British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-21, 07:27 AM

Default Badge Identification

Hi, Thanks for accepting me into this forum. We are in the process of sorting through my late father in laws belongings and have come across a box of what I think are cap badges. My father in law served in the RAF and the badges are from various regiments so I assume he once collected them. I was wondering if you could advise on what is best to do with them?, are they of any value?. I have attached a photograph of one of the badges and could if it would help create an album of the others, there are about 20 in total. I am sorry if this post is not allowed but thankful for any help you can give.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210328_174652.jpg (58.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20210328_174639.jpg (64.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 29-03-21, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Hello John , welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 29-03-21, 01:17 PM

Default Badges

Welcome to the forum, offering for sale on here is a good idea if you want to sell your badges.

The badge you have shown is a pagri badge for the South Wales Borderers.

Rob
Old 29-03-21, 06:49 PM

Thank you for the reply, could you give me anymore information about the badge, i.e. what is a Pagri badge?, who/what rank would have worn it?, what era is it from? As I said my father in law served with the RAF, I think that was for his National Service as he would have only been 12 at the outbreak of WW2.
Old 31-03-21, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

It predates WW1 and was made to be worn on the Foreign Service helmet a.k.a. pith helmets

They do not seem to have been worn though as there are no photos of them in use.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=695
Old 31-03-21, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It predates WW1 and was made to be worn on the Foreign Service helmet a.k.a. pith helmets

They do not seem to have been worn though as there are no photos of them in use.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=695
Precisely. Just what these badges were for is a mystery as they appear to have not been worn as a Pagri badge. They are fairly common and hard to understand why so many were made for a purpose never fulfilled.

CB
PS, I collect Pagri flashes and badges, but have none of these in my collection. If they ever were actually intended for this purpose, they do represent what was worn.

Last edited by cbuehler; 31-03-21 at 03:10 PM.
Old 31-03-21, 08:54 PM

Did The SWB, at any time, wear Slouch hats?

If so, I believe this badge was intended for wear on said headgear.

Reason for believing this, is that The Essex Regiment HPCs with a slider, which are usually identified for pagri wear, were actually worn on slouch hats.

However, I may be completely wrong re the SWB.

Regards.

Brian
Old 07-04-21, 11:40 AM

Thank you again for the replies, though it adds to the mystery of why it and several others were in my father in laws possession. He never mentioned in the 40 odd years that I knew him that he collected them and my wife was also unaware of them, a mystery I will probably never solve.

A question related to this is, I see there is a section for Buying and Selling would it be allowed to post the photos of the badges I have and offer them for sale. I would not have any idea of their value, if any, but I am sure that members of this group would offer a fair price, I don't mean an auction just if someone would like to purchase any give me an honest price.
Old 07-04-21, 08:06 PM

As far as I'm concerned and I expect that the great majority of other members will concur, your offer to post the badges for sale on the site is perfectly acceptable.

As to prices; perhaps if you have a look through the numerous 'for sale' threads on here, you may garner some indication as to what to expect.

If some of the items you wish to offer aren't found, I suggest looking at some reputable dealer sites, finding similar/same items and price your badges at somewhat less then the dealers are asking.

Good luck.

Regards.

Brian
Old 08-04-21, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the advice.
Old 08-04-21, 09:44 AM

Yes, they were (intended to be ) on the FSH and the "Universal Service Headdress" (ie 'slouch' !) authorised in 1903 (on paper........