British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-04-13, 10:55 AM

Incredible.

I remember whilst i was first getting interested in militaria there were many " rules " that collectors went by, many taken from reference books written by people without access to the incredible source that is the internet. " If it's ******* it's a fake. " " They never made them with that on " etc etc etc.
Many of them debunked now because of internet forums and research databases.

However, the history that these veterans take with them to the grave is what i love. My grandfathers stories from the war are priceless.
Old 19-04-13, 12:16 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipcress View Post
Hi
I wondered if someone could help identify these. Are they NCO's sleeve / arm badges ? The backplates look silvered.

They were part of a collection that was sold at auction a few years ago and i hung on to these but going to sell now so need to be sure of their background ! I haven't checked Kipling / King for ages.

Thanks
Ipcress,
They look far too concave to be arm badges, the ones I have seen are much 'flatter' than the ones you have posted. If you have a look at the ones shown in L&D, or Peter Seamans one on WR units, these are almost flat. Yours look more button shaped. What are the dimensions? The quality in the badge itself is very good, The 26H one looks like it could be an officers gilded one. Even the 25thD one looks to be of good quality.
David

Last edited by wright241; 19-04-13 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 19-04-13, 12:20 PM

The length of a thumb ? No tape measure nearby, sorry !

They're originals, pretty sure of that, just trying to ascertain what for !!
It was an extensive collection that had been in an attic for years. I just wish i'd kept the 3rd Carabiniers to link them together
Old 19-04-13, 01:44 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:

They're originals, pretty sure of that, just trying to ascertain what for !!
It was an extensive collection that had been in an attic for years. I just wish i'd kept the 3rd Carabiniers to link them together
Ipcress,
Just to help this along, I have measured the cap badges I have. I have a 26H arm badge on its way to me, but it won't be until next week now as we don't have a Sat delivery here.

The 25thD O/R's Cap is 35.5mm high x 29mm wide.
The 26thH officers gilt CapB is 34.5mm high x 35.5mm wide - the O/R's version is another 1mm wider - maybe manufacturing differences.
I noticed that your 'gilt looking' 26H badge has N/S lugs - or are my eyes + memory getting to me.... Whereas the officers CapB has E/W lugs on the wing tips.

Rgds, David
Old 19-04-13, 02:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:

They're originals, pretty sure of that
The oval discs might be original (?) but one thing for certain is that the 25th Dragoons badge mounted on one of them is 100% reproduction! It has the "Telltale" areas of Gm which connect/extend the central "X" to the crown above and base scroll below and the font to the base scroll is undersized, the "O's" should be circular and not "0"val!

See below!

Best regards

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (2).jpg (115.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 19-04-13, 03:26 PM
Former Member

Having looked closer at the 26th Hussars badge the font style on the base scroll is more like that found on reproduction badges than it is on the originals!! A genuine OR and Officer example shown below! I think the badges shown at the start of this thread are elaborate copies?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (3).jpg (77.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 19-04-13, 06:16 PM

It doesn't surprise me at all, I'd say there are probably as many 'bazaar' 25th Dragoons badges around as there are genuine UK produced ones. I wouldn't hesitate to add one to my collection, maybe one a bit nicer looking though.
Old 19-04-13, 09:48 PM

Good evening gentlemen,

Over the years I have met many former 25th Dragoons mainly during the course of my research into the insignia and dress distinctions of the regiment This for my book "For Hostilities Only" and by far the most common badge I encountered was as the example shown - theatre made. Some heavily worn and others not so. A few of the men did have UK produced items but they were in the minority.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 19-04-13, 09:54 PM

Good evening Gentlemen,

Both the 25th Dragoons and 26th Hussars badges are reproductions for the reasons given. I have seen back plates similar to those depicted which were made out of the bowl ends of large spoons.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 22-04-13, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Must admit i'm surprised though as these had been stored away for years.

Any thoughts as to when the badges were made ? And is the value therefore only a pound or two ?
Old 22-04-13, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Must admit i'm surprised though as these had been stored away for years.

Any thoughts as to when the badges were made ? And is the value therefore only a pound or two ?
Ipcress, No idea when they were made, but as they are not the genuine article, you could be right on the price. I don't recall seeing these types of badges being faked in the 70's -> on. The common fakes in those days (that I saw on a regular basis) were the re-strike Fox glengarries, Irish Militia badges and the 14th YC badges. I assume that "Stored away" for years might mean 10-20??.
Good luck, David
Old 22-04-13, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Ipcress, No idea when they were made, but as they are not the genuine article, you could be right on the price. I don't recall seeing these types of badges being faked in the 70's -> on. The common fakes in those days (that I saw on a regular basis) were the re-strike Fox glengarries, Irish Militia badges and the 14th YC badges. I assume that "Stored away" for years might mean 10-20??.
Good luck, David
Yes, well over a decade and although the collection was added to late on, most of it was purchased before the mid 80's / 1990.

Would anyone like to see what else there was in the collection ? I think the auction is still stored online.
Old 01-01-14, 10:56 AM

Default Another 25th Dragoons badge

Before I chuck this one I would welcome comments please. What does make me wonder is the slider which has a shiny ( chromed ? ) appearance, not what you expect on a dud.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1937.jpg (60.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1938.jpg (70.7 KB, 87 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-01-14, 11:09 AM

Looks Indian made, could be a seventies pakistan copy or a theatre made one,
plated over sliders common on an indian badge, Where did they serve?
Old 01-01-14, 11:12 AM

Burma, looks cast so could well be a good one, Kev

Tags
25th dragoons