British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-08, 02:00 PM

Default Malaya / Borneo formation patches

Hi guys,
I am trying to find out if the SAS wore any (special) formation patches during the emergency in Borneo (I believe 1962). Could somebody tell me?
During the Malayan emergency they wore the patches with kris (see pic for my variations on display). I am BTW still looking for other variations.
Cheers,
Pieter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5183.jpg (63.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 03-08-08, 05:14 PM

G’day Pieter

By chance I have just started watching at documentary on the SAS and it shows an original piece of film of an SAS officer wearing the kris shoulder flash.

John
Old 03-08-08, 05:55 PM
Badge Guru

Try the book "The Jungle Frontier" - Peter Dickens full of SAS photographs with out the censorship.

There is a group pic of 1 Troop 22nd and they wear no insignia on the shirt other than the wings on right arm above the stripes.

Of the pictures of the jungle patrols no insignia is being worn. Its what one would expect.
Old 15-08-08, 09:37 AM

thanks for replying guys!
Cheers,
Pieter
Old 15-08-08, 06:43 PM

Just to confirm mate. NO divisional insignia was issued at ground level for the Borneo Campaign.

Nice display set up!
Mike
Old 20-06-09, 01:04 PM

Hi very nice display of ` kris ` signs thanks for showing , i think this is a very underrated sign from a collector point of view , i presume because it post 1945 ,Pieter , with respect are you aware this sign was locally manufactured in wire bullion on cloth for that period ? its rare but does turn up now and again .
hope this helps ,regards,Nemo
Old 24-06-09, 08:45 PM

Default KRIS being worn

Hi Guys
thought this pic of a D Sqn member may be of interest.
Guys face amended by me for obvious reasons as he is still alive.Dont think it affects the relevant detail.
KRIS.jpg

FARELF Malaya.jpg
Thought the FARELF with MALAYA underneath was also relevant.
regard
Jon
Old 25-06-09, 12:40 AM

Superb ,thank you very much for showing ,Nemo.
Old 26-06-09, 10:02 AM

The ones with MALAYA underneath were private purchase ones not official. I have a nice bullion pair.

I concur with the Bornoe insignia thread. I have looked at NZSAS photos and no insignia was worn in country - only when they were in NZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Hi Guys
thought this pic of a D Sqn member may be of interest.
Guys face amended by me for obvious reasons as he is still alive.Dont think it affects the relevant detail.
Attachment 15148

Attachment 15149
Thought the FARELF with MALAYA underneath was also relevant.
regard
Jon
Old 04-07-09, 05:48 PM

Further to the details already supplied i would like to add this ,

`at the Nee soon transit camp ,Singapore , in the early 1950`s a small village of shops and bars existed by the main gate.Several sold tailored uniforms of an exotic nature for purchase by men returning to the UK.
Super fine battledress lined with silk , all the current formation signs were available made from either silk or wire bullion many of the badges AND CLOTH SHOULDER TITLES were manufactured with the word MALAYA in the design `

( information supplied by Mike Chappell military author and illustrator )

I found this snippet very interesting , does any one have period photos that were taken in Malaya or as stated above were these badges and titles only worn on the trip back to the UK ? .
Would be very interested to here any ones opinions ,regards ,Nemo.

Last edited by NEMO; 04-07-09 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 07:26 PM

Default Malaya/Borneo

I think that the info. on troops returning from the Far East put up these Unofficial badges to impress the folks at home. These unofficial badges even turn up on Bosleys site and fetch good money RASC FARELF, R. Signals FARELF, etc.
Just recently on ebay a printed badge for the Border Scouts and a shoulder title have turned up. These struck a chord with me because at a show last year, having my badges on display, a man came up and looked at the SAS badges and said "You havnt got one I had in Borneo" He described it as a Toucan on a blue background. Turing a further chat it turned out he was ex SAS his wife confirmed this. Is there anyone here that can confirm this. John,
Old 04-07-09, 07:29 PM

Default Malaya/Borneo

I think that the info. on troops returning from the Far East put up these Unofficial badges to impress the folks at home. These unofficial badges even turn up on Bosleys site and fetch good money RASC FARELF, R. Signals FARELF, etc.
Just recently on ebay a printed badge for the Border Scouts and a shoulder title have turned up. These struck a chord with me because at a show last year, having my badges on display, a man came up and looked at the SAS badges and said "You havnt got one I had in Borneo" He described it as a Toucan on a blue background. During a further chat it turned out he was ex SAS his wife confirmed this. Is there anyone here that can confirm this badge was unofficially worn by troops other than the Border Scouts themselves John,
p.s. top two badges left and right as an example of "Posh" badges, R.A. Malaya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cloth badge collection 027.jpg (70.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-07-09, 07:48 PM

I have added some insignia to my album from a SAS man who served with the Border Scouts guys. Not mine but the best I have seen. Woth a visit.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=235

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
Just recently on ebay a printed badge for the Border Scouts and a shoulder title have turned up. These struck a chord with me because at a show last year, having my badges on display, a man came up and looked at the SAS badges and said "You havnt got one I had in Borneo" He described it as a Toucan on a blue background. During a further chat it turned out he was ex SAS his wife confirmed this. Is there anyone here that can confirm this badge was unofficially worn by troops other than the Border Scouts themselves John,
p.s. top two badges left and right as an example of "Posh" badges, R.A. Malaya
Old 05-07-09, 07:42 AM

The attached is from an article by Jim McDonald in Crown Imperial magazine of Spring 1993.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BS1.jpg (50.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg BS2.jpg (21.4 KB, 25 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-07-09, 07:49 AM

so did they wear a Malaya Police Cap Badge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
The attached is from an article by Jim McDonald in Crown Imperial magazine of Spring 1993.

P.B.

Tags
borneo, formation, malaya, sas