British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-09, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris,

Is quite right here. I have spoken personally to ex-KOSB Officers and there were no women in the Bn before the introduction of the AGC(SPS) in the early 1990s who wore the AGC badge. There were no berets (on men or women), no female 'jumper' badges, interim female cap badge or anything of the sort. All of this is total fantasy from dealers.

alan
Thanks Alan,

When I get back to New Zealand I hope to sort my notes out and expose a few other 'rare variant' items.

One interesting item to look out for though is the Royal Engineers one part badge. This was produced as a prototype together with the two part badge and the choice was made to go with the two part badge before sealing and authorising it for issue.

This was a rare procedure to make such an actual badge from hardened dies and then to scrap it as a lead impression was usually made from a single design only and a decision to proceed taken from there.

As such, no one part RE badges were authorised for issue although two hardened dies were made.

I can't reference this now but come upon it in the RE badge file in the National Archives.

I picked my one part badge from a dealer on eBay for a couple of quid and suspect that there cannot be too many about.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-08-09, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

Resurrecting this.

There was no 'small' badge for the KOSB. What is sold by some dealers as a KOSB beret or females badge is in fact the Pipers sporran badge. The curator of the KOSB museum in Berwick upon Tweed showed me this sporran badge on a sealed pattern card and informed me that the KOSB never wore a beret.

So, don't spend 25 quid odd on this 'rare' variant.

Regards

Chris
Hodges 'British Army Badges' p. 167 #20 shows a 'purse badge' 3x3.75cm, but with KC (book is from 2005). When was this worn, as all pipers seem to wear a silver cantle on the sporran.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 01-08-09, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Hodges 'British Army Badges' p. 167 #20 shows a 'purse badge' 3x3.75cm, but with KC (book is from 2005). When was this worn, as all pipers seem to wear a silver cantle on the sporran.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Hi Fougasse,

My info was taken from a sealed pattern card - item was anodised aluminium with 'Queen's' crown.

If I remember the card was describred as:

'Pipers Sporran Badge'

I have it photographed with pattern number and date of sealing etc. and will post this information when I get back to EnZed.

The curator, Ian Martin, also confirmed this and was most helpful. I also managed to obtain one of the last A/A KOSB badges from him. By looking at the lugs the badge looks like it came from Firmin and is a 'mirror' back design implying (to me at least) that it was a late manufactured badge.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-08-09, 05:47 PM

Default RE once anodised

Quote:
Thanks Alan,

When I get back to New Zealand I hope to sort my notes out and expose a few other 'rare variant' items.

One interesting item to look out for though is the Royal Engineers one part badge. This was produced as a prototype together with the two part badge and the choice was made to go with the two part badge before sealing and authorising it for issue.

This was a rare procedure to make such an actual badge from hardened dies and then to scrap it as a lead impression was usually made from a single design only and a decision to proceed taken from there.

As such, no one part RE badges were authorised for issue although two hardened dies were made.

I can't reference this now but come upon it in the RE badge file in the National Archives.

I picked my one part badge from a dealer on eBay for a couple of quid and suspect that there cannot be too many about.

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris/chaps,
For info my once piece RE anodised has an unmarked slider . . . I suppose as one might expect if it were a prototype.

Regards all

Bess
Old 01-08-09, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Hi Chris/chaps,
For info my once piece RE anodised has an unmarked slider . . . I suppose as one might expect if it were a prototype.

Regards all

Bess
Mine too Bess and I must try to ID the slider and then the manufacturer.

The RE had fully made up one and two part badges and decided on the two part version. This is officially documented at the National Archives and did not follow normal practice of just relying on lead examples from pre-hardened dies as the final check before acceptance followed by sealing.

Regards

Chris
Old 13-11-09, 06:17 AM

Dear Hagwalther,

It has been a long time since I thgt about my AA collection, but having come across this page on the Inet, I realise that I might have some input here, although I also see that I might be one or two years too late!

In my collection I have some of the badges you may be interested in, depending of course on how much progress you may hve made since yr last posting on this subject.

I own an RSF KC, E Yorks, All Silver AA College, Highland Brigade, Lowland Brigade, Both variants of Wiltshire Regt, All Silver W Yorks Regt, Hampshire Carabiniers, Millfield School CCF, All Silver Tonbridge School, Kent, all in Agonised Ally. It may be that I have other AA badges you are interested in, but I haven't checked yr galleries comprehensively yet.

If you wd like to discuss this issue offline, willielawrence@hotmail.com
Old 13-11-09, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Just found this thread. I have a one piece RE anod badge, no maker mark, which I picked up at a fair in Farnham, Hampshire, UK a few months ago for a couple of quid.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 13-11-09, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Dear Hagwalther,

It has been a long time since I thgt about my AA collection, but having come across this page on the Inet, I realise that I might have some input here, although I also see that I might be one or two years too late!

In my collection I have some of the badges you may be interested in, depending of course on how much progress you may hve made since yr last posting on this subject.

I own an RSF KC, E Yorks, All Silver AA College, Highland Brigade, Lowland Brigade, Both variants of Wiltshire Regt, All Silver W Yorks Regt, Hampshire Carabiniers, Millfield School CCF, All Silver Tonbridge School, Kent, all in Agonised Ally. It may be that I have other AA badges you are interested in, but I haven't checked yr galleries comprehensively yet.

If you wd like to discuss this issue offline, willielawrence@hotmail.com
Hi William,

Email sent.

Regards

Chris
Old 13-11-09, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Just found this thread. I have a one piece RE anod badge, no maker mark, which I picked up at a fair in Farnham, Hampshire, UK a few months ago for a couple of quid.
Hi Jerry,

One piece RE are rejected prototypes.

That's what the official documentation says...

Regards

Chris
Old 16-11-09, 01:24 PM

Default RE One piece badge

Quote:
Hi Jerry,

One piece RE are rejected prototypes.

That's what the official documentation says...

Regards

Chris
I can confirm that these badges were issued in abt 1994-1995. My regimental Quartermaster gave me one as a gift at that time, when they had just arrived in the regimental clothing stores, because he knew I collected badges.
Old 16-11-09, 03:49 PM

Default Dodgy AA badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I do know which dealer had the dodgy badges and can PM anyone interested.

Alan
Hi Alan, having spent a very great deal of hard-earned cash on AA badges these last fifteen or so years, I wd be v interested in a personal & private email abt anyone who was flogging fakes. (I already have an idea abt one or two people) Many thanks!

willielawrence at hotmail dot com
Old 16-11-09, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that these badges were issued in abt 1994-1995. My regimental Quartermaster gave me one as a gift at that time, when they had just arrived in the regimental clothing stores, because he knew I collected badges.
Hi William,

Does yours have a maker mark on the slider or cast to the badge body?

Regards

Chris
Old 18-11-09, 07:47 AM

Default Agonised RE Cap Badges

Hi Chris,

I dunno what it says on the slider of my sapper cap badge.

Will be home on Saturday, so will be able to tell you then.

Cheers
Old 09-12-09, 09:16 AM

Default Agonised Sapper cap badges

Here are a couple of images of my RE cap badges.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\William Lawrence\Desktop\101MSDCF[/IMG]
Old 10-12-09, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple of images of my RE cap badges.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\William Lawrence\Desktop\101MSDCF[/IMG]
Hi Mate,

Looks like the piccy is still on your C: drive.

Regards

Chris

Tags
anodised, staybrite