British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-09, 09:50 AM

Default RAAC Badge Guide

Hi Guys,

I've done up a bit of a guide to badges for the Royal Australian Armoured Corps as a pdf file.

If you are interested, it can be found here.

Mick
Old 08-03-09, 10:58 PM

Very Nicely Done
Ted
Old 09-03-09, 08:47 AM

Great work, Mick! You've put together a lot of otherwise very hard-to-come-by information.
Old 09-03-09, 08:49 AM

Thanks mate - I will update it again soon as I have more info and pictures to add.

Mick
Old 09-03-09, 09:32 PM

I'll be updating this guide very soon as well - have some more very interesting badges to add to it.

Mick
Old 10-03-09, 05:02 PM

Default RAAC Badge Guide

Many thanks for that listing Mick. It came at a time when I was thinking about what to start seriously collecting next and RAAC badges was in my mind for a few months, but I fear any meaningful collection is well beyond my meagre means, and it has decided me to concentrate on a small collection I have of 10th Light Horse/ 10 WAMI stuff, and perhaps extend it to Western Australian regiments in general, but it is really great to drool over those magnificent badges. Thanks for displaying them.

Regards,

Jogn
Old 10-03-09, 07:04 PM

Hi John,

Some of the RAAC badges are quite hard to find but many of them are still relatively easily obtainable.

If you decide you want to start collecting RAAC, I'm happy to assist.

Mick
Old 11-03-09, 11:36 PM

One of my goals with this guide is to also identify and document the exact period badges and patches were worn by various RAAC units. For example, some lugged badges from the 1950s were continued to be worn in the 1960s and even 1970s. So if anyone can assist me and provide me with information about with when various RAAC Badges (and also patches) were worn, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to know things like when various units started and stopped wearing battledress, greens etc, etc.

My aim is to produce a document with accurate detailed information on the RAAC and it's regiments that covers badges, patches, uniforms, headdress and other interesting items such as guidons with a little bit of history thrown in as well.

Mick
Old 20-03-09, 09:18 AM

Mick,

Congratulations on an excellent site. Superbly presented and very informative.

In answer to your request for information.

Battle dress was introduced in about 1950 or 1951. My father was certainly wearing it in 1952. It went out of service in the early 1990's. I was wearing it in 1988/89 but I can't be sure of the exact date it went out of service but I think it was around 1993 when the new service dress for soldiers was introduced.

As for the badges Post 1960. Cossum's delineation of badges as Post 1960 is incorrect in most instances and I think he has based his delineation around the date when the old infantry battalions were amalgamated into the six State Regiments. Thus his categorization of anodised and chrome badges being worn from that time is quite wrong.

In most instances the metal badges did not change to anodised, chrome or pin backs in the 1960's and metal badges were still issued throughout the 1970's and even the 1980's, except for SASR (late 1964 and they wore a lugged followed by a slidered badge) and the six State Regiments, whose new anodised badges were introduced over a few years post 1961 or 1962. The RWAR badge did not see the light of day until about 1965. Other than those, all other badges were either brass, white metal or bi-metal with lugs. I wore brass badges at RMC in the mid 1960's and in the RAR 1970-75 and my RAAC mates wore the frosted or white metal badges in the 1970's, all with lugs. I think pin fastenings came in with the State regiment anodised badges but were not in use in the rest of the Army.

Nor were the metal titles worn on the polyester uniform in the 1960's. They were introduced in about the mid 1970's. Prior to that we did not wear any titles on the polyester uniform except when going overseas, when the brass "Australia" with lugs was worn. These were worn either on a special narrow slide of polyester or more commonly the lugs were just squeezed around either side of the shoulder strap.

I am not sure when the chromed RAAC badge were first introduced but my recollection is this occurred in some ARES RAAC units in the 1970's. In the 1960's I only ever saw white metal badges being worn but, of course, I did not see all units.

Hope this helps.

Again, congratulations on an excellent site.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by Chrisr; 20-03-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 20-03-09, 09:44 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that information - it is very informative. I shall use it in my latest revision which I am working on now.

