British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Photographs of South African Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-08-21, 11:27 AM

Default Looking for/help needed with Cape Town Highlanders photos

Hello everyone, I am looking for any pictures of Cape Town Highlanders wearing their khaki drill doublet during the second world war (I hope that is the correct name for the uniform). I was questioning if it was anywhere similar to the Transvaal Scottish khaki drill doublet uniform, and am therefore looking for photos as a way to compare.
Old 19-09-21, 07:27 AM

Yes and no. Broadly similar but the cuff designs were different. TSs had distinctive 3 pronged cuff. CTH cuff was same as the Gordon Highlanders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 241630639_4602873736422503_2030409953300106539_n.jpg (66.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 20-09-21, 07:24 AM

Nice photo! That's Pipe Major Sandy Grieve, a bit of a legend in his time. Shot through the mouth with the Black Watch at Magersfontein IIRC. Moved to SA and fought in WWI and then refused to be left behind in WWII and went to Egypt with the CTH as well!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 20-09-21, 07:25 AM

Hi

I have a QSA to this unit with, I think, Cape Colony as a bar. Rather makes sense if they're from the Cape.....
Old 06-10-21, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

I have a QSA to this unit with, I think, Cape Colony as a bar. Rather makes sense if they're from the Cape.....
My paternal Grandfather served with them in WW1 in the GSWA campaign. A very old Cape Town regiment based at the Cape Town Castle I believe.

Tags
cape town highlanders, cth, south africa, ww2, wwii