British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-05-10, 10:09 PM

Default 17TH LANCER'S HELMET PLATE TO THE BAND

Does anyone have any info on this plate, is it a made up fantasy piece or genuine,
Ive never heard of it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17TH-LANCERS-H...item2eacf89411

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 15-05-10, 10:42 PM

I have just been reading up on the `Lancers Band` in Rowe & Carmanns book on Lancers Headdress. The answer is yes, this is a genuine pattern of badge. 34 full lance caps were commissioned for the lancers band in 1999. There is a full chapter in the book on the making of the headdress though a completed example was not available to photograph prior to publication. There is a capza plate shown but not the reverse so i cannot compare. The plate is definately not to the 17th lancers though an understandable mistake. The thing that jumps out at me is the position of the fixing lugs. Would the bottom pair sit directly behind the position of the sweat band making it extremely uncomfortable to wear? The older plates had 2 bolts higher up as well as stich points around the perimeter!
Cheers, Dave
Old 03-12-10, 04:21 PM

Default marthod

Hello, just a small point, the helmet plates with post and screws were normally the OR's plates, (OR's; "other ranks" or private soldiers), the ones with stitch holes around the edge were officers plates The OR's were pressed from a single sheet of brass, officers were gilded brass and the decorations were normally seperate silver castings which were then attached to the gilded plate. Martyn.
Old 06-12-10, 02:08 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi

I tried to open the ebay site but it would not open so I have not been able to site the plate, however the plate would in fact be a 17th/21st Lancers plate. The band did wear a specially made helmet plate on their helmets. These were not of gilt metal but a two piece construction with a white metal Motto and decoration attached to a plate but Im not sure what the plate was made of. I have many photographs of the band wearing this dress up to amalgamation.

If you would like to send me a pm I will scan a photo of 6 members of the band in full dress wearing the plate.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Old 06-12-10, 10:13 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I too only found an " apology page " from Yahoo, a shame because I would have liked to have seen the plate ??

Dave.
Old 07-12-10, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Does anyone have any info on this plate, is it a made up fantasy piece or genuine,
Ive never heard of it.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17TH-LANCERS-H...item2eacf89411

Cheers
Malc
Note the 90 days.
This listing (200470467601) has been removed, or this item is not available.

•Please check that you've entered the correct item number
•Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing
Old 15-12-10, 01:01 AM

Smile 17/21 Lancers Band lance cap plate.

Hi Guys

There was a band lance cap plate for sale on the Q & C Militeria web site, I was interested to buy it but it had been flatened and mounted so I didnt buy it. It may still be there, but I have not checked, if you want to have a look at this site it might still be there, no harm in looking.

Sorry I have just checked and its no longer there.

Cheers

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 15-12-10 at 02:05 AM.
Old 18-05-14, 08:40 PM

Default 17th/21st lancers Band lance cap plate

There are 2 band plates one which is like the normal 1902 plate and has Lancers Band not seventeenth Lancers on it I believe the Lancers band use them. The other is a more simple affair with a ray plate with the motto in the middle and a banner under it 17th/21st Lancers. I actually have a complete 17th/21st lancers band czapka not everyone's cup of tea as its Fiberglass, but still apart of my old Regiments history when I work out how to post pictures I will put some up.
Old 18-05-14, 08:59 PM

I have the 17th/21st lancers band Czapka I will post pics soon
Old 21-05-14, 06:02 AM

Smile

G'day Mac

Keep up the good work and the info flowing.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow regimental collector.

Regards

Phil.
Old 21-05-14, 08:05 AM

Default lancers

Hi -a band lancers for sale auction in Carlisle this weekend lot 193 Laidlaw Auctions 25/5 @10.00am

Regards David
Old 21-05-14, 08:10 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Phil for the welcome.
I have relied on Mick Holtby at the Museum for advice recently I had some bits and bobs and ive just been bitten by the collecting bug. During my time at Regiment both 17th/21st and QRL I often got involved in historic projects ect.
My main love is 17th, but I will collect anything lancer related, I just picked up a 9th lancer czapka,but lost out on a 17th plate 1902 I have 2 other 17th plates but iam finding the 1902 hard to get, and I have struggled to find a 12th plate.
Old 21-05-14, 08:15 AM

Default Iam heading up there

Thanks Dave
I am heading that way Sunday my first live in the room Auction cant say iam happy about all the commission and VAT, but I am new and don't have many contacts.
Old 21-05-14, 08:58 PM

Mac
Have a 12th lancers in my album
Regards
Alan
Old 22-05-14, 08:50 AM

No need to worry about live auctions

Just go with the flow and set yourself a limit that takes in to account the buyers commission and VAT

Enjoy the experience and remember it is always better to regret buying the item than regret not buying the item

I attend many auctions up and down the country and providing you stick to your limits things always work out in the end. One lot that looks expensive can always be weighed off against another lot that you get cheap

I always work on the swings and roundabouts theory

Good luck with your bidding

Cheers

Andrew