You do mention a very valid point about Cossum and his delineation date of 1960. I think a lot of collectors (myself included) over the years have taking his books as gospel and have group badges into the periods he has.

One of my tasks is to determine between what exact dates (or years) specific badges were worn (and its a monumental task) and I hope to do this with the RAAC Badges which for me is a logical place to start.

I also found some more interesting pictures to add as well.

Also, if anyone has pictures of RAAC head dress, uniforms or patches (and guidons!), I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Mick,

Congratulations on an excellent site. Superbly presented and very informative.

In answer to your request for information.

Battle dress was introduced in about 1950 or 1951. My father was certainly wearing it in 1952. It went out of service in the early 1990's. I was wearing it in 1988/89 but I can't be sure of the exact date it went out of service but I think it was around 1993 when the new service dress for soldiers was introduced.

As for the badges Post 1960. Cossum's delineation of badges as Post 1960 is incorrect in most instances and I think he has based his delineation around the date when the old infantry battalions were amalgamated into the six State Regiments. Thus his categorization of anodised and chrome badges being worn from that time is quite wrong.

In most instances the metal badges did not change to anodised, chrome or pin backs in the 1960's and metal badges were still issued throughout the 1970's and even the 1980's, except for SASR (late 1964 and they wore a lugged followed by a slidered badge) and the six State Regiments, whose new anodised badges were introduced over a few years post 1961 or 1962. The RWAR badge did not see the light of day until about 1965. Other than those, all other badges were either brass, white metal or bi-metal with lugs. I wore brass badges at RMC in the mid 1960's and in the RAR 1970-75 and my RAAC mates wore the frosted or white metal badges in the 1970's, all with lugs. I think pin fastenings came in with the State regiment anodised badges but were not in use in the rest of the Army.

Nor were the metal titles worn on the polyester uniform in the 1960's. They were introduced in about the mid 1970's. Prior to that we did not wear any titles on the polyester uniform except when going overseas, when the brass "Australia" with lugs was worn. These were worn either on a special narrow slide of polyester or more commonly the lugs were just squeezed around either side of the shoulder strap.

I am not sure when the chromed RAAC badge were first introduced but my recollection is this occurred in some ARES RAAC units in the 1970's. In the 1960's I only ever saw white metal badges being worn but, of course, I did not see all units.

Hope this helps.

Again, congratulations on an excellent site.

Cheers
Chris
Old 20-03-09, 10:41 PM

Well Mick here is a pic of a VIP wearing an Aussie cap badge.
Jo
http://www.australian-armour.com/IMGP7972.JPG

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 20-03-09, 10:48 PM

Thanks mate

I already know about it however - that's my website!

Mick
Old 20-03-09, 11:25 PM

Well Mick,you did such a good job, it's no wonder that people will steal your pics.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 16-04-09, 12:27 PM

Hi Mick,
I have dug up Australian Army Insignia 1903-1966 by Alfred N Festberg published 1967 and it has some information which might help date your RAAC badges.

According to him:

RAAC KC was introduced in 1949
RAAC QC was introduced in 1955 WM or WM silver plated

1st Armoured Regt KC Designed 1951 but not manufactured
1st Armoured Regiment QC Introduced in 1955

2nd Cavalry Regiment. Design still pending Military Board approval in 1966

3rd Cavalry Regiment. No design approved as at 1966.

1st RNSWL Pre WW II badge re-introduced in 1948
1st RNSWL (modified design) approved in 1966 and to be introduced in 1967. Super Pure Aluminium

2nd/14th QMI KC Approved with RAAC wording 1950 but not manufactured
2ns/14th QMI QC Approved Nov 1955

3rd/9th SAMR KC Approved 1949 but not manufactured
3rd/9th SAMR QC Approved 1954

4th/19th POWLH Approved 1949

8th/13th VMR KC Approved 1949 but not manufactured
8th/13th VMR QC Approved 1955

10th WAMI KC Approved 1949 and manufactured
10th WAMI QC Introduced 1955
10th LH QC Approved 1960 Black oxidised copper swan on matt silver plate

12th/16th HRL Approved 1949

No mention of the other RAAC units that existed 1948 -1960