British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-09, 12:40 AM

Default Out of whose fertile imagination?

A Canadian SAS?

Sand casting and hairs on my neck standing to rigid attention aside, has there ever been such a badge-animal for the Canadian Special Air Service in any legitimate form? Never seen one, never heard of one, never heard of anyone seeing one. I am open to enlightenment.
Old 09-05-09, 01:57 AM

David, you ask.....<<has there ever been such a badge-animal for the Canadian Special Air Service in any legitimate form>> and my answer is a big fat NO. Any Canadian collector with a modicum of knowledge on this subject would be rolling on the floor (either laughing or crying, it depends) upon seeing something like that.This seller is hoping that somebody gullible or lacking basic knowledge will jump on this badly-made, spurious item thinking that he's getting "one of a kind and very rare badge". Also, he's referring,in his description, to Captain Guy D'Artois as a member of OSS, he never was OSS but, was with SOE as was his wife.
Some people will go to great length to make a quick buck, no matter how.In his last paragraph he says and I quote.... << I take pride in bringing The Uncommon, The Hard to Find, The Unusual and often The Rare >> well this one badge sure meets all of the above.
That was my rant of the week.
Jo
*A photograph of Captain D'artois with his wife Sonia Butt.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...87kisktrni29v1

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 09-05-09 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-05-09, 02:25 AM

Thanks for the rant, Jo. I had my tongue firmly bitten when I asked the question, but I wanted to at least pretend to be open-minded and non-judgmental. Saved all my sarcasm for the 'die, die, who's got the die' thread
Old 09-05-09, 05:33 AM
L&BH

Jo, I'd add that the only true thing in his description is "they are extremely hard to come by"...you bet it is!!! Can't stop laughing (and crying)!
Old 09-05-09, 11:50 AM

Not wanting to hijack this thread but, as a badge collector, that is an extremely interesting photo of Capt D'artois. In particular, the wearing of the FSSF Canada collars on his service dress tunic about the 1st Para Bn collars. Has anyone seen this before? We have a FSSF Canadian officer's tunic in The Army Musueum but it is the American tunic with American rank and the FSSF Canadas and crossed arrows as collars. To me, this means that this should not be Capt D'artois's FSSF tunic (or a variation there of) in this picture. Very interesting.
Old 09-05-09, 12:16 PM

Default Canadian SAS

Ref Canadian SAS. Back in the early 1980s, a dealer (I believe in Calgary) used to publish a newspaper format list. I remember he had made up all sorts of "Canadian SAS" badges -cap, shoulder, wings, patches. These are now turning up occasionally. All fantasy pieces.
Phil
Old 09-05-09, 01:25 PM

Thanks to David and Phil (LBHY). As David is writing,it is good to be open-minded and non-judgmental and, civilized in this Forum BUT, sometimes when our hobby is "invaded" by such items I feel some of us should speak out and, always in a civilized manner and with some well-chosen words, explain why a particular item is a total fraud/fake/copy, as some have already done before on this Forum.

This is for 8Hussar,another one for you to figure out.As for the one in the museum...can't help you there,sorry.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...jl6igmh676uaj3

And for Phillip H. the worst part of that seller's items is that some are probably in someone's collection and proudly displayed. I just hope someone will be kind enough to point out to the owner that those badges were the fruits of one's imagination and greed.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 12-05-09, 01:21 AM

Default Canadian SAS badges

Please see my thread on this topic about three down from this one.
Wyn

Last edited by Bill A; 12-05-09 at 01:52 AM.