British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-15, 02:31 PM

Default U sanctioned staybrute

Guys,
I was told that this was made as an intended Glosters/ Hampshires?
Never happened and so badge never used.
Is this a correct description and if so, any idea to its scarcity and value would be appreciated as I will be selling this ( it's not SAS)
Regards
Jonimage.jpg
Old 01-05-15, 02:32 PM

Default Rear pic

image.jpg
Old 01-05-15, 02:38 PM

Do a "completed listings" search on eBay and you will see what they have been selling for. On that basis you can make a valued judgement as to its worth. It is a good way of gauging the market.

Dave.
Old 01-05-15, 02:40 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Do a "completed listings" search on eBay and you will see what they have been selling for. On that basis you can make a valued judgement as to its worth. It is a good way of gauging the market.

Dave.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...dmd=1&_ipg=200

Andy
Old 01-05-15, 04:01 PM

The proposed amalgamation never took place,stranglely the badge can be found with a number of different makers stamps on the slider.
Shoulder titles "RRGH" were produced too.
I believe it was intended that the regt would wear Hamps rose collar badges.

Chris Cuniffe has various makers badges on his site.
Old 01-05-15, 04:43 PM

Default Thanks gentlemen

Hi Dave,
I would have normally mate but didn't know what it was.
Thanks for IDing gentlemen
Regards
Jon
Old 01-05-15, 06:42 PM

I have a couple of them, I don't think they're rare as such.
I shared a barrack room at Ebrington Bks for a short time in 1979 with a R Sig's guy who showed me his fathers (Glosters) RRGH cap badge, issued to the troops but then never worn.
Old 01-05-15, 08:39 PM

The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire - planned as the amalgamation of the Gloucestershire Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment. This was announced in July 1968 to be implemented in September 1970, but was cancelled in the autumn of that year. Badge was produced in a large quantity in readiness for amalgamation, and was indeed issued but never worn - Hagwalther should be able to tell you how many?

The two regiments were subsequently amalgamated with others to form the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment and the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)

As listed in CCN 1973 Section CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QGHR.JPG (13.3 KB, 16 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 02-05-15 at 12:54 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-05-15, 10:06 PM

In addition to my previous post,buttons also produced. Gold anodised with the cap badge embossed on them.
Old 02-05-15, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire - planned as the amalgamation of the Gloucestershire Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment. This was announced in July 1968 to be implemented in September 1970, but was cancelled in the autumn of that year. Badge was produced in a large quantity in readiness for amalgamation, and was indeed issued but never worn - Hagwater should be able to tell you how many?

The two regiments were subsequently amalgamated with others to form the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment and the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)

As listed in CCN 1973 Section CB
Thanks Mike,

An interesting badge, as Mike states, recorded in the CCN of 1973. There also pattern cards with a sealing date of 14th April 1970 together with a DOWLER. BIRMINGHAM marked badge attached.

Here is some other info that I published in my book on this badge:

1. The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire was never formed although the front cap badge was bulk manufactured for a proposed initial issue.
2. At the 193rd Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 22nd July 1969, the Committee decided to approve, subject to final approval by the Sovereign, the facings and insignia of the proposed regiment, The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire: Badge, Cap; sketch design No. 0.2805, subject to approval of the Colonel of Regiment; soldiers, new design; Metal, Regimental, front cap badge; this badge to replace the following:
a) Badge, Cap; Wessex Brigade, (CB 8084).
b) Badge, Organisation; The Gloucestershire Regiment, A/A, Cap, Front, (CB 8455-99-973-9417).
c) Badge, Organisation; The Royal Hampshire Regiment, A/A, Cap, (CB 8455-99-973-9441).
3. At the 197th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 25th February 1970, the Committee decided to approve the finished samples of cap badges for The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire: soldiers; gold and silver A/A; sketch design No. 0.2805.

Some info on the rear badge:

1. The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire was never formed although the regiment was authorised to wear the cap badge of The Gloucestershire Regiment [Back Badge] [Silver].
2. At the 194th Meeting of the Army Dress Committee, held on 16th September 1969, the Committee decided to approve the wearing by soldiers of The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire and Hampshire of a head-dress embellishment; The Gloucestershire Regiment A/A cap, back in silver, to replace Badge, Organisation, The Gloucestershire Regiment, A/A cap, back in gold (CB 8455-99-973-9416), formerly worn by soldiers of The Gloucestershire Regiment. This decision was subsequently approved by the Honours and Dress Committee, and the Colonel of Regiment Designate.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-05-15, 05:16 AM

Hi Guys,

A bit more info.

NSN was 8455-99-135-1649

Pattern No. was 20216

Regards

Chris
Old 02-05-15, 06:24 AM

Thank you gentlemen
Interesting that so much time and effort went into then easing amd manufacture of these pieces for the idea of the unit to be pulled
Have a good weekend
Jon