British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-14, 03:35 PM

Default Manchester Regiment

Gentlemen,
Just how scarce a badge is the Manchester Regt in Anodised form and what are the dates that it was actually in wear by the regiment?
Kind regards to you all,
Frank
Old 18-01-14, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

£40 scarce,
Old 18-01-14, 04:38 PM

Not a cheap one then?
Having said that I know many command a far higher price, anybody any ideas on the dates it was actually being worn?

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 18-01-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 18-01-14, 05:04 PM

Strangely, according to K and K vol 2 , the anodised badge was sealed in 1964 but the regulars ceased wearing it on amalgamation with the Kings in 1958.

The Manchester Territorials wore it until around 1969.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-01-14, 05:05 PM

Which maker is it Frank,the Grove MFG example with metal slider usually fetches a slightly higher price.Id say £50 but all depends on the who bids on it.
Old 18-01-14, 05:09 PM

Hell Peter,
Very many thanks that is the thing that always gets me about sealed pattern dates, anyway it certainly makes sense and was the particular information that I wanted, any idea when they went from metal to anodised, was thinking 1953 perhaps?
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Strangely, according to K and K vol 2 , the anodised badge was sealed in 1964 but the regulars ceased wearing it on amalgamation with the Kings in 1958.

The Manchester Territorials wore it until around 1969.

P.B.
Old 18-01-14, 05:12 PM

Hello Mike,
I don't actually have one yet!
But, I do like the Manchester's, mainly because of the 1st Battalions defence of Ladysmith on the 6th of January 1900!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Which maker is it Frank,the Grove MFG example with metal slider usually fetches a slightly higher price.Id say £50 but all depends on the who bids on it.
Old 18-01-14, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hell Peter,
Very many thanks that is the thing that always gets me about sealed pattern dates, anyway it certainly makes sense and was the particular information that I wanted, any idea when they went from metal to anodised, was thinking 1953 perhaps?
Kind regards Frank
A decade later. It is not that uncommon for a/a infantry badges to have mid-60s dates and were worn by TA and Cadets only.
Old 18-01-14, 05:43 PM

Hello Alan,
Are you saying that the 1st battalion never actually wore the anodised badge?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
A decade later. It is not that uncommon for a/a infantry badges to have mid-60s dates and were worn by TA and Cadets only.
Old 18-01-14, 05:51 PM

Alan ,
It may of course be incorrect but this article from the "White Horse and Fleur de Lys " magazine of Autumn 1974 suggests 1957 for the issue of the anodised badge.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2021.jpg (65.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2022.jpg (75.5 KB, 24 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 18-01-14, 05:59 PM

Hello Peter,
That is very helpful, so they would seem to have worn the white metal badge for quite some time and I assume in Malaya too.
Kind regards again Frank

Quote:
Alan ,
It may of course be incorrect but this article from the "White Horse and Fleur de Lys " magazine of Autumn 1974 suggests 1957 for the issue of the anodised badge.

P.B.
Old 18-01-14, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alan ,

P.B.
Peter,

If the 1957 date was right why chrome the TA's badges in badges in 1958? Why give the Regulars a/a badges and them deny them to the TA? Easier to give the TA a/a rather than chrome their metal badges?

Alan
Old 18-01-14, 06:52 PM

Gentlemen,
Interestingly, volume 2 of K and K also mentions the badges of the 8th and 9th Battalions being chrome plated in 1959, this cannot be just a myth?
Old 18-01-14, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Without knowing where Kipling got his info from it is impossible to verify the story. They may have read the same article. It's quite possible for a TA Bn to have chromed badges for the parade - but why bother if there are several hundred a/a badges on the shelves?
Old 18-01-14, 07:30 PM

I understand as another example (and from their Curator who was a member of the regiment ) that the Liverpool Scottish were sent anodised badges but refused to change from the metal ones being worn, the anodised ones being given to the Cadets.

Peter