibly for private purchase, but Laurie wrote these notes a long time ago and much has happened since.

Your thoughts welcomed.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040401.jpg (82.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg P1040402.jpg (74.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-12-22, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

I would agree but it may have been optimistic that they were bought and worn by the Troopers. There was a very scarce a/a one so the Q/C was certainly made in very small numbers but personally I suspect it was the old k/c badges that were in use by most at amlagamation. That was the case for the 8th KRIH and the 9th Lancers. The 9th did have a metal Q/C bagde issued but most of the regt were apparently still wearing the k/c one.
Old 01-12-22, 09:11 AM

I have posted previously that I was a recruit at the RAC Training Regiment (9th/12th Royal Lancers) at Cambrai Barracks, Catterick from early September 1969. During the first or second week of basic training we became the labour force to set up marquees, make beds in barrack rooms and generally 'bull up' the camp. All this was in preparation for the annual Regimental Mons Moy celebrations. This was only 9 years after the amalgamation of the 9th Lancers and 12th Lancers and I am quite sure that the veterans who viewed the parade with the salute taken by HM The Queen Mother wore berets with the badges of their former regiments. Were they QC or KC and bimetallic or anodised and obtained from the Regimental PRI or Old Comrades Association?

I have been a participant in most RBL Remembrance Parades at the Cenotaph over the past 20 years and have observed that Old Comrades contingents turn out in a variety of headwear wearing both old (pre amalgamation) and current cap badges.

Tim
Old 01-12-22, 06:21 PM

Default 12th Lancers

Thanks for the replies, a badge that I have never been sure about, I think I will keep it as a curiosity until further evidence arrives.

Rob