British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-21, 11:43 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.
Default 1915 OWS badge

Ok, ignore the asking price for the badge in the link below. I did do a ‘double take’ after raising a very doubtful eyebrow at the price when I studied the badge……..1915? Surely, that would make this extremely rare?…..indeed, was the 1914 badge continued into 1915?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363127979...MAAOSwSqtcyiRk

Cheers
James
Old 15-08-21, 01:43 PM

I haven't seen any photos or documents that mention/show a 1915 issue of the original 1914 OWS badge.

Tom Tulloch-Marshall's article mentions that the oval 1915 OWS badge was introduced in "early 1915" and that a memo was issued on 27th March 1915 ,with illustrations of both the 1914 and 1915 badges , stating that "these are the only recognised Official Badges".

So it is possible that a 'short run' of the round badges were produced in early (Jan/Feb) 1915 with that date on them before the official 1915 badge was issued.

Unfortunately I can't make out the details/makers mark on the rear of the badge which may give a bit more information.

When the "unofficial" badges were banned and some workers (due to conscription etc) had their official badges/status removed Fred Spurgin produced a postcard showing a '1916' badge but I think this was simply to illustrate when the new policy was introduced.

I'll have to keep my eye out (and double check listings) to see if another badge appears !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg OWS 1916.jpg (78.3 KB, 43 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 15-08-21, 01:58 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Thanks Mike for a very detailed and informative answer and I very much appreciate you taking the time to get the information together. Having never seen one of these before I did ponder if a small number had been produced before a change of heart resulting in the new design of the oval 1915 enamelled badge…….but to me that seemed doubtful. So as you say I am fascinated to see if any other examples turn up in the future.
Many thanks indeed.
Cheers
James
Old 15-08-21, 02:51 PM

I wonder if someone "jumped the gun" and started producing a 1915 version and was then caught out when the new design was authorised ?

There was definitely a 'back street' trade selling the official 1914 badges to those who were not entitled to wear them .

Will have to do a bit more digging !

Old 15-08-21, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I wonder if someone "jumped the gun" and started producing a 1915 version and was then caught out when the new design was authorised ?

There was definitely a 'back street' trade selling the official 1914 badges to those who were not entitled to wear them .

Will have to do a bit more digging !

It would seem that the design for the 1914 On War Service badge was even used for commemorative tea spoons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New finds 022.jpg (117.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg New finds 023.jpg (50.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 16-08-21, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Ok, ignore the asking price for the badge in the link below. I did do a ‘double take’ after raising a very doubtful eyebrow at the price
Just noticed that the seller also has a 'standard' 1914 OWS badge priced at £69.29 (not including £17.32 postage !) .

I've asked for details of the makers mark on the '1915' as it is unlike the ones from Vaughton or Collins , both off which are within a 'ring' around the badge.

Old 16-08-21, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
It would seem that the design for the 1914 On War Service badge was even used for commemorative tea spoons.
I'm surprised that it hasn't turned up on more items , lighters/cigarette cases etc , as it seemed a common practice with military/British Legion badges in the 1920's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL advert 1928.jpg (74.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 16-08-21 at 08:07 AM.
Old 13-09-21, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I've asked for details of the makers mark on the '1915' as it is unlike the ones from Vaughton or Collins , both off which are within a 'ring' around the badge.
I never heard back from the seller and last week the listing for the badge disappeared !

Quote:
This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.
Now , when you try to search for "seller's other items" you get '0 results' .

Old 14-09-21, 02:06 AM

Hi Mike and James

I may be relying on a less than perfect memory but I thought (note the use of "thought" here...) that I had one of these 1914 style/1915 badges. I'd have to really go through the archives here so please be patient....

That badge looks to be quite genuinely made with vitreous enamel and gold plated. The giveaway would be a photo of the backstamp but that hasn't been shown.

I can well imagine that any semi-competent tradesman could have made these for the back street market and would have had a ready market at the time for his output.
Old 14-09-21, 02:15 AM

Just had a look at the listing and I now see that there was a photo of the reverse....

The seller has my gift for photo taking so I can't really see what it is but it appears to have an "Rd" mark in the bottom line. I've also not seen any of the 1914 Admiralty badges maker marked like this. They are either devoid of a maker's stamp or have that "ring" maker stamp for Collins or Dingley.
Old 14-09-21, 02:41 AM

OK, have found these two badges but don't seem to have taken a scan of the reverses. I will hunt them both out and post photos if there is anything of note

The one has some red enamel in the crown (possibly why it caught my eye in the first place..) and the other is clearly an effort to supply the need for a generic style badge and for firms that had a fairly limited work force and therefor little need for a "unique" badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914style.JPG (11.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1914style2.JPG (10.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 14-09-21, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I can't really see what it is but it appears to have an "Rd" mark in the bottom line. I've also not seen any of the 1914 Admiralty badges maker marked like this. They are either devoid of a maker's stamp or have that "ring" maker stamp for Collins or Dingley.
No matter what I do I can't get a clear enough photo to make out all the marks.

The top one appears to be the manufacturer : possibly & Co. or & Son(s).
Next line : Registered Design number / British Standard ?
Bottom : LONDON ?

My list of manufacturers of the 1914 badge has so far reached 11 and there could still be others I haven't seen.

Over 50% have the "ring" mark and none of the other marks match up to the one on this badge.

Will be interesting to find out the maker of your badge .

I have aslo seen a few of the privately produced "generic" On War Service 1914 design badges with various company names/logo in the center.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 Rear 1.jpg (80.6 KB, 15 views)

Old 14-09-21, 11:09 AM

Hi Mike

Good work! I was tearing my eyes out trying to read it too. OK, I think that there is DEFINITELY "London" and then, I think, there is an address ("86 York ??????").

Bound to be a maker on there too. I would also postulate that if they were made by Trotter Independent Traders even back in 1914-15 they wouldn't be marking the badges so this must have been, as has been said, someone anticipating another year of the same design but with a different year.

Funny you mention Spurgin's (sp?) card. I've wanted one as a "go with" for ages and seen them go for some silly prices (15 quid up..) but have finally got a postally used one I hope for a fair price (under a fiver...)
Old 14-09-21, 11:17 AM

While I'm about it, thought that I'd post this lot. Probably the resolution isn't great but, if anyone would like to comment on any of the badges, it would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsassted9.jpg (46.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 14-09-21, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
While I'm about it, thought that I'd post this lot. Probably the resolution isn't great but, if anyone would like to comment on any of the badges, it would be appreciated.
Nice selection , will download photo for inspection/reference.