British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-22, 10:32 PM

Default THE NEWEST ADDITION TO MY DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION

The newest addition to my Dragoon helmet collection just arrived from the United Kingdom and is an exciting addition to the collection. It is a near flawless example of an 1871 pattern officer's helmet to the Fife Light Horse, a complete and original example. The attached pictures show the Fife Light Horse helmet displayed with other helmets in my collection which can be seen at the "all albums" tab and titled "British and Commonwealth Dragoon Helmets"... I hope you enjoy the images!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fife6 (2).jpg (48.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Fife6.jpg (60.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Fife8.jpg (57.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 30-11-22, 09:13 AM

Beautiful!
Old 30-11-22, 09:26 AM

Default Dragoon helmets

Stunning, thanks for sharing.

Rob
Old 30-11-22, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
. It is a near flawless example of an 1871 pattern officer's helmet to the Fife Light Horse,
Fantastic helmet.

I have here Light Horse Volunteers and Mounted Rifle Volunteers 1860 - 1901 by W.Y Carman.

It says that the metal helmet, as a replacement for the leather helmet that was already in use when they where Fifeshire Mounted Rifle Volunteers (before 1870), was approved 27th January 1896.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 30-11-22, 02:56 PM

Thank you, Alex! The pictures don't do it just... this was an exciting find for me! Stay tuned, I have a Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet arriving in a couple of weeks and will post pictures!

Best regards,

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Beautiful!
Old 30-11-22, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Stunning, thanks for sharing.

Rob
Hello Rob,

Thank you for your very kind comment, I am pleased you like the helmet. If you have an interest in dragoon helmets, stay turned, I havea Royal Berks helmet arriving in a couple of weeks and you can see other helmets in my collection at the "all albums" tab here on the forum, the album titled "British and Commonwealth Dragoon Helmets"

Rgards,

David
Old 30-11-22, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Fantastic helmet.

I have here Light Horse Volunteers and Mounted Rifle Volunteers 1860 - 1901 by W.Y Carman.

It says that the metal helmet, as a replacement for the leather helmet that was already in use when they where Fifeshire Mounted Rifle Volunteers (before 1870), was approved 27th January 1896.
Hello Henk,

Thank you for looking at my newest helmet, that you appreciate it and your very generous comment. Your note is about the helmet's origins are confirmed in David J. J. Rowes book "Head Dress of the British Heavy Cavalry" page 144. If you have an interest in dragoon helmets, I acquired a Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet for my collection that should arrive in a week or two and will be posting pictures of it to the Forum. Other helmets in my collection can be seen at the "all albums" tab here, the album titled "British and Commonwealth Dragoon Helmets". Again thanks!

Regards,

David
Old 30-11-22, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeoHelmetGuy View Post
Hello Henk,

Thank you for looking at my newest helmet, that you appreciate it and your very generous comment. Your note is about the helmet's origins are confirmed in David J. J. Rowes book "Head Dress of the British Heavy Cavalry" page 144. If you have an interest in dragoon helmets, I acquired a Royal Berkshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet for my collection that should arrive in a week or two and will be posting pictures of it to the Forum. Other helmets in my collection can be seen at the "all albums" tab here, the album titled "British and Commonwealth Dragoon Helmets". Again thanks!

Regards,

David
I looked already earlier at your album: gorgeous. And of course, many of us are waiting for the pictures f the Berkshire one.

Old 01-12-22, 09:17 AM

Default RBYC Helmet

Hi David

I am assuming you have acquired the later white-metal dragoon helmet. All of the reference books quote that this helmet was worn by the regiment from 1875 (I suspect incl Rowe). The first to publish picked a likely date and everyone else and follow on but incorrectly.

These helmets were presented to regiment by Col Van de Weyer in 1884 to replace the earlier black japanned one

I can provide further details of the press reports if you wish

Andew
Berks Yeomanry Museum

Last edited by andrewfrench; 01-12-22 at 09:18 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-12-22, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfrench View Post
Hi David

I am assuming you have acquired the later white-metal dragoon helmet. All of the reference books quote that this helmet was worn by the regiment from 1875 (I suspect incl Rowe). The first to publish picked a likely date and everyone else and follow on but incorrectly.

These helmets were presented to regiment by Col Van de Weyer in 1884 to replace the earlier black japanned one

Andew
Berks Yeomanry Museum
It seems that both references mentioned in this thread (in post #4 and #7) have 1896 as the date of approval. Neither 1875 nor 1884 are ever mentioned here.

Old 01-12-22, 04:21 PM

fine but not relevant to what I posted
Old 01-12-22, 04:56 PM

Quote:
fine but not relevant to what I posted
Sorry, then I do not understand it at all.

Old 01-12-22, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
I looked already earlier at your album: gorgeous. And of course, many of us are waiting for the pictures f the Berkshire one.
Hello Henk,

Again, thank you!! The Royal Berks Yeomanry Cavalry helmet is currently somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean winging its way to me here in the United States. I anticipate arrival sometime close to the middle to end of next week... all depending on how quickly customs and the US postal service move. As soon as it arrives pictures will be posted! Again, thank you for your interest!

Best regards,

David
Old 01-12-22, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Hi David

Andew
Berks Yeomanry Museum
Hello Andrew,

Yes, you are correct, it is the white metal version of the helmet to the RBYC that i recently acquired. David Rowe, in his book states that the black japanned helmet was adopted by the RBYC in 1852 (pp. 137) and that then, was replaced in 1887 (pp.138) by the white metal helmet. So, from what you have said, the white metal version of the helmet was adopted three years earlier in 1884? Absolutely, if you can provide the press reports and any other information regarding either version of the helmets that were in service with the RBYC it would be appreciated and invaluable! I have looked at the Royal Berks Museum on-line, you have a marvelous collection of uniforms and helmets! I will privately message you with an e-mail address to send any relevant information to. i will be posting pictures of the helmet here on the Forum when it arrives.

Thank you in advance for your information.

Kind regards,

David
Old 01-12-22, 10:29 PM

Excellent items David,keep up the good work. Not my area at all but have an appreciation for stuff like this.

Tags
cavalry helmets, headgear, helmets, yeomanry helmets