British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-21, 02:09 PM

Default 2nd Regiment Maritime Royal Artillery - DEMS certificate

Hi,

Received today this very nice certificate, delivered to a named gunner from 2nd regiment Maritime Royal Artillery.
These men were building the teams managing the guns of the Defensively Equiped Merchant Ships (DEMS).

From what I found online this certificate:
- Was probably customized by the unit (2nd regiment MRA) from an original print for First regiment MRA. The “2nd” and yellow squares have been glued above the (now hidden behind) “First”.
- The colours of this certificate are a little faded, in particular the red of the top left rose of England, and the MRA letters, which all now appear as pale brown.
- This gunner was probably given this certificate when he was demob’ed (3rd September 1945, from note on the back?).
- He customized a bit his certificate by gluing a little british flag close to the Lt-Colonel signature.

Questions now please:
1/- I am still looking after ww2 period MRA badges (with AA letters, then RA, as shown on top). Anyone could help?
2/- Anyone could help me at identifying this Lt-colonel who signed?
3/- Anyone could explain me why some of the rectangles with battlefield names have four dots, some not? What’s the meaning of these dots?

A little bit of additional reading on this type of certificate: https://www.benjidog.co.uk/recollect...0Anderson.html

Note to the administrators: not too sure where to post this. If not proper place, sorry & feel free to remove.

Cheers,

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308CF29F-65B0-4E76-BDD6-453F250FC231.jpg (112.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2001D044-784E-4C67-938C-5B1EBB1427B6.jpg (41.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Lemataf; 03-02-21 at 02:17 PM.