British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-08, 11:53 AM

Default tank badge

no its not original.
Old 18-08-08, 11:59 AM

OK thank you.Can you tell me how you can see it's not an original piece??
Old 18-08-08, 12:32 PM
Badge Guru

This dealer boasts he was the first man to supply large quantities of original LRDG to collectors.

Large quantities of badges for such a small unit
Old 18-08-08, 12:52 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick1974 View Post
Is there anyone that confirm that this is an original WW1 Tank corps badge??
tank corps badge
Patrick,
There is also an officers silver/bronze version on page 3 of my album - this one has a Gaunt tablet on the back - I only mention this cos' I am unable to view Ebay items from where I work - so I don't know which type you are referring to.
david
Old 18-08-08, 01:24 PM

Thanks a lot for all of your opinions regarding this badge and ''seller''I did a cross check with the badge provided by Mike and the fake ebay badge doesn't even comes close to the original one.

Last edited by Alan O; 02-11-10 at 07:30 AM.
Old 18-08-08, 01:36 PM

I have found another one and this is i believe a genuine WW1 badge.

Tank corps badge
Old 31-01-09, 03:12 PM

Default Unusual RTR and TC

A couple of less usual badges for comment:
1. Tank Corps - this is a more detailed die and not a form I've seen elsewhere...points include..the "bar" by the idler wheel is not a solid bar, but is 2 hollow circle connected with a bar: Void between crown and upper scroll: dofferent sprocket wheel circle: different berry detail above "p" on scroll: finer detail on small upper dots on crown brim etc. Generally has more/finer detail etc than usual badgers, so I think is unlikely a forger would have increased the complexity etc of a design.
2. Silver plated RTR KC, made of an unusual base metal (wird sheen to it) and 3 loops!
Any comments from the wise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rtr sp.jpg (38.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg rtr sp b.jpg (32.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg rtr sp b1.jpg (42.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg tank corps version.jpg (33.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg tank corps version b.jpg (32.0 KB, 103 views)
Old 31-01-09, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

There are indeed 2 genuine designs which differ in the number of voids.

The 'bar' comment may come from an ill-informed 'expert' on the GWF who had a collection of fake lugged TC badges he was convinced were genuine and was in complete denial that TC OR badges were only made with sliders. Ignore it as it is spurious.

For the officers badge the 'P' is usual on a silver plated badge made by Gaunts.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 31-01-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 31-01-09, 08:25 PM

Alan, I think you misunderstand - "bar" refers to a feature on the design, ie a thick rod, or whatever you want to call the feature of a raised, short, straight, very fat line.
Not been on any other forum
Old 31-01-09, 08:39 PM
Badge Guru

Forum member opinions can always be changed assuming the correct evidence can be provided to back up the claim. I think many are actually avoiding the Tank Corps lug question. I personaly do not wish to offend one of the well respected dealers on this forum.

I am on the fence about it myself due to the fact the TC was one of the largest corps of the British Army. I dont believe just one manufacturer could produce all those badges during war time and during the post war years before the formation of the RTC.
Old 31-01-09, 08:45 PM

Smile

Hi all...I seemed to have stumbled upon something I'm completelely unaware of, or a long-running sore?! I've no idea what people are referring to here? Could someone explain to me what the replies are talking about.
Many thanks
Old 31-01-09, 08:59 PM
Badge Guru

gilesosborne, It is something of an old chestnut here. Should TC badges be with slider or lugs or even both? There are people who will argue for either, but I think its best just to leave that sleeping dragon alone. If people want to collect either it is their money at the end of the day.

Back to your badges. I think the Gaunt sliver plated example is really a rather nice badge. I have seen some war time and post war badges marked with P so it may be slightly difficult to date that.

Your TC badge I really am not sure about. The dark colouration of the badge and rather highly polished slider and braise I believe does not do the badge any favours.

As long as you bought the two as a pair I`m sure you havent lost out. The Gaunt badge is a very nice item and by far the more valuable and rarer officer grade item.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 31-01-09 at 09:09 PM.
Old 31-01-09, 09:08 PM

I'm afraid the tank corps one I've had for some time...the slider appears to be a repair/replacement. It's the extra intracacy of the detail ( the rewduced resolution for posting doesn't show all) and the "more difficult to produce(?)" pattern that has me pondering...has this design been seen elsewhere? Surely a faker would not produce a more detailed/difficult badge compared to the originals?
Appears to be BB.
Old 31-01-09, 09:15 PM
Badge Guru

It certainly looks unusual for a repair. I would expect a repaired badge to be in a state of polish. It may of been cooked in an oven which might explain the patination?

Regardless it shouldnt be a hard badge to replace if you chose to do so. To be honest there are some really good fakes going around. A ebay seller local to me put an example on eBay recently that had a slider and heavily polished. I had handled this badge before he listed it and sadly the badge bent in my hand like putty, it was duff and I couldnt tell the difference with just a visual examination.
Old 31-01-09, 09:19 PM

Here's closer detail of the idler bar and finer crown band detail...also the badge is very deeply stuk, with very tall relief at the deepest and different, stepped depthths in the laurel leaves depending upon whether they are central or peripheral... a lot of effort it appears
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank corps version 2.jpg (38.0 KB, 110 views)

Tags
rtc, tank corps