British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-10, 02:04 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile !7th Lancers Motto

Gentlemen

Going back to the begining re the Brass 17th Lancers Motto, please see my previous posts re 17 L Mottos.

The motto looks good to me, with the exception of its colour, I have 2 very dark brass mottos with sliders, the sliders have a slight taper about 42 mm long. Both Mottos have "ears" like the pre 1900 Mottos with lugs. The motto shown has the ears and a slider, I'm sorry I still have not worked out how to post photos but from my knowledge of 17 L Mottos its ok apart from the colour which looks more like Wm than brass in the photos and the problem may be in the photo rather than the Motto.

Also I have never seen a brass Motto with lugs, the only lugged Mottos are Wm in both Cap and Field Service Cap size, ie about 39 mm and 30mm top to bottom

I hope that this helps
Old 23-09-10, 02:22 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Ive always thought the cap badge that was worn during WW1 was brass. There was one on eBay a while ago, the only right one Ive ever seen, it came with a bed plate. After double checking my book they should be in guilded metal for WW1, so yes brass.

P.S. This isnt a cap badge, it was refered to by the 17th, 17th/21st and QRL as the 'Motto'.
Hi Jibba Jabba

Yes you are correct re the use of the title of the Motto, good to see that you make this distinction. I also deal with Regt HQ, we need to educate the masses in this regard.

By the way I an descended from a 17th Lancer Light Brigade member & survivor.

Cheers

Phil.
Old 23-09-10, 06:17 AM

The official list of cavalry all GM 1916 issues is not as clear cut for the cavalry as for the infantry. However, there was one overriding principle that govered all these 1916 issues: all badges hitherto made in german silver (= WM) shall remain in WM. I don't have the exact wording in front of me now - I've pasted it elsewhere on the Forum before - but this is repeated throughout the whole documentation on the series. All the information is in publically accesssible archives.

Tags
1916 all brass, economy