British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-17, 04:14 AM

Default Gibraltar Security Police Dates of Service

Hi Guys,

I have looked but still not found the date when the Gibraltar Security Police become the Gibraltar Service Police.

I have found info that the Gibraltar Security Police was formed in 1938 and was also in existence in 1964 as per the 1964 Birthday Honours to:

William Alexander Adamson, Superintendent, Gibraltar Security Police, Ministry of Defence

However, I have still not discovered the date of the name change from 'Security' to 'Services'.

I appreciate that the Gibraltar Security Police was renamed Gibraltar Defence Police on 17th Dec 2009.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Chris
Old 25-11-17, 08:46 AM

According to Harry Wynne's book they were renamed "Gibraltar Services Police" in 1982. Bear in mind that although the Gibraltar Security Police were formed in 1937/8, they wore War Dept. Constabulary insignia until 1971 and then wore MoD Police insignia. They eventually in 1972 adopted their own named badges.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 25-11-17 at 08:53 AM.
Old 25-11-17, 09:16 PM

Default Gibraltar Services Police

The renaming of the 'Gibraltar Security Police' to the 'Gibraltar Services Police' took place 27 November 1980 with a full parade when the standard police diced hat band was exchanged for a green and white band along with exchange of insignia. It was my error that I quoted 1982 in an my earlier publication. Please find images of the parade attached. The change was brought about so as not to confuse the SECURITY word with that of Spanish SECURITY police
Hope this this will be of help. Harry Wynne
Old 26-11-17, 06:25 AM

Dave, Harry,

Thanks for the info - been trying to find this out for a while now!

All the best,

Chris