British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-16, 01:19 PM

Default Best way to display patches/cloth badges

Hi All

Have used the search function but cannot seem to find any information on this subject.

I would like to mount some cloth insignia/patches that I have been given. I would like to frame them for display on a wall. What is the best way to mount them in order to do this?

Most of the advice I have read on this site deals with mounting hat badges/metal insignia for display, nothing for cloth.

Any advice would be most appreciated and gratefully received (As always)

Regards
Old 03-07-16, 02:52 PM

Hello,

If no one else is going to respond here are my ideas.

I use self adhesive fablon type material ( which I use as a backing to my displays of metal badges) on the back of cloth badges

If a piece is cut to size and stuck on the back of a cloth badge, as the material is impervious it can be glued to a display board with Pritt or a similar adhesive. The Pritt wont go through to the cloth badge itself and when required the fablon material can be peeled off the cloth badge leaving no damage.

Please don't use any non water soluble glue or Bluetac on the back of cloth badges, it tends to stay there forever.

( The Fablon also stops further fraying on cloth badges where this has already begun )

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0188.jpg (68.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2916.jpg (51.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2917.jpg (84.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2918.jpg (80.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2922.jpg (73.3 KB, 128 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 03-07-16 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-07-16, 02:58 PM

Or the John Waring preferred method - mounted like a framed picture - time consuming but quite neat (unlike my writing!):
10 AA Div.01.jpg10 AA Div.02.jpg
Old 03-07-16, 03:14 PM

Mike, the tape looks like Sellotape/Scotch tape which is horrible. The adhesive yellows after a few years (as can be seen in the photo) and leaches into the fabric, the tape carrier becomes brittle and falls off. Yuk!

David
Old 03-07-16, 03:29 PM

You could Try one of these if you're going to mount them on fabric or card.

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatal...g_Notions.html
Old 03-07-16, 03:53 PM

Default Fastening Cloth Insignia in frames

Hello L1A1,
I've used Scotch masking tape with reasonable success. First covering a piece of acid-free illustration board in red felt to fit the intended frame. Fastening the felt folded over on the back of the illustration with the same tape. Arrange all the insignia the way you want it, then one at a time, behind each piece's back, and fasten a couple of little rolls of tape (sticky side out), and affix to the felt. Obviously making sure that the tape doesn't show. Suffices labor intensive! Place frame with glass over the completed arrangement, carefully holding from the underside, turn the whole assembly over. Fit a piece of corrugated backing in the frame, and fasten with push type glazier points at reasonably close intervals. For the end result see;http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2015/0...militaria.html . Hope this is of assistance.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 05-07-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 05:12 PM

You could try a single cotton stitch in each corner of the patch to the backing fabric, after all, they were meant to be stitched in place...

Keith
Old 03-07-16, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Mike, the tape looks like Sellotape/Scotch tape which is horrible. The adhesive yellows after a few years (as can be seen in the photo) and leaches into the fabric, the tape carrier becomes brittle and falls off. Yuk!

David
True, but it's too late to change my ways now! Mike
Old 04-07-16, 06:20 AM

I am led to believe that if you attach cloth badges to cardboard with double sided tape, as I have done in a big way, the acid in the cardboard eventually leaches out and discolours the badge. I have a big job doing it all again. What I am currently using is either foamboard or coreflute which are available in hardware shops.
Old 04-07-16, 06:21 AM

Ok, here's my 5c worth. The way I did my sole display with cloth badges was quite time consuming, but then it's meant to stay for many years so was worth the effort IMHO...
I sewed a length of thin wire to the upper corners/edges of each badge. I then bent the wire over and passed it through small holes in the backing card and secured them at the back.
This way leaves the badges in good condition and there is no risk of damage by adhesives. The badges were meant to be sewn anyway, so a few stitches will make no difference!
I don't have any photos of the method but here is the display.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07896.jpg (66.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-07-16, 07:53 AM

Keith,

I use the same method. It works well.

regards

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
You could try a single cotton stitch in each corner of the patch to the backing fabric, after all, they were meant to be stitched in place...

Keith
Old 04-07-16, 03:04 PM

Kingsley, you're correct. The acid in most cardboard will do that as it's highly acidic (pH 4 - 5, or maybe even 3). Your use of the fluted material, which is known as Coroplast or Cor-X here in North America is a better choice as it is made of polypropylene. Other materials such as Foam-Core are also good.

David
Old 04-07-16, 03:16 PM

I use picture framing board, it is acid free and there is a huge choice of backing colours to suit any theme!
Also, it is nice and stiff so it doesn't sag.
Old 04-07-16, 03:29 PM

Default Canadian Conservation Institute

Check here: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1454000204712

This is a world recognized organization on the care and display of historic objects. It is used by many, many museums world wide. The use of sticky tape (sellotape, masking tape, scotch tape, etc.) is the worst idea ever!

I am always amazed at collectors who spend a fortune purchasing their collections, and hours researching their items, but won't spend a few dollars to conserve or display their collection safely.
Old 04-07-16, 11:54 PM

I used to work there, so I know!
David