British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-17, 01:59 PM

Default Arabic Military Word Lists

The latest addition to my collection of Arabic Military Dictionaries and Word Lists, from the Aden Protectorate Levies.

The collection includes an Arab Legion English/Arabic dictionary from the Library of Congress and my own Union Defence Force word list that I carried in the breast pocket of my shirt during my tour with the Sultan of Oman's Armed Forces. And just for fun a Soviet Navy Russian/Arabic word list!

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APL Mil Terms.JPG (104.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Collection.jpg (87.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-10-17, 03:16 PM

Question for you Eddie. Knowing there is "literal arabic" spoken and different dialects spoken in the different middle-eastern countries.....how did you manage to speak the local linguo with the right accent....????

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-10-17, 07:46 AM

Looks very handy Eddie.

I'm just about to start work in the UAE so am trying to learn a little Arabic.

Paul
Old 13-10-17, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Question for you Eddie. Knowing there is "literal arabic" spoken and different dialects spoken in the different middle-eastern countries.....how did you manage to speak the local linguo with the right accent....????

Jo
Arabic is a very fluid language which is spoken between Malaya and Morocco and many other places in-between. Lots of dialects and accents.

What is taught in western language schools is Modern Standard Arabic. My experience is that MSA is incomprehensible to most native Arabs. Educated people may well understand it but don't use it.

To get the pronunciations right you need to practice with a local. The problem is that they will also want to practice the English with you. However the reaction you get when you master even a few phrases is worth all the effort because people will love you for it!

An example; the word for army varies across Arabia, in one place its Jaysh with a sof(ish) J, in another its Gaysh with a guttural G.

But its all good fun - unless you are struggling to say "Don't shoot I'm a friend" on a pitch black night!

Eddie
Old 13-10-17, 11:24 AM

Very interesting post Eddie, thank you very much.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-10-17, 09:30 PM

Thanks Eddie very helpful.

Paul
Old 14-10-17, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
But its all good fun - unless you are struggling to say "Don't shoot I'm a friend" on a pitch black night!
In Omani colloquial that would be "la ramee ana sidiq", but in MSA it might be "la tutliq alnaar 'ana sadiq" ... so you'd better check first which version the sentry speaks ... hadn't you! Remembering that even on exercise the sentries had a live round up the spout.

Better still try to remember the password. Which the Omanis founds so difficult that we used a number code. So if tonight's code is 6 and the sentry taps his magazine twice you tap yours four times. Which was fine with the gunners who could all add up but I am not so sure about the infantry.

Or you could try "'ana 'astaslim" which means I surrender.