British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-15, 09:37 AM

If you don't like seeing these things, why open a thread with the title "German Skull Badge"?

There are other threads for other non-commonwealth countries.
Old 29-09-15, 09:56 AM

Personally I'd approach forum moderators with any suggestion that such items shouldn't feature In " Unknown Insignia" rather than get angry and swear in print.
I feel that sort of behaviour is too close to that of some people on forums such as WAF who sometimes behave like a pack of rats, savaging someone they believe has differemt views to themselves.
Moderators view is good enough for me, that's about as far as I go with wanting to impose my views on badge collectors.
Old 29-09-15, 10:57 AM

Here is a picture of the badge I have, this one was taken of a xx cap in september 1944 by my father (hence the missing prongs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Quite right Simon, whilst the badge under discussion here is clearly a copy, the originals were worn by complete and utter degenerates, actually "German sh*t" just about sums it up rather well.
couldn't agree more........

regards,

Albert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xx skull.jpg (41.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 29-09-15, 11:38 AM

Firstly let me apologise for starting this thread, I hadn't twigged that the forum wasn't for German badges, I was shown it by a friend and thought it was just a badge collecting forum, I hadn't given the title too much thought. Lesson learned and if I ever come across any other German badges I won't post anything like this again.

This was one of a number of badges I bought as a teenager quite a number of years ago and has been "lost" in the loft for over 20 plus years. As I know pretty much nothing about military badges I wanted to double check I wasn't about to get rid of something of historical interest, regardless of which side it was worn by. Quite clearly I'm not.

Thank you again to those people who helped me at the start of this thread.
Old 29-09-15, 11:50 AM

No need to apologise, you collect what you like, there are areas of the forum for posting "foreign" badges.
Credit for not responding in kind to rude comments and don't let yourself be intimidated.
Old 29-09-15, 11:53 AM

Forgot to add, queries re. that kind of stuff are best addressed on the WAF forum, but some strange and fiery forum fascists there.
Old 29-09-15, 12:24 PM

Mike's forum- If he is OK with this that's fine by me. At the end of the day he is the referee and we have a forum section for this sort of badge. No one should be talked down to on this forum-we should be better than that. Look at a badge as a badge. Regards, Paul.
Old 29-09-15, 01:04 PM

Hello Albert, hope all is well with you and yours,
Given that your own family had to put up with wretched zes en een kwart for those awful years, I certainly would not begrudge you the odd trophy or two these days, but, certainly, for me at least, had I actually been in the country back in those days, I know, I honestly would have been counting down to Bijltjesdag, very glad I was not there.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by appie_b View Post
Here is a picture of the badge I have, this one was taken of a xx cap in september 1944 by my father (hence the missing prongs)

couldn't agree more........

regards,

Albert
Old 29-09-15, 02:34 PM

Hi Frank,

This is just one of the many things I have which tell the story of my family during the war, I do not have this one on display but once in while I look at it and think about the little boy who stole this badges and hid it under the floorboards till the end of the war out of fear that the Germans would come and arrest him.

I am not a collector of german militaria, and have little interest in it, and often wonder why some people collect and display it, I think it should be possible to ask the odd question about a german badge on this forum.

Regards,

Albert.
Old 29-09-15, 03:52 PM

Not everyone who picks up the odd or collects german items is a hardened Nazi and I doubt that the British empire was built on being nice to those people who's counties we took under our protection, my mum was invited to a friends wedding In malaysia in the 70's and stayed with his family, his grandfather lived there and would have nothing to do with my mum being English and refused to be in the same room as her.
Andy
Old 29-09-15, 04:50 PM

Well said, Andy. Every nation has ugly chapters in its history and courtesy, while easy to achieve, seems a much debased courtesy in this day and age.
Old 29-09-15, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Forgot to add, queries re. that kind of stuff are best addressed on the WAF forum, but some strange and fiery forum fascists there.
Thanks Leigh but I think I'll steer clear of that. If you look at the badges I was asking about in my original request for help you can see this is the only German badge I have and judging from how bad a copy it appears to be I think it shows that isn't exactly what I'm into.

By the way Albert's story sounds like an absolutely fascinating one and proves as Andy says that not everyone who has the odd German item has to be a hardened nazi (or even slightly of that mindset).

Michael

Last edited by Shiny; 29-09-15 at 09:18 PM.
Old 30-09-15, 01:16 PM

Hello Albert
good Overhoff skull !
pity for the prongs...
cordially
Didier

Tags
german, skull