British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-09, 09:10 PM

Question Grey Regiment... exotic fur??

Came across this photo in the book, "Foresters, The Canadian Quest for Peace" by Brian Brown. PIcture of the Grey Regiment Bugle Band, CEF period. I am wondering what the significance of the Corporal wearing the Leopard(?) fur is? (makes him look a little like Fred Flintstone!?) I am assuming that this was long before the era of "fake" fur and that, whatever it is, is the real thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GreyRegt.jpg (75.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 22-09-09, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, That image is from well into the 1920's. Maybe even late 1920's. The cap badge, though not dated by GO in Mazeas, was, from my research, approved around 1922. Unfortunately the Brown book is not a great history of the Grey & Simcoes and has many inaccuracies.
To your question, the leopard skins worn by drummers was real at that time. I am not sure when the practice stopped, but circumstances and political correctness were not at issue then.
Old 22-09-09, 09:30 PM

two more examples of bass drummers wearing the leopard skin.
Jo
http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/ph...peband1988.jpg

http://www.brownlee.com.au/Images/Ch...8/image009.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 22-09-09, 10:38 PM

Interesting topic for sure. I have this photo, in my collection, of the Irish Regiment of Canada Pipe Band. I often wondered about the leopard skin cover, it seems really out of place for an Irish Regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PipeBand.jpg (59.1 KB, 52 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 22-09-09, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Cliff, Piper Weir on the extreme left of the image, what is on his upper arm? A formation patch?
Old 22-09-09, 11:02 PM

Hmm, didn't realize that this was a common practice!?

SO what is the origin? Cliff, it doesn't seem out of place for just an Irish Regiment, but ALL regiments.

I can't say it is a very flattering look when you have a perfectly good uniform to wear?
Old 23-09-09, 02:06 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

All base drummers wore these skins at one time ,every once in a while you will see one worn now but not very often. I think Mount Forest pipe band still have one but since the old fellow died no one wears it.. Bill do you mean Malcolm Weir? If you do he was my Supervisor in the post Office & I have his Seaforth book (pipe music of course) a great fellow & liked his toddy. I guess that patch on his shoulder would be the 5th Div.on't recall when the 5th was formed but the Irish went overseas in October of 42.

Last edited by boots and saddles; 23-09-09 at 02:52 AM.
Old 23-09-09, 02:54 AM

In case anyone wants to know WHY drummers dress like cavemen sometimes... tradition explained.
Old 23-09-09, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Cliff, Piper Weir on the extreme left of the image, what is on his upper arm? A formation patch?
Good eyes Bill, It appears to me to be a 4th Div formation patch. I will have to look at the original to be certain. The size, shape and position fit with this. The time period of this photo, and the contrast colour between the patch and the tunic would lead me to believe the patch is that of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division.

Old 23-09-09, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
All base drummers wore these skins at one time ,every once in a while you will see one worn now but not very often. I think Mount Forest pipe band still have one but since the old fellow died no one wears it.. Bill do you mean Malcolm Weir? If you do he was my Supervisor in the post Office & I have his Seaforth book (pipe music of course) a great fellow & liked his toddy. I guess that patch on his shoulder would be the 5th Div.on't recall when the 5th was formed but the Irish went overseas in October of 42.
Yes that is Malcolm Weir in the photo.

Old 23-09-09, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Bill M. Cliff, that would be interesting. If the Irish were patched as early as the indicated date from the image, it indicates an earlier issue of the 4 CAD patch than I was aware. The Irish were moved to 5 CAD on January 1, 1943, if I am interpreting the research correctly. Always learning something on the Forum.
Old 23-09-09, 08:10 PM

Bill, the Irish were in Mulgrave from April to October 1942. This is the closest I am able to date the photo. You are correct that the Irish Joined the 5th Div January 1943 in the UK.

Old 03-03-13, 10:08 PM

Pylon1357
Ref your post of 22-09-09, do you have any information about Pipe Majors of the Irish Regiment of Canada?
Aad
Old 03-03-13, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Pylon1357
Ref your post of 22-09-09, do you have any information about Pipe Majors of the Irish Regiment of Canada?
Aad
Check out this site. Here's the link to the Irish Regiment of Canada in particular: http://pipesforfreedom.com/webtxt/05..._OF_CANADA.htm

Tags
bugle band, formation patch, fur, grey & simcoe foresters, irish regiment, leopard skin, musician uniform