British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-10, 01:21 PM

as promised, hope it is legible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG sss badge, QMS, cape_0005qms.jpg (68.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 16-10-10, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
as promised, hope it is legible
Brilliant Grumpy, thank you so much.
Old 16-10-10, 11:38 PM

Just to add my ten penny into the conversation.......... I believe the WO1 Badge with a wreath around it originated as a RLC (RAOC and earlier - When the British Army was in South Africa?) Conductor badge. It has been in recent years, been introduced as a CRSM badge. However, the title (appointment) can differ from Regt to Corps....... For intstance in the APTC the senior WO1 is known as the Corps Regimental Sergeant Major or CRSM, but if you take the Armoured Corps for another example - they refer to their senior WO1, as the Corps Sergeant Major or CSM. So to conclude, it differs depending on what capbadge it is...... I hope to have been of help.

Last edited by APTC; 16-10-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 17-10-10, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APTC View Post
Just to add my ten penny into the conversation.......... I believe the WO1 Badge with a wreath around it originated as a RLC (RAOC and earlier - When the British Army was in South Africa?) Conductor badge.
Yes it did - you must have missed it in all the detail of post 11. See the first sentence, which refers to Conductor, which was the first ever warrant officer in the British Army.
Old 18-10-10, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Yes it did - you must have missed it in all the detail of post 11. See the first sentence, which refers to Conductor, which was the first ever warrant officer in the British Army.
Thank you for pointing that out - I have now read post 11. I was speaking from personal experience, as an ex RLC soldier, I have served with a couple of WO1 (Conductors).

Regards.
Old 18-10-10, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
There could be and often was a third WO in the battalion before the 4-company re-organisation and that was the unit's Schoolmaster, although I am unclear when this appointment ceased.
I have just woken up to why I neglected the schooly. Obvious: he was indeed a WO but did not wear a rank badge, according to Clothing Regs.

Incidentally, they appear to be very inconspicuous in group photos pre-Great War ........ both at Home, and Overseas. Perhaps only within the classroom were they a power in the land.
Old 18-10-10, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I have just woken up to why I neglected the schooly. Obvious: he was indeed a WO but did not wear a rank badge, according to Clothing Regs.

Incidentally, they appear to be very inconspicuous in group photos pre-Great War ........ both at Home, and Overseas. Perhaps only within the classroom were they a power in the land.
Yes, I think you are right, I suspect they were treated rather like the Padre - with us but not of us.
Old 08-06-15, 08:09 AM

Default Intelligence Corps - Corps Regimental Sergeant Major

This year the Intelligence Corps is celebrating the 75th anniversary of its reformation in July 1940. Among the events a parade to mark the Freedom of Ashford took place yesterday 7 June 2015.

I took the opportunity to photograph the badge of rank of the Corps Regimental Sergeant Major (CRSM) worn on Service Dress (previously called FAD).

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRSM INT CORPS.jpg (112.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-06-15, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Joihn,

So the rank would be Corps Sergeant Major?

John
NO , The rank is WO1 and the appointment is Corps Artificer Sergeant Major CASM

I'm not 100% sure but I think we still have Corps RSM for the military side of things and the CASM deals with the technical side.

Last edited by REMEVMBEA1; 08-06-15 at 12:43 PM.