British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-20, 05:27 PM

Default Royal Anglian Regiment '60s Beret Badge Backing

Hi All,

I'm interested in getting a definitive answer on Royal Anglian Regiment beret badge backings soon after its formation. I'm familiar with the later drab beret with black tombstone backing but I'm intrigued by photos of men of the regiment in South Arabia in the mid to late '60s, particularly the photo below, amongst others, which seem to show an oblong/square, possibly in dark green.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205189877

Is this perhaps a carry over from units transferred from the Forester Brigade or am I over-thinking this? Any help/advice much appreciated.

Many thanks
Old 15-12-20, 07:10 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Hi

That's a great photo. Here's some info from a R ANGLIAN site: https://www.vikingveterans.com/regimental-dress/

The khaki beret in its present form was first adopted during the Second World War. Nobody wore a beret (except the RTC) before 1940, but most of the Army went into khaki serge berets and later the standard dark blue beret during the war. The 1st Battalion, The Royal Norfolk Regiment joined 24th Guards Independent Brigade Group under “Boy” Browning in 1942; the Guards Officers wore a khaki beret and the 1st Battalion adopted it at the time, adding the distinctive black patch. The beret went out of use after the war but was readopted in 1960, and has continued in use ever since. It was adopted by the rest of the Royal Anglian Regiment in 1970 and the wearing of it extended to Warrant Officers. The Regiment complete went into khaki berets in 1976. The black patch behind the badge commemorates the burial of Sir John Moore at Corruna in 1709 by Officers and men of the 9th Foot, the rearguard of the withdrawing British expeditionary force.
Old 15-12-20, 08:20 PM

Could it be the brigade badge ?
There is some sort of square or oblong patch definitely. It doesnt look like a black tombstone though.

Last edited by Mike H; 15-12-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 15-12-20, 08:58 PM

If the IWM is correct on date then it's likely the 4th Battalion Royal Anglian. So as was mentioned they could well be in their old berets rather than Royal Anglian ones.
Old 15-12-20, 09:12 PM

If I remember correctly weren’t the regiments merged to form Royal Anglian while in Aden ?

Gerard
Old 16-12-20, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
If I remember correctly weren’t the regiments merged to form Royal Anglian while in Aden ?

Gerard
That would be east anglian brigade
Old 16-12-20, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
That would be east anglian brigade
Ah that’s it, thanks

Gerard
Old 16-12-20, 09:19 AM

Default 4 R ANGLIAN

The soldiers are from the 4th (Leicestershire) Battalion of the Royal Anglian Regiment (formed in September 1964). This photo of CSgt Davis BEM is from the final Autumn 1964 issue of The Green Tiger the journal of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment. The CSgt is clearly wearing a (green?) cloth backing to his Royal Anglian cap badge. Presumably a backing as worn previously by the Leicesters with the East Anglian Brigade cap badge.
The 1965 newsletter intended for Royal Leicester veterans has a paragraph reporting the return of 4 R ANGLIAN from a short tour in Aden. 4 R ANGLIAN were in the UK Strategic Reserve before moving to Malta.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2722CA6-4CC5-4296-A0E4-348C87B6FA2E.jpg (56.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 81CEE669-A92B-4DC7-A158-3E6DE32E0206.jpg (32.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 16-12-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 16-12-20, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
The soldiers are from the 4th (Leicestershire) Battalion of the Royal Anglian Regiment (formed in September 1964). This photo of CSgt Davis BEM is from the final Autumn 1964 issue of The Green Tiger the journal of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment. The CSgt is clearly wearing a (green?) cloth backing to his Royal Anglian cap badge. Presumably a backing as worn previously by the Leicesters with the East Anglia Brigade cap badge.
The 1965 newsletter intended for Royal Leicester veterans has a paragraph reporting the return of 4 R ANGLIAN from a short tour in Aden. 4 R ANGLIAN were in the UK Strategic Reserve before moving to Malta.

Tim

Looks similar Tim, think we may have cracked it.

Did any of the other R.Anglian battalions wear a backing prior to the black tombstone?
Old 16-12-20, 12:53 PM

Up until 1960 the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment wore a distinctive red and blue backing to the regimental cap badge in the dark blue beret. They merged with the Northamptonshire regiment in 1960 to form the 2nd Battalion East Anglian Regiment and put up the Brigade cap badge presumably without a backing until 1964 when they became 2nd Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 95574905-35D7-46E9-AC91-DAE1D10673C3.jpeg (29.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 16-12-20, 01:39 PM

It's not that one in the 1st image . Far too large.
Old 16-12-20, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
It's not that one in the 1st image . Far too large.
Mike no it is not.
I provided the full detail in Post 8 that the image in the first post is of soldiers in Aden (1965) from 4 EAST ANGLIAN wearing a former Royal Leicester cap badge backing as worn by CSgt Davis.
You asked about badge backing in other Battalions so I showed the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment pre 1960 version. I doubt it followed through when they amalgamated with the Northamptonshire Regiment.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 16-12-20 at 02:34 PM.
Old 16-12-20, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Mike no it is not.
I provided the full detail in Post 8 that the image in the first post is of soldiers in Aden (1965) from 4 EAST ANGLIAN wearing a former Royal Leicester cap badge backing as worn by CSgt Davis.
You asked about badge backing in other Battalions so I showed the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment pre 1960 version. I doubt it followed through when they amalgamated with the Northamptonshire Regiment.

Tim

Tim,I was referring to the Lincolnshire backing,not the Leicester backing. The Leicester is right I think. The Lincoln would be too big for what's in the Aden image.
Old 16-12-20, 04:51 PM

I was agreeing with you! My 'No it is not' meant it is not the backing in the first image.

Tim
Old 16-12-20, 05:26 PM

Old age Tim sorry.
I had a mouch and found for sale on a site. A green felt tombstone backing to the Royal Leicestershire Regt. It's similar in shape and size to the KRH red tombstone. Different to the Leicester one shown in the images.